No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-29, 12:50pm

The frit etc, on the Devardi site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-03-29, 2:47pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Nell! I'm so oblivious sometimes!

These are my latest "Totally Useless Thimbles". I am having a terrible time finding a glass glue or cement that really works. I want to permanently cement a critter on top of the thimbles.

Does anyone know of a permanent glass glue?

Old 2010-03-29, 4:38pm

Hey Kristina, I've used a 2 part epoxy called loctite. On the tube it says Extra-Time epoxy and that works great !! I bought it at the local hardware store. I've used it to glue, glass to glass.........and metal to glass. Superior holding power and I've been very happy with the results...

Thanks for the compliments on the beads, love my 2 inline torch thing...I can go really biggggg on my beads with no cracking issues. You are rockin that thimble mandrel girl !!

Last edited by baby firefly; 2010-03-29 at 4:41pm. Reason: I can't spell
Old 2010-03-29, 8:29pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

OMG..... Everyone's beads....& thimbles are AWESOME. I 've been playing around with my Devardi and am having some good results with mixing Devardi with other glasses. I made a bead last night with the Metallic Black, Moretti gray and Triton, that looks kinda of like a lentil press perfume bottle that turned out pretty cool. I'll post pics tomorrow when I can get them loaded up......Anyhoo ~ good job everyone. I'm just so glad that this glass is available to us and such reasonable prices! Thanks to Natasha and Daniel.

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-03-30, 5:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for the glass glue info and the nice compliments Holly and Sandy!

I am excited to see the next shipment of Devardi arrive mid-April. The newsletter said they are getting in six TONS!

I wanted to tell you all that they have a gorgeous glass coming in - like the very expensive Rubino Oro. It is Dark Transparent Rose. It is lovely to work with too. I got it as a sample in the last batch I ordered and asked about it. I messed up the center of the bead, but you can see the color in this picture.

It's like Christmas the way they are adding so much to the site!

Keep up the splendid work everyone! Post your pics - it's a joy to follow everyone's work and development!

p.s
Nell, I went to your etsy site and I had to stop and say that your crocheted beaded necklace it SO lovely. Hope you don't mind my showing it to say so! Crocheting seed-beads in a spiral and making beautiful beads to match! WOW!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-03-30 at 5:25am.
Old 2010-03-30, 6:59am

I have a lot of fun doing that, while my beads are cooking in the kiln. Thank you very much. Babyfirefly, your beads are beautiful.
The thimbles are awesome.
I ordered a large ring mandrel from Devardi, hoping to be able to slip a large glass ring, over my crochet ropes.

And here is my newest Necklace, and Bracelet set.. All of the stringer work, is done with Devardi Silver Black, pulled into stringers.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[

Last edited by firedancer; 2010-03-30 at 8:35am.
Old 2010-03-30, 9:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gorgeous Nell (big sigh)! Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 2010-03-30, 5:10pm

Beautiful Nell !! So glad you're back torching. Kristina don't be shy and post that button you made....
Old 2010-03-30, 5:37pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Beautiful Nell !! So glad you're back torching. Kristina don't be shy and post that button you made....
Just for you Holly! It will be my humility post! It looks like I had one to many to many times! But since it's my first button attempt I will hope to improve! I didn't even clean it before I sent you this image to laugh at and now you're making me post it!

And thank you again for making me the silver stringer - in the bead on the left!

Old 2010-03-30, 5:43pm

Kristina I don't see anything to laugh about I think you did a fine job on that button! Love the thimbles too and Nell those beads are lovely. I am having a tough time with the metallic black, It turns metallic the second it hits the flame but by the time I am done shaping the bead, its just a dull black. I think I am burning it out but can't figure out how to NOT burn it out if you know what I mean.

Old 2010-03-30, 5:47pm
GlassDocNC

I think the metallic black is the bees knees. In my (albeit limited) experience, just apply and shape it without regard to luster then reduce at the end for that magical metallic sheen.
Old 2010-03-30, 7:04pm
Creatrixie

Sonja, maybe it's the flame that you're working with? Perhaps it's the wrong mix? Perhaps you can email Daniel and ask him if he has any tips...you might also try looking at the video that goes with the metallic black and see if you can tell anything about the flame there?
Just a few thoughts. Good luck

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-03-30, 9:24pm

Actually I am not back, I just had major medical things , like broken leg, and a show I had to do. I am still very
depressed with my household condition.. It has taken me longer to heal,
than young people. Yet I have tried to make use of my time, layed up, with a elevated leg. The HOUSE is a FREAk'in MESS. so
depressing.
I can hardly wait until the new shipment, for devardi. Have to have
some of that Copper reducing glass, and The Solid Adventurine Gold stone. Devardi has products that you can not find
anywhere else. And their new tools, are the cat's meowwww!!!!
What a great job there are doing
as far as giving back to the glass world, instead of taking.
There is only one vendor I know of that makes videos,
and that is CDg bead rollers. I am so thankful for all the videos,
that Devardi makes for all of us. I have learned a lot. Thank you Natasha, and Daniel, your are as good at offereing free education,
as you are standing behind your products. And I am proud,
about how you have made your(overseas) glass company change so much
according to our needs. (I just wish for smaller size rods. ) Big rods are hard to work with. at least for me.
I had to fit this all, and adjust the length of each sentence,
as the thread has been streatched. So new paragraphs, as they seem, are not true.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-03-30, 9:32pm

I hear all this talk about the Silver Black. I am going to say this in a amatuer way. When you see it start to bubble, (or Boil) go ahead, and apply the heat, and it will stop. When you are all done working with it. Make sure it is really hot, past the state, of boil or bubble, and then let it cool, and quickly pass it thru the upper part of your flame. Almost like fire polishing a bead. ( You do not even have to worry about adjusting your flame, for more Propane, than oxy.) Just fire polish it. This is one glass, that there is no middle ground. It is either worked Hot, or cold. When it is half way, it does not understand.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-03-31, 4:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
I hear all this talk about the Silver Black. I am going to say this in a amatuer way. When you see it start to bubble, (or Boil) go ahead, and apply the heat, and it will stop. When you are all done working with it. Make sure it is really hot, past the state, of boil or bubble, and then let it cool, and quickly pass it thru the upper part of your flame. Almost like fire polishing a bead. ( You do not even have to worry about adjusting your flame, for more Propane, than oxy.) Just fire polish it. This is one glass, that there is no middle ground. It is either worked Hot, or cold. When it is half way, it does not understand.

Thank you Nell. That will help me too, as I had it boil and be dull, and then wasn't sure what to do next. It silvers up so pretty at the start, so I'm glad to know more of how to handle it.

Hope you do recover quickly. Just a suggestion on recovery, we take Sonnes Cod Liver Oil daily when trying to recover or when getting sick. You get it online. It really makes a difference in our recovery time. Other brands may not have the correct A to D ratio, so we stick with ordering it online to get that brand. Our great Grandmothers had it right administering that stuff!
Old 2010-03-31, 7:51pm
Remember to keep smiling

Gorgeous work going on in here. This is the first time I can say I'm excited about the date APRIL 15th...lol Can't wait to try Davardi new colors.

Bunny made with SOP peach
Name:  0331201103.JPG
Views: 1159
Size:  42.2 KB

Bunny made from stringers I pulled. I love the color combination but Now I wished I wrote done the colors
Name:  0331201108.JPG
Views: 1147
Size:  48.0 KBName:  0331201109.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  0331201101.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  46.2 KBName:  0331201102.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  43.5 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-03-31, 8:08pm

OMG ladies......SSSHHHHHH about the up and coming shipment that's coming in May (heehee), at least until we have ordered our goodies first.

Sandy

Old 2010-03-31, 8:13pm
Remember to keep smiling

Gee!!! Thanks for info Sandy...lol

SRA#P109
Old 2010-03-31, 8:25pm

Yes Sandy, Hope maybe this time, they will not run out of our fav's right away. I hear it is suspose to be a huge order. Keeping fingers crossed, and saving my money. I did have to put in a small order last week though.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-04-01, 4:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Gorgeous work going on in here. This is the first time I can say I'm excited about the date APRIL 15th...lol Can't wait to try Davardi new colors.
SO cute Paula! And great color mixing! I want to learn that!

And you are so right - Devardi on the 15th would bring some joy to that horrible date of the year!
Old 2010-04-01, 3:27pm

Can't wait for that order to come in. The yellow transparent is to die for. I will try and post a pick later.
Thanks for explaining that Nell I think I just didn't do the wafting bit. I am on a hot head til my cricket comes in so no adjusting the flame for me. Of course I can always make it MORE of a reducing flame lol, just not less.
The critters are awesome and I love the combo on the bunny!
Nell can you tell me how you end those crocheted beaded necklaces so the end threads don't show? I know I asked you this elsewhere (I think lol) but I can't find it. I worry about the threads rubbing on the metal.

Old 2010-04-02, 4:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I would dearly love to know the crochet pattern too! Is there an online link or a book?

These are my latest "Totally Useless Thimbles"... they are a mix of Devardi and Effetre. A few have new critters on top due to the other glue not holding. The Critters and floral detail are mostly Devardi. The gorgeous Devardi Cherry glass on the left Thimble isn't cracked, it was a thinner layer I guess, and the sun reflected it.

My board sloped at both ends so they kinda droop on both side! Guess I need to work on that photography a bit more!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-04-02 at 5:13pm.
Old 2010-04-02, 11:44pm

Natasha said she ordered about 1100 #'s of pink..... YIPPEE.

I've made a few beads and will post pics as soon as I can get good pics of my beads. I made this ginormous hollow bead last night by making a cylinder bead out of various Devardi glasses and made the hollow encasing out of Lauscha because I haven't been able to get my hands on Devardi clear yet and it came out pretty cool for a newbie! What I really like about this glass is:
1) the price for the quality ya get
2) its a bit stiffer than the rest of the 104coe lines and easier to work with on sculptural beads and hollows.
3) the yellow stays yellow and not yellow with black streaks or do black dots
4) the Dicro is inexpensive as well and is fairly easy to work with, as far as I'm concerned. My first bead came out pretty good after I read the working tips on using Devardi dicro.
5) Well...... the colors are just plain awesome!

I work on a Hot Head w/bulk propane and in most cases, if I start the rod at the tip of the flame and slowly work my way in, I have no shocky issues.

Sandy :0)

Sandy

Old 2010-04-03, 7:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I want to sing their praises too for a minute too if I may.

I got the rod warmer they recommend and I have no problems EVER with shock or breaking rods! It's at this link:
http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm

I made this Teeny Bear color chart originally to test the colors after pulling a lot of thick stringers to work with. That's when I got excited and knew this glass was awesome for sculptural work. There are MANY more colors on the site though! I want them all!

I can tell some colors have been improved, like the pinks and roses. They are wonderful to work with, just like morretti but stiffer so they hold detail wonderfully in the flame.

It IS hard to wait for the shipments though, since they keep selling out! I hope their coming order (6 TONS) holds them for a while! It's so awesome to see them blossom as a teeny company.

I'm really thankful for their great prices and sweet Customer Service. Natasha couldn't be nicer when you email or need something. Neat people and great colors and tools at low prices, they SO deserve to make it!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-04-03 at 12:48pm.
Old 2010-04-03, 12:29pm

Toosha.... I concur, Ms. Folly!!

Sandy

Old 2010-04-04, 8:31pm

Sorry for the dark pictures the beads on top are a combo of dk rose, pink,mango, and lime.

Bottom picture is the first bead I've made with the new silver frit!! The center is op lilac but it turned kind of peachy and I got green dots around the little pieces of silver frit. Hope when you guys start working with it you'll post pictures, this is some fun stuff.....

Nell, you said it like it is !!! I wrote Natasha and Daniel and told them pretty much the same exact things you said in your post ! I thank them mightily for the work they've put into making this a great glass company. !!! What I love best...the AWESOME COLORS, !!!
Old 2010-04-05, 4:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Wow Holly, you are making some pretty beads up! Really neat color combos. It's so neat to see everyone's work!
Old 2010-04-05, 8:00pm

Holly..... love your beads. Nice work everyone!

9 days and counting but who's count? EVERY DEVARDI LOVER OUT THEREHEEHEE!!

Sandy

Old 2010-04-06, 5:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I sure am counting!

Here's my latest thimble to take my mind off it! Anyone else have pics to post as we're counting down the days?

Anyone have any plans for a project after they get their glass?

Old 2010-04-06, 6:03am
Remember to keep smiling

Date is marked in red on my calendar....lol

I posted these on the newbie section a few days ago sorry for the repeat for those that have seen them...These are all Devardi glass. The body color I used on the little dog was a freebie Natasha sent me with my last order, don't know the color but would like to see if anyone here does. I really like it it reminded me of their SOP.

Name:  40320110gat 3.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  40320110gat 2.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  0331201104.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  47.5 KB

SRA#P109
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi