Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-18, 7:04am
Loving learning

Default Silver glass/varying light/what to aim for?

OK, if I make a bead & look at it & think I have what I want, it actually depends on what the lighting is. I'm assuming that is for everyone?

Yesterday I made a Striking Color bead, black core, silver foil, striking color. I'm trying to decide if I need to make beads for dim or bright light. What do you do, and how do you photograph them? Or do you have an alternative that is better?

This is lying on the table this morning, and then outside in the sun.

Old 2014-05-18, 7:06am
Lifelong Student

Oh wow....I see you dilemma. The colors are beautiful in the light.
Old 2014-05-18, 7:07am
Loving learning

I don't know if I should aim for lighter & have them kind of washed out in the sun, or like this so they pop more in the sunlight, arrgghh!
Old 2014-05-18, 7:20am
Lifelong Student

Do you sell them all online or in person? I would think if you sell in person make them pop in sunlight.
Old 2014-05-18, 7:23am
Loving learning

I've never sold any beads yet Mina.
Old 2014-05-18, 7:25am
Slogan Challenged...

Well, the indoor shot is not showing much light was used at all. so that might not be the best approximation. I guess I would aim for medium, or "everyday" kind of lighting, like in a kitchen more than a bathroom and try to keep it consistent.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-18, 7:36am
Lifelong Student

I actually would take the pictures in whatever conditions better suit the bead so that it is showcased.
I haven't sold any yet either but people keep asking to buy some. I don't feel right selling them something I feel is substandard...for now....but I am improving, so very soon I will be selling.
Old 2014-05-18, 7:37am
Loving learning

The camera keeps picking up more color than my eye sees, don't know if it's my cataract (so just me) or the glass properties.

This is on the kitchen windowsill (south light) and the back porch (north light). So you would not worry about the color & how it will look in different light situations?

Old 2014-05-18, 7:41am
Lifelong Student

No I would not...I would showcase the bead.
Old 2014-05-18, 12:16pm
Phill

Aye and remember that the human eye and brain will adjust color ratios and contrast and shading and such automatically where as a camera will have a set way of doing things and that won't change much.

Two things:
1) If you have cataracts then get them taken care of before you worry too awful much about how your beads are lighted and photographed.

2) If you can change how your beads look due the various lighting conditions as you make them you have talents that I have not even dreamed of.

Oh and C) The lighting is always changing. Chasing a set coloration for specific light configurations is not too far off from chasing rainbows.

ETA Very Nice Work btw.
Old 2014-05-18, 12:44pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I'm interested to see what people write. I have been very disappointed in the past when I've bought a bead online and the colours don't look like the bead in the picture, the colours don't pop as per the picture etc. I kinda feel let down when that happens!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2014-05-18, 12:57pm
Artistically Absorbed

This helped me immensely, I got daylight bulbs and use Lightroom to edit. Then if it is a color that just doesn't seem like it does in my hand I adjust it to look like the color in my hand and compare. I have had quite a few compliments about the color match to the photo when my customers get the beads. My pictures aren't the best in the world (detail) because I don't have the right camera, but they are fairly good and the customers love them more when they arrive.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-05-18, 1:26pm
Smile, it's contagious!

This is why a lot of people state in their listings that a bead photo is taken in studio lighting or outdoor lighting or how ever it was taken... and also state that everyone's computer monitor is calibrated differently so colors might not be the same in real life.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2014-05-18, 1:26pm
Loving learning

Thank you everyone, very helpful.

Phil, I'm still learning to work with this glass, so I'm not sure what it is capable of in the right hands, didn't know if I could work toward a certain goal The silver glass just really shines with bright light, but that bead the one whole end looks pretty dark if it isn't getting good lighting.
Oh, and they keep telling me cataracts aren't ready to do surgery, but I'm kind of looking forward to that day in case I'm one of the cases where it improves my eyesight!
Old 2014-05-18, 4:34pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I use a photo tent with 2 daylight photography bulbs... If I photograph outside I do it in full sun.

Old 2014-05-18, 6:20pm
Loving learning

OK, I may have to invest in/make a photography tent if I am going to use all the silver glass I bought that is gathering dust because I was afraid to "waste it" but have decided to use now. Reckless I tell you, reckless. Melting glass I bought to melt?
Old 2014-05-18, 6:43pm
Lifelong Student

Eileen, check out this utube about making a collapsible white box. I made one and love it. https://m.youtube.com/user/AlbedoSurge

You have to scroll down a little but just look for the title.
Old 2014-05-18, 6:52pm

I photograph in a room with no windows and no other light source but a single 13 watt light that is about 18 inches from the beads. The light can move as needed to minimize hot spots on the beads. Use manual white balance and a tripod. I mostly keep the camera aperture at f8 and shutter speed of 4. Results are pretty consistent.

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-05-18, 7:37pm
Loving learning

So it sounds like everyone lights to bead to show the color at its best, I'll stop worrying, thanks!

Also, thanks for the photography tips!
Old 2014-05-19, 12:11am
Slogan Challenged...

I think everyone does, to some extent. I have seen a lot of listings where there is at least one "outdoor" or natural light shot as well. This way, the buyers know what to expect when they receive them. If you're not selling, I don't see how it matters.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-19, 6:07am
Loving learning

I'm toying with the idea. I got a separate bank account to set up Paypal last week.
Old 2014-05-19, 7:36am
Slogan Challenged...

Good, Eileen!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-19, 7:38am
Loving learning

I had a couple of people at my Mom's birthday party ask if I sold when they saw my pendant. That might push me into at least giving it a shot, I'm teetering!
Old 2014-05-28, 10:55am

[quote=Mina;4592973]Eileen, check out this utube about making a collapsible white box. I made one and love it. https://m.youtube.com/user/AlbedoSurge

You have to scroll down a little but just look for the title.[/QUOT

You are a wealth of information, especially in such a short time of beading. Thanks for link. Here is a direct link to video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10d...Y5vrzbMthBd4dC

_

Last edited by beachbeads; 2014-05-28 at 11:01am.
Old 2014-05-29, 4:03am

Being a beginner or maybe an intermediate, I for one just saying your work sure is ready for selling. And I would buy a bead I know I could never make because my hands shake so limited to a certain style. So when I see stacked dots or stringer work that is what I buy. Happy to hear you set up a sight to sell. Also on FB there is a sight hum I think called lampwork beads for sale" that you might try, I have seen very well done work to beginners, usually an auction sell situation. hope this helps some, maria
Old 2014-05-29, 6:13am
Loving learning

Thank you so much!