No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-02-19, 12:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
First I have to say this isn't me, I forgot who originally posted the pic I just thought it would make a good reminder
Ummm Owie? Okay I work with packing glass all day but I have never EVER done this...OMG!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-19, 12:50pm

Remember the story.....Torched off mandrel. It fell on my lap. Jumped a bit, it moved a bit and continued to burn a different area of my sweatpants. Jumped again...then again. The last time it actually burnt through the pants and I got up and wiggled and jiggled and it went sliding down my leg. Burning all the way down. Ended up...get this IN MY SOCK! Socks fit pretty tight around the leg dontcha think? How this got into the sock and down it is beyond me but by the time I stripped off my clothes, uggs and socks..this is what it left behind...

It added a crap load of wrinkles to my foot I guess when the skin started to tighten. Foot looks really ugly sorry. I had really pretty painted toenails though.
You cant' tell but this is below the ankle bone. (side)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-19, 3:39pm
Does it come in purple?

The worst burn I've had wasn't done at the torch, but welding. I was tacking a piece of steel onto the positioner and stupidly held it by the top. Struck the arc about 6 inches below my hand, how dumb was that? I was wearing leather gauntlets, and the leather shrink-wrapped itself around my thumb. I had a big burn that blistered almost the length of the side of my thumb. It hurt like hell, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it as I was the only woman there LOL I kept it covered and put lavender oil on it every day and babied that blister. It stayed intact until it just peeled off one day and I have no scar. Believe me, I was a lot more careful after that!

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2010-02-19, 5:49pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Can you tell me where I might be able to purchase Biogauze. I checked all my local stores and no go and even Googled it with no luck. Any help would be appreciated!
I found about it many years ago from a student who just came back from Paris. I had a few friends living in France and they sent me a package of it.

I have tried googling it to order more. Zilch! My friends don't live there any more, but I may be able to get some. If anyone is interested, I can see what I can do to get more for an illegal bulk buy. I am guessing illegal because of importing medical products, it may not be ok.

It comes with many sheets in one pack.

As you can see it is stored between plastic film. And it is a green medicated gauze. It smells like a refreshing eucalyptus medley of good stuff. Just cut the size of your burn, and cover it with medical tape or band aid. Leave it on for a day or two, or take a peek at the burn to see if it needs more time. If the burn still hurts when exposed to oxygen, I'd keep it on for a longer period. Of course, if it is a 3rd degree, go see a doctor.

Not sure if you can read this. Perhaps if anyone has a friend who can get this for them, here's some info.

I love this stuff.

Old 2010-02-26, 10:50am
as in the state

Maybe we should all do a trip to Italy, with a side trip to France to be bringing some of that stuff back!

I'd love to have some.

-Amy
Old 2010-02-26, 10:57am
as in the state

http://www.novumpharma.nl/index.php?id=1118&L=1

They have quite the website with various meds on there. A pain reliever that has ketaprofen, a cough syrup with codeine, a med similar to mucinex. Wonder how we would get our hands on any. I tried their "drugstore" link and that was under construction. Poo.

Wonder if it's available in other parts of Europe, or just France, since it appears to be manufactured in France from the label pics.

But Novum Pharma is headquartered in the Netherlands.

-Amy

Last edited by CO_Phantom; 2010-02-26 at 10:59am.
Old 2010-02-26, 4:18pm
Who me?

GAWD, bead makers must be the only humans that photograph their boo-boos.

Some of those thumbs look like mine - too bad my pics are on the laptop that died.
Old 2010-02-26, 4:44pm

Yep, I had a burn like that a couple of weeks ago. Slightly smaller and next to my thumb nail and hell, they stink of burning skin. I had tranp. nail polish on and it went all black and bubbly too. That just looks a picture! Similar reason too, reaching across for a tool that was on the wrong side. I think thumb skin must be kind of tough because it went all hard and eventually peeled off. right now its shiny pink and doesn't look much like scarring.
The most interesting burn was having a melted tip pop off a rod and drop between my breasts. It was burning its way through my bra centre when I fished it out with tweezers just in time. I ended up embroidering around the hole with seed beads to give the bra a 'special' look LOL

Kym
Old 2010-02-26, 8:39pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've had two bad ones. Last year, I had a piece of SIS break and stupidly tried to reach under the flame to grab the broken off piece. I got distracted and plunged my thumb right into the flame. Thankfully, my thumbnail took the brunt of the burn, but I had a nice blister along one side of the nail. I insisted on finishing the bead. A friend kindly brought me a jar of water to soak it in when not in use.

Here's a pic of my singed nail. The only reason I took a pic is that I have a friend who is as clutzy as I am so we share our misshap stories. Another friend suggested I paint the rest of my nails brown to match. Finally after walking around with the brown spotted thumbnail for a few days, for some unknown reason, I started scratching at the nail while showering and realized that the brown gunk would scratch right off.

Last month, I took a marble class and was flame polishing a big honking vortex marble when it fell off the punty. it landed on my thumb and on the fleshy area between my finger and thumb, leaving me with three nice burns. (I still have some dark spots from the two worst of the burns.) I jumped up in shock and it bounced and hit the cuff and then the front of my sweatshirt and then the thigh of my jeans, leaving a trail of brown singe marks. Surprisingly, it came out of the sweatshirt after a couple of washings and most of it came out of my jeans. I was so startled that I ran to the sink. My instructor retrieved the marble from the floor and finished flame polishing it for me. It came out pretty cool. I covered the burn with bandaids, put on kevlar sleeves and went back to work.

I've also tried to stop stringer from falling out of a mailing tube (when the end cap fell off) by throwing my hand in front of the tube. A very thin bit of stringer got stuck in the back of my thumb and left me with a nice infection.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2010-02-26 at 8:45pm.
Old 2010-02-26, 8:49pm
And silence is golden

So far, I have only gotten a burn similar to Traci's. I did however acquire a nasty injury while building my shed to make way for my studio space in the garage. I thought the planer blade automatically stopped when you let go of the trigger. Duh!

So far, I think !ngrid has had the worst looking burn I've see from a torch.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-02-26 at 8:52pm.
Old 2010-02-26, 9:24pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Those look like stiches!!!!! Ouch!

Old 2010-02-26, 9:39pm
And silence is golden

They were stitches. There was nothing left to sew up, so they stitched the sides up as tight as they could, to cover the bone. Most of the feeling came back in the index finger, but the middle finger never quite came back right. I figured it was karma for the time I flipped someone off.
Old 2010-02-26, 10:44pm

Aleta wins the Most Graphic Photo Award.

Old 2010-02-27, 12:19pm
And silence is golden

Curity is a division of Tyco Healthcare Group. They make a Non-Adhering Dressing (referance #6112). They also have another product called Xeroform (referance #8884 433605). This is similar to the Biogaze.

They have a toll free number 800-962-9888. Web address: www.tycohealthcare.com
Old 2010-02-27, 12:52pm
Tacki

Holy crap Aleta.
Old 2010-02-27, 1:33pm
honorary bead lady

Aleta
Ok that is making my skin crawl! Been there almost done that, just nipped the end of my finger.
Old 2010-02-27, 1:41pm
just another glass addict

I just got my first torch flame burn a few weeks ago. I was looking for the tool I just put down when I bumped my pinky on the hot marble mold. I do that all the time, but when I jerked it away I sent my thumb knuckle right into the torch flame. Luckily it was cold so all I had to do was hold my arm up and the vent fan cooled it (good suction). I even finished the marble (okay it's kind of bumpy and lumpy but it is round). After the cold water I poured aloe that I keep in the fridge on it. The weirdest thing was that it never blistered or got raw. It really didn't even hurt that much, but for a few days I could barely pick anything up with my thumb. It just didn't work and it hurt pretty bad inside. I didn't really think there was anything a doctor could do so I coated it with vitamin E to keep the skin soft. It's looks pretty good, but it feels a little weird still. Definitely not as painful as it should be. I think I cooked it. Needless to say I am keeping my table much cleaner now and I pointed my torch up a little higher.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-02-27, 3:13pm

Eeeeeek I have to blink really fast as I go by the pictures
Old 2010-02-27, 5:18pm
And silence is golden

Meker, I've been wondering how you are doing today. That burn or yours reminds me of...... "I'm done, stick a fork in me". You seriously seared yourself. I got a little burn tonight from the vegetable steamer, and it isn't very comfortable. But you my friend, are well done.
Old 2010-02-27, 8:01pm

Its healing up just fine. After the dead skin sloughed (I love that word) off, it dried out into a scab like coating. I never had any burn-type pain, although nerve sensation has returned.

Old 2010-02-27, 9:07pm
And silence is golden

It still looks sensative meker.
Old 2010-02-27, 11:56pm

Its a little tender, kind of like a cut. I'm going to be fine.

Old 2010-02-28, 12:13am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
So far, I have only gotten a burn similar to Traci's. I did however acquire a nasty injury while building my shed to make way for my studio space in the garage. I thought the planer blade automatically stopped when you let go of the trigger. Duh!

So far, I think !ngrid has had the worst looking burn I've see from a torch.

I consider myself a pretty tough cookie, and all the other stories or pictures didn't affect me.

But this one is just yiiikkkkeeeesss!
Aleta, that doesn't look good ... hope all healed well and you didn't have any longterm damage on your fingers?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-02-28, 5:21pm
as in the state

Yeah that one makes me cringe.

Tingles up the spine, and everything!

How DID that heal up?

-Amy
Old 2010-02-28, 5:26pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
That is gnarly! Holy shit!

Old 2010-03-06, 2:14pm

Oh...man...those boo...boos look awful....((((H U G S))))

gail

Cricket w/ 5 lpm Oxycon
Old 2010-03-06, 4:51pm

I speared myself this week with a stringer. It was a commercial stringer so it wasn't too skinny (like when we pull them ourselves). I was trying to twist into the hot bead and it just broke right off in my hand and pierced my thumb. I finished the bead then used my tweezers to pull out a small sliver. Had a little blood and it was a little sore but nothing as serious as the other stringer picture.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-05-29, 8:04am

My bench has gotten kind of messy, and my rod rest was full, so I set a short rod of silver glass down on the metal countertop at the back of my bench - because the front was too messy - didn't want bits of glass sticking to the hot end of the rod.

I then picked up a full rod of glass to make the base bead - and when I was done with that, propped it up on top of the glass already resting on my rod rest - then reached back over that to grab the short rod that i set at the back and laid the bottom of my forearm across the long rod that I had just set down. I knew that I had burned myself pretty good, but i finished the bead and then shut everything down before I went into the house.

The burn was about 1" long by 3/8" wide - and I covered it with a large bandage with antibiotic on it.

Three days later I had this:

The red area around the burn was raised, sore to touch, and VERY hot - The Dr. put me on antibiotics and it is very slowly healing.

Still......it looks mild compared to Ingrid's injury - OUCH!!!
Attached Images

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Last edited by wendybritt; 2010-05-29 at 8:08am.
Old 2010-05-29, 6:47pm

Ok, I don't have any pictures of burns (although I've had my share) I'll just say "NEVER TRY TO CATCH A DREMEL TOOL THAT IS FALLING!!" I did just that and the diamond tip broke off as it went in one end and out the other end of my ring finger! All I could do was stare in disbelief. I didn't want to freak out my kids so I quietly yelled for my husband (who also couldn't believe what he was seeing) He asked me if I wanted to go to the emergency room to have it pulled out, to which I replied "HELL NO!" I had hair color in my hair and on my eyebrows!!! So, I braced myself and told him to PULL! Talk about a hell of a piercing!!! The tetanus shot hurt a lot worse though.

Old 2010-05-29, 7:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh my, that story made my stomach twist. I don't know if my hubby would have been able to do that for me, he gets "funny" when someone in the house gets hurt...
Weird though, he never used to have problems putting butterfly stitches on friends who had been in bar fights.

Don't blame you for not wanting to go the ER! That's too funny, I clean beads with hair dye on too