Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-06-17, 6:15am

I think that by experimenting on your own you teach yourself to think outside the box and this is how new ideas are born. The pay off is huge.
This is what the people who are writing the unique tutorials are doing and it is a wonderful way to make money for them and gives the people who buy them a short cut. That experimenting takes a lot of time you need to be paid .
Short cuts are great at times I love them but I like to try to figure things out on my own it gives the grey matter a workout and if after many failed attemps I cave and look at the
answers I don't beat myself up too much. On that journey I will have learned something
by trail and error and it will somewhat satisfy my need to do it on my own.
I own about fifteen tutorials and some I have only glanced at but don't mind paying for something someone else has worked to figure out. Then there are the people who are trying to make a dime selling what is already available that is a insult . If it is in a basic book that
is on the market for $30 and you want $10 for one of fifty techniques already out there ? creepy
Old 2012-06-17, 6:40am
Lava Maker

I couldn't agree more, at 63, I think a jump start is perfectly OK.

I hope to be lampworking for many years, but one never knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesbeads View Post
This thread has inspired me to go buy another tutorial. I would like to say thank you to all the tut writers who have taken the time to share their expertise. I haven't been able to take a class with anyone yet, this is a great substitue. I feel lucky to be part of a community who shares their knowledge so freely. THANK YOU!

Ann DeHoff

Last edited by dehoffa; 2012-06-21 at 8:41am. Reason: Added quote of thead I was replying to
Old 2012-06-21, 7:37am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I wish I had time to read everything, however wanted to throw my two cents in here... I have purchased many tutorials about things I already knew how to do, but I wanted to learn somebody elses ideas on doing it. And often you learn other things too unrelated to that specific bead.

I cant believe you actually thought that encouraging others to do their research starts well by insulting majority of the people here...
Old 2012-06-21, 8:39am
Lava Maker

Just for the record, I just bought another e-tutorial read and looked at the photos. As I read through it, I did the following:

Popping forhead with but of hand, Oh, that's how it's done. Makes so much sense and I'm goiig to use it many, many, many times. Therefore, the costs spread over the many, many,many beads, is negligible.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-06-21, 11:05am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by riosanjuan View Post
Isn't there an old adage that says: " Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

WRONG! Most lampworking instructors have paid their dues by "doing" first and then being requested to teach and end up passing on their valuable knowledge through classes.

Five years ago you could find lots of tutorials here and most of them were free. Now it is rare to find a free tutorial.

WRONG AGAIN!As you can plainly see in the tutorials section there are a lot of freebie tuts posted weekly. Not all are actual techniques for making beads, lots of other lampworking area tuts available for free also.

If you you see a bead you like, try to figure out how to make it. You will learn far more than you would from a tutorial.

WRONG A THIRD TIME! I, and I am quite sure others try to fiqure techniques out. Sometimes I can't. That is when I buy a tut and then I learn so much more than when I tried to FIGURE IT OUT on my own.

And forget about all the BS that you may be stealing somone else's design.
There are no beads on this site that haven't already been made sometime in the last 2,000 years.
WRONG FOR A FOURTH TIME!

The beads made today are so far advanced from the beads of 2000 years ago with all kinds of different coes, rare earth minerals, additives, tools involved and techniques which have brought bead making into the 21st century.

Ignorance must be bliss....
Old 2012-06-21, 11:18am
Lava Maker

Default button tutortial

I downloaded a free tut posed in the Button exchange and created the button. I would have totally paid for this.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-06-21, 11:34am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
WRONG FOR A FOURTH TIME!

The beads made today are so far advanced from the beads of 2000 years ago with all kinds of different coes, rare earth minerals, additives, tools involved and techniques which have brought bead making into the 21st century.

Ignorance must be bliss....
I think I love you lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-21, 4:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Old 2012-06-30, 4:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieswonder View Post
I have been deep in many expensive hobbies in my lifetime, and this is the only one where the others in the hobby try to sell their knowledge.
Really, I wonder what hobbies? I also have been deep in many very expensive hobbies and I have found the lampworking community in general and especially the LE community to be one of the most generous with their knowledge that I have ever encountered. Even the tutorials are a terrific bargain, and I have learned so much from each and every one. It is not your right to be given information that others have spent their time and money to develop, those that choose to teach and give advice without asking for anything in return are giving a tremendous gift, and one that should be appreciated. Even those who choose to share their knowledge for a fee are giving a gift...how many amazing techniques have been lost over the years because the person who developed it never shared and in my opinion, while the loss is a shame, the knowledge was theirs to do with as they wish. If you are serious about lampworking, then sit down, participate and listen; you will learn a whole lot more that way than you will by insulting this fine group of people.

Nikki

Nikki