LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-01-29, 11:30am
DSDWC

Yeah I need to drop that off the sig.You would be surprised how many ornaments and icicles I have sold since Christmas. Who would have thought it.
Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-29, 12:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
well the weather finally broke here and the wind is gone for now But as I read I see I'm not needed any more as the experts have taken over as it wouldn't mater what a non expert would have to say about it lol .
guess it takes a expert to watch colored smoke get sucked up a pipe and a gas sniffer to see if there is any unburned gas or fumes left lol I just hope the tests are done with the vent on as what difference does it make what things do if the vents are off lol.

l8tr all
Have a great day !
AcidFly
WRONG...... Your tests are valid and needed..... Anything that involves a group and collaboration at single place and includes a lawyer will be a long time before anything useful comes forth....

Like everything most of this stuff is driven by individuals and relys on a group to prove/disprove whatever the "concept" is valid........

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-01-29 at 8:27pm.
Old 2010-02-01, 10:36pm

Quote:
well the weather finally broke here and the wind is gone for now But as I read I see I'm not needed any more as the experts have taken over as it wouldn't mater what a non expert would have to say about it lol .
guess it takes a expert to watch colored smoke get sucked up a pipe and a gas sniffer to see if there is any unburned gas or fumes left lol I just hope the tests are done with the vent on as what difference does it make what things do if the vents are off lol.

l8tr all
Have a great day !
AcidFly
Don't let anyone discourage you from doing the side view tests and posting them. You did a good job on the front-view tests. What you've been willing to do so far is just as valuable as what others have contributed and the side shots will be equally so. Tests can be just as important as analysis. We'll all be smarter as a result of your contribution, so don't sell yourself short!

Continuing to look forward to your side-view tests!

Linda
Old 2010-02-01, 11:04pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
Yeah I need to drop that off the sig.You would be surprised how many ornaments and icicles I have sold since Christmas. Who would have thought it.
Peace
You should keep that Christmas ornament thing in your sig line. It's a reminder of who the artist is that makes those gorgeous icicles! It's possible that you might continue to sell your special icicles throughout the year.
Old 2010-02-01, 11:05pm
And silence is golden

Someone send me some of those smoke bombs and I'll do the tests too.
Old 2010-02-02, 8:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassshack View Post
I've been told that if you place the 8' or better yet 10' intake dead center of the hood and add baffles to the sides, inside the hood, that it makes the pull, left to right and front to back much more powerful in the vacume of the hood ... hope that makes sense I'm about to try it on both my hoods and see if there's any difference in the tests. I'm a firm believer in sides from the hood to the desk good and air tight.
Yep, it does make sense. Do you have a way to take a video of your tests? It would be a great addition to what Acidfly has done and is planning to do. Sounds like Aleta is willing to pitch in tests on hers, as well.

Linda
Old 2010-02-02, 1:09pm
And silence is golden

Default I need smoke bombs like Steve's

I do take smoke bomb donations! Send yer bombs via USPS! Just kidding. Acid, where can I get those bombs at? I'll get energized and look on the internet tonight. Right now it's easier to ask you, instead of getting up off my "lazy derierre" and look for myself! You know I'm the lazy sort!

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-02-03 at 11:33am. Reason: I had to clean up my potty mouth
Old 2010-02-02, 1:32pm
Boro Bum

I got mine from the local Indian reservation store were people get their cigarettes from. That's the only place i could find them they sell those and sparklers.
I would send you all some but I know the shipping would just be crazy or not at all as their black powder in them so HAZMAT would kill it if they would even let them be shipped.

sorry
AcidFly
P.S. more test to come I have had a lazy spell and well didn't get called back to work so I got to deal with that, but very soon maybe tonight I can get off my lazy butt and GET_UR_DONE lol
Old 2010-02-02, 2:06pm

I too am anxiously awaiting the side view results. I am finally getting around to unpacking my studio and I'm trying to decide whether to go with the set-up I had before (glasscraft hood) or try to rig up something different.

thanks!
Ana
Old 2010-02-02, 7:18pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
I got mine from the local Indian reservation store were people get their cigarettes from. That's the only place i could find them they sell those and sparklers.
I would send you all some but I know the shipping would just be crazy or not at all as their black powder in them so HAZMAT would kill it if they would even let them be shipped.

sorry
AcidFly
P.S. more test to come I have had a lazy spell and well didn't get called back to work so I got to deal with that, but very soon maybe tonight I can get off my lazy butt and GET_UR_DONE lol
Ok, I guess I'll wait to see your results. So....Git-er-dunn!
Old 2010-02-02, 8:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
I do take smoke bomb donations! Send yer bombs via USPS! Just kidding. Steve, where can I get those bombs at? I'll get energized and look on the internet tonight. Right now it's easier to ask you, instead of getting up off my "lazy derierre" and looking myself! You know I'm the lazy sort!
Robert Simmons once posted a link to a place where industrial-use smoke bombs can be ordered. I bet if you searched on his posts, you'll be able to find it.

Linda
Old 2010-02-02, 10:02pm
Boro Bum

OK guys are you ready to see it ? lol it sucks as its only my 2nd ever video i did lol but you get the point and i tried to do some of the things you all asked. Remember I have no clue what i'm doing just having fun.

but here it is

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/smokebombtest2.mp4/

AcidFly
Old 2010-02-03, 8:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

Very good..... It would indicate to me that you have it pretty well mastered.... About 2.5 to 3 min into test your cigarette smoke was drifting from right side of picture right towards hood which indicates you have air coming from behind you.....

This is by far the best series of test I have yet to see.........

As for the adventurous, there are chemical smoke sticks made and sold (not a hazmat item) for testing air flow/air currents.....

GOOGLE search: "smokes stick hvac".... or something similar

http://store.metermall.com/shared/St...FRcdawodBwmUag

Probaly can find a number less than 12 in a purchase and cheaper with some searching....

There is also is recipes on GOOGLE for "smoke bombs" but I don't recommended trying those.... And some ingredients may be hard to get, and manufacturing processes may be unsafe...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-02-03 at 10:25am.
Old 2010-02-03, 9:21am
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks Acid~
I may upgrade my round out take vent pipe for the bigger rectangle one like yours~ had been considering it ~ looks like a good idea. It seems to work a bigger capture area.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-02-03, 10:23am
And silence is golden

Yeah Acidfly!
Old 2010-02-03, 11:03am
old fart

Quote:
OK guys are you ready to see it ? lol it sucks as its only my 2nd ever video i did lol but you get the point and i tried to do some of the things you all asked. Remember I have no clue what i'm doing just having fun.

but here it is

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/smokebombtest2.mp4/

AcidFly
great video, and great ventilation. thanks for posting. i only wish i knew what your name is. great job acid!!!

Old 2010-02-03, 2:24pm
birdergirl ~o~

I sent the new video link to a friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer. His job includes industrial air conditioning and heating and related safety factors in the industrial workplace.
His comments:
"That was pretty good. He did the same thing we talked about but using smoke bombs instead of incense.
His cigarette smoke actually told the whole story."

Senior Consultant Engineer

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-02-03, 2:52pm

Acidfly - I think all of us who take safety seriously around her have wanted to see some kind of real-world test of using a funnel system for ventilation. They say "a picture is worth a thousand words." Your video is worth exponentially more. Thank you VERY much - I really appreciate your effort!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2010-02-03, 3:03pm
DSDWC

Nice vid Acidfly.
That is pretty much how my system performs as well.
Hopefully this type of ventilation will begin to receive a little more respect from the skeptics.
It would be nice to see similar smoke bomb test vids done with the hood systems as well.

Old 2010-02-03, 4:57pm
honorary bead lady

Great! I really like how it shows the plume move backward when the tubing is inserted into the flame.

So what are you running for a fan?
Old 2010-02-03, 5:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ahh yes.... How about some specifics, like ....

Fan CFM.
Duct diameter.
Total duct length.
"Funnel" dimensions.
And "fuxture" on duct outlet(exhaust)?
What is make up air source?

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-02-03 at 5:07pm.
Old 2010-02-03, 5:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Nice vid Acidfly.
That is pretty much how my system performs as well.
Hopefully this type of ventilation will begin to receive a little more respect from the skeptics.
It would be nice to see similar smoke bomb test vids done with the hood systems as well.
Most of the skeptics did not have any specific numbers or videos as proof that Acidfly has now brought us!

Somebody just stating "it moves a boat load of air" isn't very definitive...

Dale

Old 2010-02-03, 5:13pm
Boro Bum

I can find the stupid paper i had the fan spec's wrote on and of coarse i covered all the numbers when putting it in but I will pull it apart maybe tonight and get the info for you guys. My mind is well "to much parting when younger" lol and cant for the life of me rember what the fan was i think around 800 cfm but I will get it all together l8tr tonight as a friend is stopping over and i can get him to help me get it down
all info to follow : but the pipe is 6" and all came from home depot off the shelf 2 adjustable elbows a i think 6 inch spacer a flat type connector i drilled holes in to hook to fan and the register piece i think was 4 x 12 opening biggest they had in 6 in.
But I'll double check everything and post a list later.

Thx all for finding this useful and hope you get the info and idea's you might have been looking for )

Thanks again
AcidFly
Old 2010-02-03, 7:20pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Yours is the same system as I am using in my shop and I am amazed at how well it works. I can stick a 2 x 2 piece of wood directly in the flame where a glass rod wood be and not smell any smoke or see any for that matter. I guess it is due due to the complete burning of the organic matter in the intense heat of the torch. If I drop the wood just below the flame I get a nice plume of smoke off the wood that goes directly into the collector.
I did the same test with a 2 x 2 (not kidding!) piece of oak and got the same results with my funnel system.

The fan is a Panasonic http://tinyurl.com/yerqq38. I did a lot of research to find a relatively quiet one, this one is 2 sones and with the short ducting (20" from the reducer to the fan) it is really quiet.

The system exhausts straight outside of the basement. This is how it looks from the outside

The make-up air comes from a vent across the room (behind me) that my husband had installed to use the basement as a shop (for paint fumes). We were going to have a vent under the torch first (hole in the table, ducting under the table, etc) but after he had installed the hole thing we found that would have been overkill.

I had to move my table a little further from the funnel because the draft was interfering with the flame, so I pulled my table away so that it's now exactly 12" from the funnel. The funnel itself is just a 10 to 8 reducer.

Old 2010-02-03, 10:10pm

Excellent, Acidfly! Thank you for both videos.

I have absolutely been one of the skeptics. Most of the time, when funnel systems come up on this and other forums, folks are asking how to design them. No one yet has posted a way to analyze how to design one, unlike the hood systems, for which there is an established industrial heritage to draw from. That said, what Acidfly has given us is an example of one that looks like it does a good job - and tests to back up its performance.

I'm also very interested in the fan size and other info about how your system is put together. The side shots were even more insightful than the side ones, but knowing the specifics would really help put your approach into context. Hopefully this will inspire the crowd here to come up with some design criteria for this type of system, much like the ones that exist for hood systems.

Thanks for taking up the challenge and starting a great thread, Acidfly! You've made a valuable contribution.

Linda
Old 2010-02-04, 9:14pm
Disconnected

And what am I, chop liver?

Old 2010-02-05, 6:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
No... Your pictures are very good quality and and very graphic and measurements and details are good, but where is smoke test video.... So far "acidfly" has trumped everyone on entire board on "system testing"....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-02-05 at 6:14am.
Old 2010-02-05, 8:49am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Your system totally rocks, and I believe it would function just as well as Acidfly's. Love your setup!
Old 2010-02-05, 3:31pm
Disconnected

Allright then allright, I was just kidding, I admit that a video would help. I just haven't figured out how to download it but I'll work on that.
Now if I could solve the COLD DRAFT problem I would be completely happy!

Old 2010-02-05, 3:41pm
Boro Bum

I cut a piece of 1in pink foam round like the vent then i have a old rag around it so all i have to do is shove it in the vent when not in use and that blocks the cold air from getting in the rag hangs down and that a reminder to pull out the plug when you go to use it
still working on all the info for my stuff

AcidFly