No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-13, 1:49pm

Default Dipped mandrel holder

Tall wood cigar boxes
Old 2013-02-14, 6:35am

I use a terracotta flower pot full of sand (tape over the hole in the bottom). More flame resistant in the studio and it hold lots of mandrels pointing straight up.

Robert
Old 2013-02-14, 9:06am

I use the small empty cans they sell in Home Depot and fill them with white rice. The tops of the cans make great frit trays!
Old 2013-02-14, 9:47am

I use 1.5" to 2" styrofoam sheet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-14, 9:57am
novembersfyre everywhere

I use sand for my solid mandrels. For hollow ones I use Styrofoam (I don't like to eat the sand when I blow) - it's not too sturdy, however, I might try the cigar boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-14, 10:03am

I have a block drilled to accept the mandrels, I have used beer mugs and artisan coffee mugs filled with sand in the past or for demos.
For some reason the 2x4 is not visually appealing.

Old 2013-02-14, 10:29am
All Zeke, all the time

I make my kids hold them til they dry
Old 2013-02-14, 11:07am
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Baaawwaaaahhaaaahhaaaa!

Might be worth a try. But I'd have to ship them a couple hundred miles
Old 2013-02-14, 1:31pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
I use the small empty cans they sell in Home Depot and fill them with white rice.
I was intrigued. Then I realized you typed "rice", not "mice".

-BEP
Old 2013-02-14, 2:40pm
offically down under

I use rice too. I used to use sand but that spilled one day and made a god awful mess. Rice works great, is very cheap and occasionally I have a problem with mice.

Do not use vermiculite to stand your mandrels. You don't want to move that stuff around as it is rumored to be nasty to inhale.

Old 2013-02-14, 3:26pm

Sand in a jar with a screw-on lid makes a nice transportable mandrel holder. My friends who like martinis say that olive jars are the best.

Nolly
Old 2013-02-14, 3:30pm

I use a bucket of salt to hold the mandrels...but I have to admit that the kids holding the mandrels made me giggle!

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-02-14, 3:34pm
birdergirl ~o~

I use a big restaurant size tin can half filled with vermiculite. and a few smaller cans for certain sized mandrel so I don't have to hunt while torching!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2013-02-14, 4:12pm
sunscreen me baby

I have a big block of scrap wood and my husband drilled holes in it. I can dip almost 200 mandrels at a time. Love. It.

~

Old 2013-02-15, 12:14am

I use wet floral bricks. They sell one for dry flowers but it is not as dense. They last a long time but have to be replaced every couple of years. But they are cheap.
Old 2013-02-15, 10:10am
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft Eeusk View Post
Baaawwaaaahhaaaahhaaaa!

Might be worth a try. But I'd have to ship them a couple hundred miles
LOL! both of these made me laugh.

I use a small metal pail (I think left over from Easter a few years ago) fill with Sand. Holds lots of mandrels of all sizes.

thank goodness, I haven't had it spill yet. Knock on wood.

Old 2013-02-15, 11:14am
Creative Spirit

Talking

I use good ole sand in plant pots! works like a charm!

Peace Wendy
Old 2013-02-15, 11:34am
hyperT

Default Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Ha Ha Ha Ha that will work! Besides they pretend they are sparklers and dry them faster!

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-02-15 at 11:59am.
Old 2013-02-16, 1:02am
one day at a time

This cigar box idea is great! I would love to try that for my larger mandrels. I use sand in an oval shaped tin. Only problem with the sand is I have to swirl it around and sift it sometimes because in my extremely damp climate, it gets damp and then when it dries, it gets "crunchy". By that I mean hardened, and when have to force the mandrel down in it, the wet bead release slide down a little. It messes up my dip!

I liked the cat litter before, but I don't remember the brand and it was really fine textured. The last stuff was not and the mandrels would stand too loosely in it.
Old 2013-02-16, 1:49am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
(I don't like to eat the sand when I blow)
Tee Hee!!

I use a planter filled with rice. Been using it 4 or 5 years with no problems.

Old 2013-02-16, 2:51am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I used the sand in a flowerpot and that worked well. Now I just dip and flame dry, and I like that soooooo much better!

Old 2013-02-17, 5:23am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadedChic View Post
I use a bucket of salt to hold the mandrels...but I have to admit that the kids holding the mandrels made me giggle!
Be really careful with that, I used to use salt and I stopped for two reasons;

1 - when it rained everything got wet because the salt attracted moisture and then my tools got rusty

2 - more importantly, if the salt gets heated or burned somehow, even just sprinkles, it give off a toxic gas, not good at all

Go for sand or rice if you want that kind of system

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-17, 5:25am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I have a big block of scrap wood and my husband drilled holes in it. I can dip almost 200 mandrels at a time. Love. It.
Same, I have three blocks for different sized mandrels, I can dip about 150 I think

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-17, 5:33am
Burnt Wood Beads

I use styrofoam also, but I have it cut to fit perfectly inside an aluminum pan...less mess.

Old 2013-02-17, 8:04am
Happiness is....

extra large butter dish with sand. I use two hands when I have to move it.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2013-02-17, 8:50am
It's about having fun!

That's great!
I like to show this off, my nephew is an awesome woodworker he builds custom furniture, but look what he made me for christmas!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2013-02-17, 8:52am
Borovangelist

I use floral foam for my 3/32" mandrels.

For the 1/4" rods I use the drilled wooden point holder I made.

If you happen to have or have access to a drill press, it's quick and easy to make a drilled one. You can use a piece of a non-pressure treated 6x6 post, or do what I did. I took short lengths of boards, stacked them, and drilled holes in all four corners. I glued a dowel in all 4 corners to hold it all together, then drilled my holes in the rest of the piece. I used scrap wood, so the only cost was the dowels.

The point holder's off to the side there:

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2013-02-17 at 8:56am. Reason: added the picture
Old 2013-02-22, 1:07am

OMG......That beautiful timber stand!!!

Does he take commissions?
Mandy
Old 2013-02-22, 2:10am

I just use sand in flower pots as well. Smaller pots (3) for different sizes. Works good but I have dropped once or twice. I also use a sifter sometimes when the sand gets hard and it also get's rid of all the dry release that somehow manages to get in there.

Old 2013-02-24, 12:47am

I use sand in a small plastic basin like you get in the hospital when I first dip the mandrels. I transfer to a coffee can also filled with sand that sits on my bench when they are dry. I use a small piece of scotch tape scrunched up on the end of the hollow mandrels. I don't like eating sand either.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11