No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-02-14, 11:39pm

Default propane tank on ground floor studio on second

Hi
I just bought an oxycon-- airsep newlife 5LPM. My bottled gas (probably propane) is on the ground outside and safely piped up to the second floor room where the torch is. My torch is a Minor. How do I set the psi for the gas? My husband says that pressure is lost during the climb. The regulator is at the tank.

Jo Ann
Old 2011-02-14, 11:50pm
Alaska Boro

With the Acetylene welding type set it at 5 psi unless the torch needs more fuel. The overall flame adjustment is at the torch so you will most likely not see any significant difference.

If you need more heat then a little higher pressure can be used. But with one 5 LPM machine 5 psi should work just fine for your fuel.
Old 2011-02-15, 9:59am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonina View Post
Hi
I just bought an oxycon-- airsep newlife 5LPM. My bottled gas (probably propane) is on the ground outside and safely piped up to the second floor room where the torch is. My torch is a Minor. How do I set the psi for the gas? My husband says that pressure is lost during the climb. The regulator is at the tank.

Jo Ann
Ummm..... No.... Pressure is lost if hose or pipe is to small and there is to much resistance to flow (volume)... Going UP has nothing to do with it. If pressure/flame seems weak at torch, bump up pressure at regulator somewhat, but it really should not matter.... Have you tried this setup or is discussion purely academic at this point....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-02-15, 8:24pm
Cat herder

Liquids will lose pressure as they climb due to their weight (noticeable in the plumbing in tall buildings). Gases (like regulated propane) won't noticeably lose pressure since their weight is negligible compared to the pressure.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-02-16, 8:36am

Not academic. We tried at 4 psi and had a very weak flame. Bumped to around 6. The flame is now usable but not strong. But I have never worked with an oxycon before so am not clear if that is just the way it is. Is there a reason not to try it a bit higher?
Jo Ann
Old 2011-02-16, 8:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

Run oxycon at 4.5 to 5 lpm (4.5 will have better purity) and run oxygen valve on torch all the way open, and adjust flame size and chemistry with fuel knob....

Oxycon will not have same "push" as tanked oxygen..One oxycon just produces a acceptable flame not a really robust flame....

Also how long is propane "run" to second floor and what size hose-pipe is it?

All things considered a minor will run adequately on about 0.4psi (about 11-13 Inches Water(IW)) which is same as most natural gas supplies in US, at 6 psi you are about 15x the minimum amount of pressure minor requires to operate ...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-02-16 at 8:56am.
Old 2011-02-16, 8:55am

Copper tubing is 5/16" and run is around 9 meters long.
Jo Ann
Old 2011-02-16, 1:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonina View Post
Copper tubing is 5/16" and run is around 9 meters long.
Jo Ann
Should be ok....

Dale

Old 2011-02-17, 9:48am

If its ok, then why did I need to bump up to 6? If its not the height then is it the run?
And is it safe? What would be the highest that is safe?
And where are my manners? Thank you so much for helping us.
Jo Ann
Old 2011-02-17, 11:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Possible tubing is a little small (but I would not think so) and you needed a little extra volume... And what else did you change in all the "motions" going on to get problem solved.... Possibly something else changed and you were not aware of in the "process"....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-03-06 at 8:45am.
Old 2011-03-06, 8:24am
Glass-aholic

I have my propane regulator on about 8-10 on the gauge (of course you are also adjusting what you are using at the torch, which will be less than 8 I hope!!). My torch runs better at this setting. If it is any lower it breathes, or just does not get enough pressure to hold a good flame. I am not playing with a huge flame here either. My oxy con is a 5lpm.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: