Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-16, 12:59pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Bead Release -- Safe in Fish Tanks?

I have a customer asking about placing a bead in her fish tank.
I just ordered the BeaDreamer (Yea! thanks to LE peeps help and advice!) so I hope to eliminate that potential issue, but now I am curious--is the release--even in small amounts-toxic to fish/in fish tanks?
Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-01-16, 1:05pm

being that it's basically clay and diatomaceous earth, my gut says no, but i'm not aquarium expert.
i could see it maybe being bad for a reef tank or something along those lines but again, i have no basis for that.
Old 2014-01-16, 5:30pm
Now part of the Dark Side

It should be fine, both are basically inert. If you were going to pour a whole jar in the tank it would not be a good idea, it would form a coloidial suspension and never clear. When I kept fish I used a diatomaceous earth filter once a month to "polish" the water.
Old 2014-01-16, 7:07pm
Senior Moment

I wouldn't put it directly in the tank. Used in a filter is one thing, it's not floating freely in the tank and they're not ingesting it or inhaling it. I worry it would clog their digestive tracts or gills.

In some ways I see it like not washing it down the drain, as it can clog the pipes.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-01-16, 7:09pm

I think she's referring to small amounts of bead release left in a bead after cleaning.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-01-16, 7:51pm

Foster fire and some others may be fine.
A few companys add other things to the mix.
The volume left in you beads is pretty small to start with.

Old 2014-01-16, 9:24pm

I used my lampwork beads in my 55 gallon tank with no issues. They looked great and no health issues as far as I could tell, I had my tank 3 years with them in it.
Old 2014-01-17, 12:02am
Naysayer

I make beads for my bettas and change them out, they like to look at them, swear they do lol! They're in no smaller than 2 gallon tanks and they're fine.
Old 2014-01-17, 2:01pm
Senior Moment

*head slap* Duh. Thanx for clearing that up for me Melissa; who knows what I was thinking LOL

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-01-17, 3:22pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Cool everybody!
I thought it would be a fairly low risk but wanted to ask.
Plus I broke down and bought a BeaDreamer bit so that should really eliminate any BR left after cleaning...fingers crossed!
Thanks again!!!

Old 2014-01-17, 4:30pm

I've got mandrel made (and off mandrel) fish in my fish tank. They were cleaned well and everyone seems to be pretty happy.

Old 2014-01-17, 7:29pm

Has anyone tried putting beads in reef tanks? Anything to be concerned about?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-01-18, 1:33pm

I made our beta fish a glass tunnel a couple of years ago and he sleeps in it all the time.
Old 2014-01-18, 1:38pm

This is a really bad picture, but the tunnel is dark blue with a yellow man in the moon face and white frit. I made it on one of those large mandrels from Arrow Springs.
Attached Images

Old 2014-01-18, 1:44pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
Has anyone tried putting beads in reef tanks? Anything to be concerned about?
I don't own a reef tank but have been wanting one most of my life so I've done a ton of research off and on over the years. I would pretty much say no to art glass in a reef tank unless you know exactly what's in it and that nothing that will come out will hurt any of the corals. Heavy metals are likely to be very bad for them. They are so sensitive and expensive that I wouldn't chance it. Interested to hear if anyone has, though.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-01-25, 8:07pm

I appreciate that you're asking. I have a saltwater fish tank and those are expensive fish. I think the crucial thing is what's in the bead release. I'd want to find the bead release that was most basic. I'd think if you use the most simple formula bead release, check the ingredients if possible with a local fish specialty shop, and then clean the living daylights out of them, they'd probably be ok. Maybe your local fish shop would even end up buying some It's common to spend $40 plus for a fish so I'll be someone would pay a lot for a beautiful ornament for the tank--I would

Tags
bead release, fish tanks