Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-26, 10:54pm

Default Ear plugs

The kind that you wear in your pierced ears. Has anyone made them? I see some on Etsy but they all seem to be boro. I am wondering if it would be safe to make them in soft glass as I have someone requesting them. I was thinking I could just do a tube shaped bead (with a lip at each end to hold it in place), of the right dimensions and leave the hole - or maybe get creative and glue a crystal on each end or something to cover it up. But I am a little worried because all the ones I have seen seem to be in boro. Although it seems like if they were properly annealed, soft glass would be strong enough.

Thoughts or examples anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-26, 11:23pm
Creatrixie

There's another thread about this topic (it got de-railed into a "Copying is Evil" funk)...
Someone mentioned that they use calipers to check the diameter when they're making them. So far, no mention about if anyone is making them with soft glass...
Good luck!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-03-26, 11:35pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

I don't know why soft glass wouldn't be ok. You know of course, that the terms hard and soft glass doesn't really mean that hard or boro is less breakable. That's just referring to how it melts. The difference between the two is that boro is less sensitive to thermo shock. So, unless someone is putting their ears into a fire and then in the freezer, I think plain ol' 104 would be just fine.
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-03-27, 12:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetda View Post
I don't know why soft glass wouldn't be ok. You know of course, that the terms hard and soft glass doesn't really mean that hard or boro is less breakable. That's just referring to how it melts. The difference between the two is that boro is less sensitive to thermo shock. So, unless someone is putting their ears into a fire and then in the freezer, I think plain ol' 104 would be just fine.
You know its funny, because I know that, but for some reason in my mind boro is "stronger" or something.

Old 2010-03-27, 12:19am
The Forgetful Beadmaker

It's a common misconception. People hesitate to make buttons and stuff too. It really doesn't matter. Have fun and play!

j
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-03-27, 2:58am

Someone once told me I shouldn't be making rings because rings should only be boro, since it's "stronger". Hmmmm......

Old 2010-03-27, 3:55am

I have tried making some, but the only ones I have looked at were the plastic and metals ones at the tattoo/piercing shop - they are the ones that want some.

I will try to get a pic of the simple ones I made (yep, I did use boro) and whilst they were fairly easy to make, I haven't bought the calipers to determine the width and therefore have not attempted to sello any or anything. I would say that soft glass ones would be fine to use, I only used boro because I know other body decoration stuff is in boro, its funny how we get stuck on an idea!

The way I did mine was to make a little barrel (with a murrini on the end) and then heat the end and press flat which spreads the glass out to form a lip - repeat on the other side, remove final punti and smooth off - I haven't made one on mandrel because I like the murrini in the ends. I have been on the hunt for someone local to test them out for me before I take them into the shop!

Nat

Old 2010-03-27, 9:10am
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Someone once told me I shouldn't be making rings because rings should only be boro, since it's "stronger". Hmmmm......
Well, perhaps someone learned better now.
Old 2010-03-27, 9:21am
Creatrixie

Smile Good!

See? now the discussion here is actually useful! Thanks guys!

I think that the calipers would just help because then you could start with a list of sizes that shops liked to carry and would be able to separate/label them into sizes.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104

Last edited by MerryFool; 2010-03-27 at 9:22am. Reason: smilie
Old 2010-06-18, 12:16pm
Glass Attack

here's a website that uses soda lime(soft glass) for their jewelry for sale.. its just for sale, no tutorials or anything, but you can get an idea of how they look.

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcar...productid=5568
hope that helps a bit!

Old 2010-06-18, 1:53pm
sunscreen me baby

HerbalBurn, those are some cool looking ear plugs. Thanks for the link.

~

Old 2010-06-18, 2:32pm
Feminist Killjoy

Managed to make some 4 gauge plugs for my BIL the other night. I was surprised at how hard they were to do. 'Course, I haven't torched in like, 6 months.
Old 2010-06-19, 2:48pm
Glass Attack

sweet! i was thinking, if you had some spare graphite, or some kind of mold you could make some gauged molds, and then just melt the glass into them with fusing technique.. same size each time.. and the colors you mixed into it, would be different for each as well!

Old 2012-02-28, 10:06pm
Early Flameworker

Default My Plugs

I doubt anybody will see this, I missed the thread while it was good, haha, but here are a couple of my takes/experiments on gauges. Both are 00 (10 mm) size, and functional, I have a couple friends with gauges who test them out for me.
Attached Images

Old 2012-02-28, 10:39pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Second one is cool. I made some like the first one for my daughter, she said the front was too heavy.
I gave up for a while but the kids are bugging me again to try..... Need to get working with the boro I have now.......
are yours soft or boro?
Sue

Old 2012-03-17, 10:00pm
Early Flameworker

They're out of boro. I used a small diameter marble mold to flare out the ends just a little bit. They're best around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long. Good luck!