Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-07-02, 11:36am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Default Glass Weight

I am here because I have an issue which I hope is a mistake on my part to say the least! Here goes...... Does anyone ever weigh their glass when they get their shipments especially when they order more than a pound of glass of any one color?

I ask because I placed an order several months ago when Frantz had a huge sale on their vetro odd colors. Now I split up the glass in pound increments when adding it to the cart (adding first a pound then going back and placing another pound in the cart) I did this so I could keep track as I was also ordering for a friend, we were splitting the order up.

Well the glass arrived and the colors were all bound together so I had what I thought were 2 pounds of this color and 2 pounds of that (etc) and the glass sat in my studio collecting dust until last week.

My friend had contacted me and reminded me that we had ordered this glass and if I could please ship it to her. I go the glass out yucky melted rubber bands and all still on the bundles and set about measuring out the colors.... well not one bundle was 2 pounds in fact most were just a hair over 1.5lbs.

I am not sure if I should contact Frantz since the order sat for so long but it got me thinking that in looks it appeared I had 2lbs and my invoice showed that as well but when it came to the actual weight there is no way I had 2 lbs of glass per color?????

I am just a bit perplexed and would love feedback on what to do if anything. It was my understanding that glass was weighed and that rod count was not how glass was measured unless a vendor sells by the rod which Frantz does not.

I have already shipped out the glass to my friend since it had been so long so on my end there is really no burden of proof anymore
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just feel like any area where I am potentially loosing money is one I need to fix.

Thank you all for advice on this matter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-02, 12:07pm

My first question is what kind of a scale are you using for weighing? Very few scales are capable of measuring a pound or two. And have you contacted Mike at Frantz? They are an awesome company, and I don't believe they would ever undervalue a shipment.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:24pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I think you should still contact mike at frantz, regardless of it being a few months.

Old 2012-07-02, 12:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

My guess is it's your scale as well... charging you for 2 pounds and only sending you 1.5 would royally screw up their inventory counts. Just my POV as a vendor...

Old 2012-07-02, 1:43pm

I often weigh my glass as it arrives because I often split orders with a friend to save on shipping. My digital scale is able to weigh small amounts accurately.

I would call Frantz.
Old 2012-07-02, 2:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Do you still have the invoice? Frantz charges by exact weight, so your glass may be a little more than what you ordered, and hypothetically a little less. Perhaps they were low on a color or two. Perhaps you accidentally added an additional 1/2 lb. instead of 1 lb.

If you are going by memory, then you should chalk it up as a lesson learned. I'm not sure how long is too long to correct a mistake, but long enough to have the rubber bands atrophy is probably too long.

I'm guilty of the same thing, not opening a glass package for a while, until I am low on a color. I don't usually weigh my glass to verify that it matches the order unless there appears to be an obvious discrepancy. I've never come up short though,

One thing I have learned is to check off the box contents against invoice or packing slip. I am pretty sure I tossed out some crinkle dichro with the box and another time a jar of frit ...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-02, 3:04pm
fritaholic

I always weigh my glass and have NEVER been shorted by Frantz. If anything, they go over the weight ordered. I have also asked them to not combine bundles of the same color and they have been wonderful about it.

My guess is that your scale is not accurate.

Lisa
Old 2012-07-02, 7:48pm

Thank you all for your coming in and helping me out- I am not sure what is wrong since the scale I used it calibrated for up to 30lbs and is postal regulated- I had it calibrated at the post office and for packages it is identical to the weight shown on their scales- I have this kind since we ship a lot of personal goods to Bolivia (family lives there). My invoice is correct I checked that I had it and on one color it was actually a little over 2.1 lbs. That said I have been ordering from Frantz for over 7 years and that is why I am so perplexed! I have never measured my glass either and like I said if you counted the rods they were spot on if you account that you have approx 6 rods per quarter lb that is why I never second guessed it.

As for the rubber bands I have an outdoor studio so 1 week in the heat here in SoFl is enough to melt those puppies

The order was placed in and received in January- the only thing I can think of is that the rods over hang from the scale enough that it was not properly weighing the glass. Kinda like when you hang onto the edge of the sink when you weigh yourself

I feel like since this is a first time thing and no one else has EVER had any experience in this I will chalk it up to something funny with the scale. My other thought is that the postal service is off somehow which in this case is a good thing since they are underweighing things ROFL!!!!!

Anyway I thank you all for confirming what I suspected was a scale problem but was not sure since I have never run into this before.

Hugs to all!!

Old 2012-07-02, 7:49pm

Lisa- I will be sure to do that in the future since I often split my orders with my friend- usually she asks for a specific number of rods and I do the math. I really do love the staff at Frantz they have always helped me in the past!

Old 2012-07-03, 7:59am

It shouldn't matter much whether your glass rods overhang the scale's edges, unless they are resting on something else. As long as they are balanced in the center on the scale. I know at least one vendor whose scale is that size (they just put a U-shaped holder on it to keep glass from rolling off), and it seems fine.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-03, 8:57am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

IIRC, Frantz doesn't actually bill until they pull and weigh, so you may order 2 lbs, but they've pulled & billed you for 2.1 lbs, or however it comes out.

I really can't imagine Frantz overcharging like that.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:45pm

I would contact them anyway. They have the inentory paper from your order (where they pull and check off what you bought) and they can also tell by the weight of the package if the order was off or not. Anyone can make a mistake. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-07-04, 12:49am
Naysayer

Yeah I dunno though Paula, January? I think it's been too long. Imagine if someone ordered beads back then and were maybe shorted and contacted you now lol.
Old 2012-07-04, 7:31am

I've done the same thing myself. Put a box away and opened it 6 months later!! Something similar happened to me so I know it can be checked after the fact. Records are easy to pull up on a computer. Especially shipping weight. And I know that Frantz would want to do the right thing! If they don't have the records any more they can tell you. Personally I keep those packing slips a long time. Good luck!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-07-04, 9:56am

Thank you for your input Paula but seeing as I have already shipped part of that order off to the other girl I don't even have a way to re-weigh and send a photograph to them. I have chalked it up to a possible error on my scale not Frantz.

I just hate to call them with now only partial evidence to show them. I also was curious to see if this had happened to anyone else and since it does not appear it has then it actually puts my mind at ease that it is probably my scale.

I have never had a problem with them before so I am just going to let this rest. I will have my postal guy take a look at the scale after the July 4th Holiday and see if it could be off especially since I have been doing quite a bit of shipping lately. The scale is very sensitive so I could have just messed something up.

I just don't want them to think I am trying to get something for nothing which is how this will look given that so much time has gone by