No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-08, 1:19pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
If you're going to try plunging a murrini cane that's as thick as a thin rod, then I would plunge it, and then nip it off with nippers. You get the hang of it after a few cuts.

-Amy
I know I saw a video of it once, that gave instructions on what kind of nippers and how to hold them. Sorry I can't remember where or what it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-03-08, 1:22pm
as in the state

I have done it and seen it in class, I think it was with Larry Scott. But he's not the only one I've seen do it.

I have the japanese nippers, but any nippers you have will work, whatever you are most comfortable with. The process just makes you wish you had a third arm..

-Amy
Old 2010-03-09, 6:40am

Quote:
I have done it and seen it in class, I think it was with Larry Scott. But he's not the only one I've seen do it.

I have the japanese nippers, but any nippers you have will work, whatever you are most comfortable with. The process just makes you wish you had a third arm..

-Amy
my sis is a puppet freak & she always said instead of another puppet for christmas one year she was going to ask for an extra arm, like the guy in hitchhiker's guide!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-09, 10:50am
as in the state

I have LONG said a third arm instead of boobs would have been SO much more appropriate for me. I didn't get much by way of boobs, and they're pretty useless in my book. A 3rd arm would ROCK!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-18, 11:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Dichroic Videos

I wanted to let people know that the Delphi site has a neat Dichroic video. I just watched it. Here's a link to it:

http://images.delphiglass.com/flash/...the_flame.html

The Devardi site has many video clips on using their Dichroic and their YouTube link is:

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#p/u
Old 2010-03-18, 11:25am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Thanks so much for the Davardi link! I didn't know they now have a video with the dichro beads, and I was hoping for one. I'm surprised how long he keeps it in the flame without losing the color. The video address all the things I've since learned about working with this glass. I'm looking forward to trying the beads again.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-03-18, 12:02pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Yes, it really makes a difference to be able to watch them handling it and working in the flame. Glad it helped you too!
Old 2010-03-18, 10:12pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

As far as the 7mm murrini's are concerned... Now, I'm still a newbie and this may be absolutely out of the question but what about pre-heating the murrini, attach to a clear rod and try and pull the murrini into a small diameter? I guess the image would be smaller but if the murrini's are just breaking apart when trying to slice them... no harm trying ~ eh?

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-03-19, 8:44am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Guys! Popping in from my thread-stalker mode for a suggestion

I would think you may have luck with the plunge/snap method with a murrini rod of 6-7mm, but depending on your bead release, how long you've worked/how "hard" you've worked (twisted, pressed, etc.) the bead, you may end up breaking the release and having a hot spinning bead that you didn't get to finish...very frustrating! I would highly recommend the plunge/nip method! And I agree that a 3rd hand would be so bomb-diggity for this, but I've got a secret that might help!

When I have to use the plunge/nip method, part of the problem is what to do with that rod while you're nipping, right? I mean you don't want to take a chance on a lovely, detail-filled rod hitting the deck and smashing or even breaking up into smaller pieces at the "nip" point, so....

I keep a can and a vase - 1/3rd to 1/2" filled with sand - near my work bench. I have two different sizes so I'm prepared for nipping a longer rod or a shorter one. Campbell's Soup can for short rods; a tall vase which has a "bulb" shaped bottom (adding stability) for the longer rods. This style of vase can be found at most JoAnn and Michael's stores in their floral departments; or you can by yourself a single rose at CVC, Ralph's Market or your local florist and keep the vase!

When you're ready to plunge/nip, get your base bead hot, plunge the murrini rod into the bead, then slide the free end of the rod into the can/vase and nip! The sand helps keep it from tipping or clanking too hard against the sides. Depending on the sand you use (I use the "Beach Sand" you can also buy in small quantities from JoAnn/Michael's) you may need to periodically wipe the murrini rod off to de-dust it, but this should help you a lot!

And I'd trade a boob for a third hand - or even a tail - any day!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-03-19, 9:44am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

And I'd trade a boob for a third hand - or even a tail - any day!

De

Great idea, though. Instead of flipping the rod down onto the table to do the nip, it is stabilized that way. I guess that gets rid of the need for a 3rd arm at this point.

But I still want one.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-19, 11:46am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would add to the humor and show some of my new "Totally Useless Thimbles" I have been laboring over. Birds, Bee and Kitties.

The critters are Devardi, and the thimbles are a mix of Devardi and Effetre.

I am having a time learning to make good thimbles... they are more of a challenge than I imagined but really fun!

Which do you like best? I plan to make them with bears and dogs on top too.

Old 2010-03-19, 12:17pm
I speak Murrini!

They are all really cute!

I must say, too - your goldstone (Aventurine?) stringer is really nice and sparkly and concentrated! Are you pulling this yourself or did you buy some pre-made? I'd LOVE mine to look that dense...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-03-19, 2:57pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
They are all really cute!

I must say, too - your goldstone (Aventurine?) stringer is really nice and sparkly and concentrated! Are you pulling this yourself or did you buy some pre-made? I'd LOVE mine to look that dense...

De
Thank you and yes, I wrap the Devardi Goldstone rod using a stringer of clear and then pull thin stringers of the Goldstone in the clear.

I also wrap the chunks of Goldstone and pull, but the Devardi rods are SO much easier and quicker! You can see it in better light on this bead. I find almost no difference in the chunks versus the Devardi rods for sparkle.

I can hardly WAIT for their next shipment! I feel like it's Christmas or something!

Old 2010-03-19, 5:34pm
as in the state

Devardi has a goldstone rod that is good and saturated like chunk? WOW. I missed that when I placed my order!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-19, 6:40pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi GOLDSTONE Rods

Quote:
Devardi has a goldstone rod that is good and saturated like chunk? WOW. I missed that when I placed my order!

-Amy
Yes, it's on this page under LUSTER RODS:

http://www.devardiglass.com/specialtyglass.htm

It's a solid Goldstone/Aventurine Rod in regular and dark gold. I can't wait to order more myself!
Old 2010-03-20, 2:42pm

Hello
These are my beads of glass Tan, sorry that he is no longer for sale: (
Glass "squeezes" silver, very beautiful effect it with SIS

Old 2010-03-21, 10:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud777olga View Post
Hello
GORGEOUS work! Please post more as you work!
Old 2010-03-21, 10:22am

I have a lb. of the tan. I guess I need to use it! Those are beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud777olga View Post
Hello
Old 2010-03-21, 12:58pm

Thank you very much I am very pleased! I have a lot of glass Devardi, but no time to try everything but I am going to show you

Old 2010-03-21, 1:28pm
Creatrixie

Lovely beads, 'Cloud...(hrm, now I have a craving for cookies!)

Love your suggestion for catching your murrini rod, De! Thanks!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-03-26, 1:13pm

Has anyone tried their bead core dye?
Old 2010-03-26, 7:54pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

I just saw the bead core dye when I was checking out their site again today. Looks pretty interesting. I guess if you have problems with burning your pinks as I do, the pink dye would be best for me!!

Actually, I can't wait for their new shipment to come in. Hopefully I can get my kiln paid-off soon so I can concentrate any extra funds towards a huge Devardi purchase.

Has anyone used their presses? How is their bead release? sandy

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-03-26, 8:01pm

I will definitely try the presses. They look a bit clumsy but I only use the bottom of the Zooziis presses I have.
Old 2010-03-28, 4:41pm

One of these days I'm gonna crash everyones computers with my ginormous pictures. These are a couple of beads I made this week that I wanted to show you guys. Kristina is keeping this thread going with all her hard work.....thimbles are awesome girlfriend!!! I'm going to try the button maker and will let you know how that goes

Amy, the devardi adventurine is gorgeous!! It is highly concentrated and beautiful. I used to buy mine at the rock and gem shows to get that kind of quality, and payed through the nose for it. Try to score some on your next order. You will LOVE IT !!

I just put in for an order for more glass and their NEW SILVER FRIT.....If you want to see something really cool, check it out on the website, They just posted pictures of beads they made with this frit....it's WILD. and worth the trip, to see the beads they made with this stuff!!! Oh,oh, I can hardly wait to start playing with it. Knowing Natasha, the order will go out tomorrow and I should have it in my hands by Wed....I'll try to post pics as soon as I can.

Happy torching !!! Holly
Old 2010-03-28, 5:22pm

Love the thimbles and the silvered pressed beads are lovely!. I also really like the purple and green.
Here is a pair made with frit that I made myself from Devardi glass. its transparent topaz, medium brown and tiny bit of blue.
I ended up with three different sizes of of frit. The second picture is a picture of the medium frit and the pair is made with frit that is almost powder.

Old 2010-03-29, 4:54am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Olga - Your tab beads are fabulous! I want a set!

Holly - gorgeous beads and huge! I see what you mean about using 2 Hotheads. You are amazing! Can't wait to see what you do with the silver frit!

Sonja - Your work is lovely, and very nicely done. Such neat color combinations.

Okay everyone, show us what you have been up to! We want to see your wonderful creations!
Old 2010-03-29, 9:41am

I posted this is the daily thread in the Gallery. I used the Devardi dichroic for these, I decided to stop fighting it and to work with its properties...I thought they came out interesting and organic-y looking

Old 2010-03-29, 10:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
I posted this is the daily thread in the Gallery. I used the Devardi dichroic for these, I decided to stop fighting it and to work with its properties...I thought they came out interesting and organic-y looking
The black really sets the dicho off neat! Thanks for posting the pic! More, more!
Old 2010-03-29, 12:37pm

I ordered some more of the fancies in The Fun Room.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-03-29, 12:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Whats the Fun Room?
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi