No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-12, 2:13pm
Resident Luny

Default bead reamer diamond bits?

I have been using the same bead reamer bit a nice guy made me in Australia 4 years ago until today when it split in half while in use (nice bloody finger, great.)

So I need another. I have none at all. I loved this one, the diamond coating was fabulous. Short ones, ball ones, etc, could be useful too, I suppose, but mostly I need a long one. These would fit in my Dremel. What do you love?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2009-10-12, 10:49pm

I've gotten a couple diamond burs that I use in my Dremel from here: http://www.lascodiamond.com/Dental/fgdiamonds.htm. They're fabulous and have a great selection. I've been using the same bur for 4 years, and it's just as good as the day I got it.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-10-13, 7:49am

Renee,
Which bur to you use? I've been looking for one too.

Old 2009-10-13, 8:41am
Does my glass look 2 big?

I started off with these and they were very good and cheap!
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/bead-reamer

Then I switched to Dave's and it was wonderful. Mostly because they last a lot longer than the cheaper ones. Make sure you check out the video demo.
But I really think they work the same:

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe...ning-Tools.htm

Old 2009-10-13, 9:19am
Creative Spirit

try ebay, there are alot of them there

Peace Wendy
Old 2009-10-13, 9:42am
Peerless Thread Killer

Rio Grande has them in a 3pack, they last a pretty long time, too.

Old 2009-10-13, 11:36am

Dave's bead reamer by far!! I LOVE it! It saves so much time and works a bit differently than most diamond reamers.
Old 2009-10-13, 2:05pm
Resident Luny

What is different about Dave's?

I don't doubt it is fabulous, but holes always look good while wet. How does it work differently? Hard to see in the video, but I am intrigued.

Thanks Renee, that's the kind of experience I had, and want again!

Old 2009-10-14, 8:14am
Normal is Boring!!

Dave's are great- long shaft with no taper- cleans bead very easy- My only complain is the dimond coating wears off quickly- Depending on the bead release you use they are throw away bit's and expensive to always replace. But they work like a charm and save time!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-10-14, 8:44am
Against the Grain

I have the BeaDreamer bits in 3 sizes. They do a great job and save me a lot of time. The bits I used to use before were very coarse and tapered, which scratched up the glass inside the bead and left tiny chips around the edges of the beadholes. Also it was taking me way too much time to clean my beads, time I could've been spending making more beads. I absolutely love the BeaDreamer bits because they quickly remove the bead release and leave a nice smooth finish. I'm a stickler for quality and I know my beads won't get damaged. Since switching to these bits, cleaning my beads is no longer the task I used to dread.

Last edited by Silver Moon Lampwork; 2009-10-22 at 6:54pm.
Old 2009-10-14, 9:25am
Facebook addict

I also have used Dave's reamers and love them. But, like others have said, they are pricey and wear down quick.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2009-10-14, 9:35am
Resident Luny

Hm. I don't they are worth it for me, then, if they wear down so quick. That amount of money is fine for something that lasts....but not for something that doesn't, when I had one last 4 years, albeit tapered. I will bookmark it though, maybe he will improve his design to last longer!

Old 2009-10-14, 11:17am
da General

It depends on the size of your beads and the bead release you use. I was dismayed at how fast mine wore down and was told by Dave that the 3000 beads claim was only for small beads (think spacers) and bead release such as Sludge and not Foster Fire.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-10-14, 11:32am
BeadsonCypress

I use Widget Supply also....excellent product at an excellent price!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-10-15, 9:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsGoneWild View Post
Renee,
Which bur to you use? I've been looking for one too.

If you want a bur that's going to last, buy one that's sintered. The diamonds aren't just stuck to the surface where they're going to wear out of fall off. They're embedded throughout the head of the bur. It may cost a little more, but you won't be replacing it any time soon.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-10-16, 5:48am

Thanks Renee,
Just the info I was looking for.

Old 2009-10-16, 6:13am

The long bit in this set is what I use in my dremel for long beads. http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...ers/SDE3-83555 . If you can use a 1/8" size bit, widget supply has a 10-pack of diamond-tipped bits that are inexpensive enough to toss when they wear out, something like .30 each.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-10-16, 9:50am

I make tons of long skinny beads, and this is what I use to clean them out. They're cheap and long lasting, I only wish the diamond coating went all the way down the shaft.

http://www.lopacki.com/drills/

Scroll down for the long - 2.5, 3" bits

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2009-10-17, 7:39am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
It depends on the size of your beads and the bead release you use. I was dismayed at how fast mine wore down and was told by Dave that the 3000 beads claim was only for small beads (think spacers) and bead release such as Sludge and not Foster Fire.
I too was disappointed at how fast mine wore down. Didn't take too long at all. I wish I'd known about "the small print".

Jack

Old 2009-10-17, 3:03pm
Ad astra per aspera

Wow! I've had my BeaDreamer for 2 years and it's still great. Are you guys keeping it in water when you use it? I use a cordless Dremel and work in a kids sand bucket.

Old 2009-10-17, 3:46pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I'm using a cordless Dremel too and always keep the BeadReamer in the water when I'm using it.

Jack

Old 2009-10-17, 4:45pm
Against the Grain

Yes, I use a cordless Dremel too and always clean the beads under water.

Old 2009-10-19, 1:50pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I talked with Dave on the phone the other day, and I must tell you, he's one of the nicest gentleman I've ever had the pleasure of talking to. He recommends using Sludge Plus as it has no abrasives in it like the other releases do. When it is thinned to the recommended consistency, it should work flawlessly. That's was my problem... NOT the BeadReamer. I didn't want everyone to think that his product is not a good one. It is BY FAR the best tool to use for cleaning out your beads! I am VERY glad that I purchased the BeadReamer. It was basically "operator error"... my fault. I will continue to use this great tool as it has saved me countless hours of bead cleaning. Check out the endorsement from Kim Neely on Dave's website if you need further proof: http://www.artintheround.com/

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2009-10-19 at 1:59pm. Reason: mispelling
Old 2009-10-19, 2:00pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

By the way, I'm using the 3/32".

Jack

Old 2009-10-19, 5:03pm
Enabler

I use both the 1/16 and the 3/32, but my 1/16 by far gets the most use. We use NOTHING but Fusion bead release, and have NEVER had a problem with the coating wearing off our reamers quickly! The whole secret to extending the life of our reamers has been in not OVER working the tool! Just 2-3 in and out passes through the hole works like a charm. If you're grinding the reamer in circles around the hole, its naturally going to cause more wear and tear, but if you follow the instructions correctly you can clean out a TON of beads with one tool. And while the cost may sound "pricey", the amount of time it saves me versus a regular diamond bit more than makes up for it. Someone who makes focals only might not realize that as much, but most of my production is in sets of beads, and if I can save 10 minutes a day in cleaning time, that's an extra hour I can spend at my torch each week.

But probably the best thing about Dave's reamers for me is the look I get in transparent glass. There's none of that frosted, "etched" look in the holes. I also love that the tips of the reamers aren't coated because I'm bad about missing the hole, and his tips don't leave scratch marks on my beads if I bump around the hole with them.

My reamers have been MORE than worth the investment for me, and it would be a sad day indeed if I ever had to go back to using a plain old diamond bit.

Old 2009-10-20, 7:39am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

What she said!

Jack

Old 2009-10-20, 9:29am
da General

My issue with Dave was the fact that I purchased the product after reading his claim that "Yup, they are expensive. Yup, they are worth it. My cost is way high too, they are not made in China, but 100% American made, and, yes, the diamond is way longer than most. Look for 3000+ beads per tool, perfectly done, in seconds."

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=26

And then to find out when they wore out quickly (1000 beads for the 3/32" one using Foster Fire with 2"+ beads and 2000 beads for the 5/64" one using Sludge with small beads) and found out that there was the "fine print" to his claim.

"From: Dave <artintheround@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: beadreamers

...Typical usage with Sludge plus is anywhere from 2000 to 3000 beads. I
usually _estimate_ 2500 ->average size beads<- if folks want numbers. So
your sister's usage is in the normal range. Actual numbers vary,
depending on RPM, adequacy of lubrication, thickness of release,
technique, length of beads, among other factors.

As for yours, you actually got excellent results, considering you are
using FF S&T, (it is more abrasive, and also harder,) and 2 inch beads.
When I speak of "average size beads" I mean far smaller than 2 inches.
That of course means that if your bead is say 3 to 4 times the length of
an average bead, you are working the tool 3 to 4 times harder per bead.
It really comes down to how many inches of beads in total you can expect
to clean. So, your BeadDreamer "mileage" is also normal, excellent, in
fact."

ETA: You may love the products but please give those of us who find that the reality of using the product not living up to what it was advertised to do a chance to discuss it as well. It has nothing to do with using it incorrectly or breach of trust. This forum is a place where we should be allowed to voice our opinions, learn from each other's experience and make our own decision without be reprimanded.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-10-20 at 9:38am. Reason: ETA
Old 2009-10-20, 12:36pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I believe it does have a lot to do with how you use it. Of course, that's just MY opinion.

Jack

Old 2009-10-20, 12:43pm
da General

If you are going to change bead release just so you can lengthen the life of the beadreamer, that's your prerogative, Jack. My 2.5"+ beads don't come off easily on Sludge, Sludge Plus, Kragg Mudd, Fusion etc. . . . thus I use Foster Fire, sometimes with a touch of Fusion mixed in.

And you are entitled to your opinion as we are entitled to ours.

Having said that, even Dave admits that longer beads and Foster Fire bead release shorten the life of the beadreamers so those of us have that issue were NOT using the product incorrectly.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-10-20 at 12:47pm.
Old 2009-10-20, 12:58pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I never said you were using it incorrectly Haley. It just makes sense to use the best bead release for that particular tool if it lengthens the life of the tool and saves you an enormous amount of time in the long run. That's all I was saying. Nothing personal towards you at all.

Jack