Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-14, 9:44am
Flamewoman

Default What am I?

At craft and art show, people always say "oh you are a glassblower"
I am not sure if that applies to me. I melt glass and make only solid things, I do boro pendants mostly, some beads. I do not blow things hollow, I don't make pipes or vessels. Am I a Lampworker, or Flameworker, or Glassblower?
What title is most appropriate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2011-02-14, 9:51am
Who me?

Lampworker, or Flameworker
Old 2011-02-14, 10:49am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

ahhh yes. i too have have struggled with that question ,mary. i've decided to use what i consider proper terminology and call myself a lampworker. and use it as an opportunity to spread a lil information ,and where the term lampwork came from. not sure why but the term glassblower makes me uncomfortable.

Old 2011-02-14, 1:11pm
I'm a lilac!

I go with lampworker or glassworker.

Old 2011-02-14, 1:26pm
Queen Tut ;)

Because people think of lamps if I say "lampworker", I just say..."I make glass beads". If they want to know more, I explain lampworking to them.

Old 2011-02-14, 2:31pm

Business Owner? Artist?

I'm like Jenne - I usually go with I make my own glass beads.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-02-14, 7:14pm
Flamewoman

Ha hahaha you don't know how many times I have been asked if I could take a look at someone's lamp that is broken. That's why I don't go with that term, "Lampwork"
I think I like "Flamework Artist" the best. It sounds......dangerous and artsy. I like that.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2011-02-15, 3:41am
Unmedicated since '62

yes, i usually say lampworker, which is usually followed by them saying "oh, you make lamps, how interesting"

sigh...

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-15, 4:05am
Mad about Glass

I have used lampworker in the past but much prefer flameworker - it is much more accurate.

[url]

Old 2011-02-15, 6:03am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yes, i usually say lampworker, which is usually followed by them saying "oh, you make lamps, how interesting"

sigh...
That's the reaction I get too. I say Flameworker who makes glass beads.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2011-02-15, 1:16pm
Mary Lockwood

I say "Glass worker."

They respond, 'Oh like the spun glass in the mall?'

I say "No, I melt glass in a torch flame to make beads and small display pieces."

They say, "Oh, you're a glass blower"

If I see genuine interest in their eyes I will go on to explain that I'm actually a 'lampworker' and tell them more about the process.

If I think they're just being polite and their eyes begin to glaze over then I just say, "Yes...like a glassblower'. Not a complete lie because I do some small blown pieces but when most people think glassblower they think furnace.

So, my answer isn't completely accurate I suppose, but it has evolved from years of explaining exactly what I do to people and thinking they 'get it' only to have them introduce me to new people as 'my friend the glassblower'.

LOL
~~Mary

Old 2011-02-16, 8:54am
Glass-aholic

A lot of beads, especially commercial murano beads are called "hand blown" Taking this into consideration and a bit of Italian glass history, noting there was a split at one point in time in which glass blowers started to experiment with lamp work, using a modified lamp, with forced air to melt glass, I consider myself a glassblower specializing in torch work/flame work/lampwork.

When people tell me I am a glass blower, or ask, I say yes, but glass blowing is split into torch work, and furnace work, and I do the torch work. This usually satisfies them.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-02-16, 9:27am
Salt Box Beads

We either work in cold glass, Warm glass or Hot glass. I always say I work in hot glass.

I do some fusing and slumping but my main venue of work in hot glass is called "lampworking'. Gives a great opportunity to introduce someone to the glass world.

The excerpt below is from Wikipedia:

"Warm glass or kiln-formed glass is the working of glass, usually for artistic purposes, by heating it in a kiln. The processes used depend on the temperature reached and range from fusing and slumping to casting.

'Warm' glass is in contrast to the many cold-working glass processes, such as leaded glass. 'Hot' glass, glass blowing or lampworking is the working of glass in a direct flame, such as for laboratory glassware and beadmaking."

Lorraine
Old 2011-02-16, 10:54am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I get this question a lot. I prefer not to use the word "blower" to describe myself for so many reasons. I say "I'm a lampwork glass artist" or if I suspect they will ask me about lamps I just say "I'm a glass artist" That covers it all because i also make stained glass mosaics out of found objects also. Good question though...
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon