Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-06-13, 1:55pm
Annette

Question Funnel ventilation setup?

Sorry I had posted this in the studio forum.... and got a lot of help there from PJH (thank you!) to understand that the size of the fan depends on the size of the hood.

I have a bobcat waiting to be used but need some help with ventilation.

I am planning to have my torch set up on a steel table infront of a door with a funnel on the table venting through the door. Table is 24 inches deep and will be placed up against the door depending on how close the torch can be to the hood. Ventilation will be straight through the door with no bends. 3-4 feet at the most depending on how close to the torch the funnel can be.

I have seen a photo of a setup with a 24 " funnel with an inline fan pulling fumes out but I cant seem to find the funnel anywhere...

If anyone has this setup and it works great...I would love to know where you got all the parts from

Some people seem to like this system but I have seen others saying it does not capture all the fumes. since it is not above the torch.
Old 2012-06-13, 8:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Go to a HVAC /Sheet Metal shop and have it fabricated to your specifications...

Use the old fashioned Yellow Pages to find a sheet metal/ HVAC shop near you....

I a curious though as you stated "in front of a door".... What are you going to do with door?... Have it open or cut a hole in it or???

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-06-13 at 8:29pm.
Old 2012-06-14, 3:13am
Annette

Hi Dale

Thanks for the info! Talked to a welder at a local fireplace company last night looks like they can make me a hood similar to a photo I saw on a post here.

If this makes any sense.....The setup will be in my garage and I have a fake door inside the side entrance door to my garage that fits perfectly into the doorframe when closed. The torch will be on a bench infront of the door which will have a hole in it. The real door opens to the outside when I work and closes when done..

I used to have my fusing studio in the garage before I moved it to my now workshop/gallery. Used the same door setup for my portable ac in the summer to pull air in as there were no windows to put a small ac unit into.

Fresh air will come in from under the garage door at the front of the garage about 20 feet away( and around the corner)

Think it will work?
Old 2012-06-14, 6:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

Just remember to open outside door!.... OK that settles question about random air flows and possibility of drawing the "bad stuff" in before nature has a chance to dilute and distributed the molecules in a safe way...

As for the funnel system, there seems to be a school of "put it to together and its works".... Does not seem to be any real research about airflow and placements of funnel.... Keep in mind size of funnel and placement will determine how well it captures, also diameter if ducting and CFM of fan... Form the untested standpoint and lack if proven technical data I recommended at least 500 CFM for this type of system... Do extensive smoke test(s) before spending long hours behind torch with this system... Not saying anything bad about concept (actually considering one for my studio overhaul) just saying be sure its working ...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-06-14, 9:16am
Curmudgeon Engineering

What Dale says but adding that a funnel, IMHO, is better than just a fan in a window or in a hole in the wall in front of you as I see many studios use. These people claim they work just fine.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
What Dale says but adding that a funnel, IMHO, is better than just a fan in a window or in a hole in the wall in front of you as I see many studios use. These people claim they work just fine.
I have been using a system with a 900 cfm fan pulling air through an 18" funnel for more than a year now. It is quite effective based on my experience and smoke tests I have done. It should be noted though that my funnel is relatively close to my torch and I think that is key to making this system work well.
Old 2012-06-14, 6:23pm
Annette

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your help.

Larry how close is your torch to the funnel? Is it above torch, lined up with torch or just slightly above? When I have figured that out I think I will be able to get it going. Would you mind sending a picture?

Where did you get the funnel? I have found some water collector ones but not sure about the fit

Thanks again
Old 2012-06-15, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapferaa View Post
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your help.

Larry how close is your torch to the funnel? Is it above torch, lined up with torch or just slightly above? When I have figured that out I think I will be able to get it going. Would you mind sending a picture?

Where did you get the funnel? I have found some water collector ones but not sure about the fit

Thanks again
I dont have pictures but I bought it as a package from these guys....

Ventafume.com
Old 2012-06-19, 4:10pm

It is called make up air.
Yes I need a ventilation system before any thing else can be done to the studio.
Thank you for the information.

Rose Leslie