Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: what side is your kiln on andf is it the same as your most used hand?
Right handed, kiln right side 98 42.98%
Left handed, kiln left side 17 7.46%
Right handed, kiln on left side 96 42.11%
Left handed, kiln on right side 14 6.14%
Kiln on both sides....I kick butt making beads 3 1.32%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-18, 5:04pm

Default What side of your work space is your kiln on?

I know this seems odd but I was wondering what side you have your kiln on and are you right or left handed (to see if it makes a difference) I was looking at studio pics and didnt know if it made a difference.

Last edited by blondewants2bead; 2007-11-18 at 5:08pm. Reason: forgot something
Old 2007-11-18, 5:07pm
HotFlash Designs

I am right handed. One kiln sits to my right, and one is about 10 feet behind me. Then if I am using it, I have the crock pot there somewhere too.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2007-11-18, 6:15pm

ooooo, right now it's a 50/50 split!
Old 2007-11-18, 6:42pm
Wendy

Right handed and on my left side. Strictly a "the cord is only so long" decision for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2007-11-18, 6:50pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Mine is on my left side and I am right handed. But that is only because the outlet is on the left of me. I can't wait to get my basement studio started where my first requirement is lots and lots of outlets!

My Etsy shop: https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-11-18, 7:09pm

I was just wondering this same thing. Great minds think alike! I'm right handed, kiln on left cause bead door handle is closest to me that way. Wondering if it can be moved to other side?
Old 2007-11-18, 7:15pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I am right handed and my kiln is about a foot to the left of my torch on the same work table.

I figured I would burn myself too much if it was on the right as its a much longer reach to the handle..
Old 2007-11-18, 7:52pm
Ad astra per aspera

Hehe, let me mess up the curve.

I'm right-handed, and my kiln is on the right, but I'd PREFER it to be on the left. It's only on the right because that was the place I could put it, not where I'd have liked to put it.

Old 2007-11-18, 8:17pm
Burning Fingers!

I'm right handed, and my kiln is on the left. I like to open the kiln door with my left hand while putting the bead into the holder in the kiln with my right hand - works for me!

/
/
/

Old 2007-11-19, 3:33am

left handed and the kiln is on the right. i like it that way i can stretch and put my bead in the kiln with the hand that is holding the mandrel. i hold my mandrel with my right and apply glass with my left
Old 2007-11-19, 5:19am
Anyone need some spacers?

Mine is behind me right now and not in a great place but it is the only place I have for it. When I move and set up the studio it will be to my right. So I vote Right!

Old 2007-11-19, 5:21am
Borovangelist

technically to the left, but it's also a couple steps away.

I want it on the bench with me, but I haven't figured out how to reconfigure my workspace to do that, not lose any glass space (bench is a mess!), and still stay under where my hood is.

Maybe if I move the oxy tanks..hrmmmmm.....After the holidays

|
|
Old 2007-11-19, 7:20am

You did not give a choice for straight in front. That is where my main kiln is currently. I love having it so close.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-11-19, 7:34am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Right handed, on the left. However when we get out second station set up, it will be right handed on the right. Either way doesn't make much a difference to me.

I have a rolling drafting chair, so I just roll over to it.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-11-19, 10:27am
da General

Our kiln is a couple of steps from the torch - so it really doesn't matter which side since we have to get up and walk to it anyway.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-19, 10:41am
Ghost Town Glass

Right handed, to the right of one torch, to the left of the other, on top of the glass rack. Aka between the two benches!

Old 2007-11-19, 10:53am
T.J. made me do it

Right handed, would prefer it on the left 'cause it's easier to open door with left and reach over and insert bead with right. Unfortunately kiln needs to be on dedicated circuit so it is to my right.
Old 2007-11-19, 5:52pm
Glass Addict

Another curve ball... Due to moving soon I have a temp set up and mine is about 20 feet away in another room from my workspace. According to my studio design though it (Chili Pepper) will be in the middle of two torches. My firefly will be on the right for PMC (when I get it)....

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-11-19, 6:21pm

This made sense to me. If my bead is in my dominant hand then the kiln needs to be opposite it so my non dominant hand can open the door without reaching over the torch.

So for me left hand right side. But I tend to go about everything backwards.
Old 2007-11-19, 8:38pm
Senior Moment

I am right handed and my kiln sits in between my two torches.
I primarily use the torch on the left so my kiln is on the right side of me.
the handle for the bead door is on the right side of it so it would be awkward to use my left hand to reach across to open it. the mandrel is normally in my left hand so I open the door with my right then swith the mandrel to my right hand. I can then bend down to the left to look into the kiln for placement while placing the mandrel with my right hand.
I find when it is on my left it is too far to reach right handed.

Old 2007-11-19, 8:50pm
Certified Glass Addict

Right handed-lefty kiln.

Glass Stuph
...crafted with my own two hands and FIRE!
Old 2007-11-20, 1:15am
Susanne

Right handed, kiln on right side. Simply cause the outlet is on my right side too. I still need both hands to put a bead in the kiln. I also have to stand up to reach it. Not too practical but thats what happens when you bild a working table with enough hight and depth for your other needs!

Visit

Visit my homepage

FaceBook

Blog

# F-63
Old 2007-11-20, 9:59am
Lady Firebird

Mine is on the workbench BEHIND me, slightly to the right when I swivel around in my chair. So I couldn't vote.

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2007-11-20, 10:21am

I am right handed and have my kiln on the right side, but I never considered my handedness when I decided where to put the kiln. I actually use my left hand to put my beads in - go figure...

Debra
Old 2007-11-20, 10:27am

the one I use is behind me and a couple of steps away. the one I don't use sits on my bench in the left hand corner. I'd use it if it were not sitting right on my bench.

Rob.
Old 2007-11-20, 11:56am
Fire and Fluidity

Julia,

Mine is in the same position. This means that I can swivel on my stool, lift the door with my left hand and then pick up something from the kiln with either hand. This is very useful when checking the fit of pieces, one from the kiln and one coming off the torch.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2007-11-20, 2:40pm

Mine is also directly in front of me.
Mary T.

Old 2007-11-20, 2:43pm
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

Neither! My kiln is right behind me

Old 2007-11-21, 9:31am
Striking-impared...

Right handed, kiln on left. Just easier for me to open the kiln door with my left hand and put the mandrel in with my right.

Old 2007-11-22, 12:39pm

mine is strait in front but I go around my desk on the right.
G.