Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-03, 8:01pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default So, if you can use 96 coe frit on 104 coe glass ...

Does the same hold true for using 104 coe glass on 96 coe beads?

I have a lot of stringer pulled and they've been getting mixed up, especially because I have some colors like raspberry opal in both coes.

So, would 104 scrolls or dots be OK on say, Uroboros or Reichenbach? Melted in and/or left raised?

Thanks for any info!

Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-03, 8:03pm
Fancy Mammal

I've heard that it's not a good idea, that coe needs to go down as you move out . I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure that the person who told me really knew their glass.
Old 2009-01-03, 8:15pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I have done it accidently as well and ALL of the beads cracked within a month. That is the problem sometimes they don't leave "large" evidences but if there are enough little micro ones the littlest stress will cause them to break that is because of the way the glass expanded and contracted. Hope this helps. BTW I put all my stringers that are 96 to my right and the 104 to my left but whatever works! Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-04, 1:09am

My understanding is that the furnace glass frits have a high lead content which somehow makes them more forgiving regarding compatiblity. (Viscosity changes perhaps?)

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2009-01-04, 1:14am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

We've had a few bitch-slapping fests on LE between us about mixing
104 and 96. Some people say it's absolutely safe, some say it's
questionable, and others say you shouldn't mix COEs.

I tend to side with the people who say not to mix them. While I
believe the people that say they do it and don't usually have problems
I tend to err on the more paranoid side. I wouldn't want to do anything
on purpose that could even MAYBE cause my beads to be less than
perfect.

There's enough beautiful colors available in 96 COE that
I can go to town and make great beads that I pretty much never have
to worry about compatibility issues cropping up.

For me, the proof is in the pudding. When I stopped mixing, the cracks went
away. I haven't had any issues with bead cracking in quite a while now.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-01-04, 7:43am
burnin' glass just becuz

i use 96 frits and stringers a lot on 104 with no issues - i just make sure to give the bead a good thorough warming right to the core before popping into the kiln.

104 on 96 has never worked for me though - i immediately had incompatibility cracks.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-01-04, 8:13am
Life is change. Love it

No, you can't use 104 on 96 in my experience. Not even a little bit!

Old 2009-01-04, 8:16am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to toss my mixed up stringers and keep them apart in the future. Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-04, 10:00am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm going to toss my mixed up stringers and keep them apart in the future. Liz
really? i'd keep them and use them on a 104 only base

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-01-05, 3:21am

I think the key here is the lead. 96 coe frits are useable with 104 because of the lead although I think that not all the colours (mainly reds, oranges) have lead which is why sometimes there are compatability problems. Uroboros 96 coe is not a furnace glass therefore 104 would not work at all with it. That's my understanding of it anyway

Old 2009-01-05, 8:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_D View Post
I think the key here is the lead. 96 coe frits are useable with 104 because of the lead although I think that not all the colours (mainly reds, oranges) have lead which is why sometimes there are compatability problems. Uroboros 96 coe is not a furnace glass therefore 104 would not work at all with it. That's my understanding of it anyway
A minor correction, Uroboros is, in fact, furnace glass.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2009-01-05, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieson View Post
A minor correction, Uroboros is, in fact, furnace glass.
Is it? Ah well I stand corrected

Old 2009-01-05, 10:46am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

My experience, as with others, is that using a 104 stringer on 96 causes cracking. The only one I've had luck with is silvered ivory.

Old 2009-01-06, 12:27am
sorcerer

There seems to be a misunderstanding here, the only coe 96 furnace glass is Gaffer the others are closer to 90, Kugler for example claims 89-93 coe. which makes it fit with Bullseye perfectly but not with 104.
B
Old 2009-01-06, 6:38am
Life is change. Love it

Reichenbach is 96

Old 2009-01-06, 7:27am
Lampworkaholic!

I was wondering - if you can't go down in CoE, how does 96 frit work on BE. Now I think I understand.

Old 2009-01-06, 9:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
There seems to be a misunderstanding here, the only coe 96 furnace glass is Gaffer the others are closer to 90, Kugler for example claims 89-93 coe. which makes it fit with Bullseye perfectly but not with 104.
B
Don't forget System96, also furnace glass.

Old 2009-01-06, 1:19pm
sorcerer

I think "system 96" is a trade name belonging to Spectrum. this link might help you sort some of the expansions out,
cheers, Bernard
http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/coefficient_table.aspx
Old 2009-01-06, 2:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
I think "system 96" is a trade name belonging to Spectrum. this link might help you sort some of the expansions out,
cheers, Bernard
http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/coefficient_table.aspx
True, but the point was that Gaffer isn't the only 96 furnace glass, Uroboros/Spectrum System96 is furnace glass as well.

Old 2009-01-06, 8:11pm
one day at a time

I use 104 base, then raku, and then small amounts of 104 stringer on top for some of my beads for a loooong time now, and no cracking. But that's just with raku, so maybe raku is forgiving. I haven't tried this with any others, and I really wouldn't want to.