Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-05-03, 6:46am
Pyromaniac

sorry to confuse, that's my sense of humor for ya though

"Water pipe" is a general term encompassing many styles of pipes - including 'tubes', 'bubblers', basically any non-dry piece. The reason you can't say "b*ng" is that once you say that word it magically becomes paraphernalia and they can violate all of your constitutionally-guaranteed rights because you worship heathen idols.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-03, 9:43am
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
Thank you. How do you do a vac stack? Mainly how do you make the vaccum?
Okay so next up is a water pipe or a hookah either word works im just happy im moving forward not backwards lol
If you watch the video below you will see a hose hooked to the blow tube. Instead of having a mouth piece on the end of the hose so that you can blow, it is hooked to a vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzi5orjiwI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hangs Well; 2012-05-03 at 1:10pm.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:21am
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Does any kind of vaccum work?
Old 2012-05-03, 12:39pm
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Yes, but I wouldn't want to use the family Hoover. Any shop vac wouild do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-03, 1:32pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangs Well View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't want to use the family Hoover. Any shop vac wouild do the trick.
I thought that's what it was for? Dammit. Don't tell Jeff or he'll make me use to clean up all the dog hair!

Old 2012-05-03, 1:39pm
Progression in progress

Hmmm ill stick to what i know best for now
Old 2012-05-05, 6:52am
Progression in progress

Lets talk about welds. I know their some of the hardest things to get right. They require alot of time and patience to do right. Also briging is just as important it makes your life alot easier in the end. But this is all coming from a noob what do the pros think about these two highly important skills needed for complex hollow and solid work?
Old 2012-05-05, 4:43pm

I get both sides honey consistency and connect. When it comes to cleaning up I was taught to do no more than two sides at once. I do the bottom (puff reduce until smooth), then either the left or right. I garage at this point, making sure it's not hot enough to sag. 5-10 min later I do the other side and top. Having a swivel helps me. I can puff when I need to, not when it's ready plus the time it takes me to get the blow pole to my mouth. Don't move to the next side until you are happy with the first.

If I knew anything at all about bridging I would add that here
Old 2012-05-05, 10:10pm
is

Quote:
The answers you heard already, are misleading. "Any" shop vac wont work. In fact, the smaller, lesser powerful shop vacs are what you *want* to use. I particularly like the Home Depot Bucket Head shop vac that is $19 and goes on top of one of their 5 gallon orange buckets.

With the vac stack, consider how much air you are sucking out. Less than one liter of air by volume. Do you need a ton of vacuum to suck that out? Hell no!

You want to insert your blowhose into the top of the shop vacs suction, but dont close it up or anything, just let it rest in it. That will pull a minimal amount of suction and give you the most controllable results.

I'll make a video on how to do a vac stack on Monday and post it up here as well as the walkthroughs for all the prep work as well as the flame work and fishing the pull properly and what tools to use.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:41pm
Progression in progress

Wow that is really awesome of you thank you for do this. For the past two fays ive been doing alot of clear fumed peices. I have to say they are by far one of the hardest things to do
Old 2012-05-06, 10:35am
the german guy

hey yeah when i was young 16 to 18 years i did a lot of that, but not anymore, i used to skateboard a lot then o broke my feet multiple times and just worked something for 12 years, now i will be soon a scientific glassblower/ apparatusmaker however it is called

kind regards
Old 2012-05-06, 12:50pm

One of the shops I sell to gets water pipes from a scientific blower. This man makes the cleanest welds I've ever seen. I may get a chance to work with him soon. He's been on the torch for around 20 years, and can freehand a three foot piece. I'm dying to see him work.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:13am

there is a scientific glass place over in richmond that also makes big water pipes on glass lathes, it is really cool to watch

#C-151
Old 2012-05-07, 12:15am

Recent post from Paul Stankard

Paul Stankard

Saturday.

The Real Crime

Over the last 50 years I’ve witnessed the Lampworking community grow beyond the service of science to become the most popular hot glass working process and challenging thousands of creative people around the world. One interesting fact is this economically accessible craft is attracting large numbers of hip, counter-culture non-conformists who are experiencing creativity in glass producing glass pipes. This lampworked glass paraphernalia is made in garages, basements, small sheds and elaborately equipped studio’s across the country and spreading throughout the free world.
Nourished primarily by an outsider pop-subculture this billion dollar activity is producing products that are made, displayed, bought, and sold under the legal radar screen available to upwards of 50 million smokers. Conservative estimates suggest as many as 15 thousand people are lampworking paraphernalia for smoking marijuana. The artists within the glass pipe making community are expanding the flameworking parameters, and as a group are difficult to categorize beyond outsider art steeped in a pop culture with a lively subculture. These artist’s in the upper echelon of what I’ve heard referred to as, the Boro Functional Art Community, evidence mastery of skills responsible for creating ambitious glass water pipes as art. These highly decorated works have set new standards for excellence within the flameworking community. I’m amazed at the level of complexity and attractiveness achieved by these mostly publicity shy young people. When I think back to industry and what I was fabricating at the torch for research scientists, it’s amazing how extraordinary the functional glass pipes are compared to scientific glass apparatus. I would think the best of these flameworked sculptures are being displayed in collections, while the more utilitarian production glass pieces are being used at home. What makes this segment of glass art community distorted is that it’s illegal to produce, distribute, and use drug paraphernalia. I don’t believe it’s a crime to smoke pot, but I do believe it’s a crime to allow these gifted men and women working in hot glass to be shunned from the glass art community.

#C-151
Old 2012-05-07, 6:25am

Thanks Morgan, and very well said Paul.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-05-07, 12:42pm
Progression in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngljnke View Post
One of the shops I sell to gets water pipes from a scientific blower. This man makes the cleanest welds I've ever seen. I may get a chance to work with him soon. He's been on the torch for around 20 years, and can freehand a three foot piece. I'm dying to see him work.
If you can take some of pictures of him working welds and shaping that would be awesome
Old 2012-05-09, 8:57am
Progression in progress

Bub that i made lastnight
Name:  2012-05-09_10-53-32_86-1.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  2012-05-09_10-53-45_911-1.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  44.2 KB
Old 2012-05-09, 8:59am

sweet !
Old 2012-05-09, 12:20pm

A little planning goes a long way James. Plan your sections so your welds are made on the same color. White on white or blue on blue in your hammer. Takes more time for the planning, but your welds will flow better. Your welds are looking better. Look at some pictures of similar work at glasspipes or talkglass for shaping ideas. Puff the carriage out a bit more on the bottom, then gently pull it back while flattening it out. You will wind up with the nice dumpy bottom you see. Play with it.

I'm still working getting in the scientific studio. I'll be amazed if he's cool with me taking pictures. I'll ask though.

The people I'm learning from now don't mind me recording the tutorials, but if I distributed it in any way I would get my ass beat and cut off from any more instruction.
Old 2012-05-09, 12:58pm
Progression in progress

That would be pretty awesome but i pulled off the second tube wrong but i just went with it cause i wasnt going to try and fix it and screw it up by accident lol
Old 2012-05-10, 5:57pm

Great job James kinda makes me wish I smoked up still.

Old 2012-05-10, 6:24pm
"Sinners have soul too"

My very first attempt... I got a private lesson from a friend yesterday...

Oops... that's a shell in there too... sorry for the blurry pic.

Old 2012-05-10, 9:56pm

Good job Donna. Way better than my my first attempts. In Texas any pipe that is clear only ist automatically considered a crack pipe (regardless of of shape) by legal definition. So I've been warned. You may want to check for any special stipulations in your state. Throw some fuming of a few colored dots if you need too. When I was in Austin I saw some pieces that had surface worked flowers on them. Seemed easy enough if you happen to already have that skill, and it looked sweet.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks!

This was just practice. But thanks for the warning. I think I can manage some dots or flowers...

Old 2012-05-11, 4:10am
Pyromaniac

If you're comfortable with condensing the glass, even a little frit inside should do the trick. Use butterscotch, blue moon or other fumey color and it self-fumes the piece as a bonus. Just condense and blow back out a couple times. I'm horrible at it but... I'm comfortable screwing up so... it's all good

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-11, 7:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
My very first attempt... I got a private lesson from a friend yesterday...

Oops... that's a shell in there too... sorry for the blurry pic.
next time make the shell the bowl and there is your color

#C-151
Old 2012-05-11, 8:39am
"Sinners have soul too"

Haha... a shell spoon... I think I can do the frit thing. Not sure what colors I have but we'll see.

Old 2012-05-11, 4:39pm
Progression in progress

So i have hit writers block in the glass world im thinking going back to basics is a good idea anyone else have any ideas for me?
Old 2012-05-12, 6:38am

Sidecar bubbler would be a challenge, but going back to basics is good too.

Stephen
Old 2012-05-12, 4:18pm
Progression in progress

A head shop bought some of my stuff and are going to make a order tomorrow

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room