Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-03-05, 12:41am
Entropy increasing....

Clearly, some of you don't have the sense you were born with.
Old 2012-03-25, 1:26pm

Hi,

I´ve burned myself 3 times, two of them in the fingers from grabbing hot rods, I´m used to leave them with the hot part heading the wall but these times I was distracted and left them heading towards me so there´s was no way I couldn´t miss tha! hahhaa!
And the third was in my forearm, I hit it againts the head of my Cheetah, luckily it was not turned on at the moment, I had just finished torching that day.
Old 2012-08-26, 2:14pm
color bomb

I'd like to apologize all those times I laughed at you guys for sticking hot rods in your mouth. I'll be breaking THAT habit pronto.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
It always amazes me that people whine so much about 'shocky' glass and then I watch as they take a cold rod and wave it rapidly up and down through the flame..shock, shock, shock, shock!! How could it not shatter? It's just been heated and cooled over a many hundred degree temp change repeatedly in a couple seconds.
shocking.
Actually the waving is done for a different reason and works quite well at preventing shock. When you remove the rod (rapidly) from the flame the heat does not stop. The heat on the surface of the glass now has some time to travel inward while the hot outer surface cools some. Basically what you are trying to avoid is having a very hot molten outside and a very cool inner core. The difference in expansion will tear apart the rod resulting in the "shocky" glass.

Shock can also be caused by other reasons (mixed colors such as pink, scratches, non amorphous structure, chemical composition etc) which is why some glass is more prone to shock than others.

Yes, there are other ways to avoid shock, preheat, heat slower, heat indirectly, heat with rotation, or heat with waving. All are valid methods that try to accomplish similar tasks... bring up the core temperature before the outer gets too hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"
Old 2012-09-12, 1:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
GAWD, bead makers must be the only humans that photograph their boo-boos.

Some of those thumbs look like mine - too bad my pics are on the laptop that died.
you should see the "bite club" at a reptile forum I used to hang at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.