Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-07-13, 11:02am
maybe tomorrow

Default What website publishing software do you use?

Would you recommend it? What do you like/dislike about it?

I'm looking to make a change from Pappashop and I'd like to find something fairly easy to learn and use.

Any suggestions for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-14, 1:56am
Beadmaking.nl

Hi Toni, I am using Wordpress. Very easy to learn. Http://Wordpress.org

Old 2012-07-15, 8:09am
maybe tomorrow

Thanks Margriet. Wordpress is the only one I've really heard of, but I wasn't sure how easy it was to use. It looks like you are doing amazing things with it!

Any other suggestions out there?

Old 2012-07-15, 9:17am
Salt Box Beads

I am using Bluehost and they have a new drag and drop website builder called Weebly. I love it. Super easy and lots of templates. I am still working on mine so it's not published yet.
Old 2012-07-15, 3:32pm
maybe tomorrow

Thanks Lorraine! I'll check it out.

Old 2012-07-16, 12:21am
Fire Monkey

Do you mean a program to design your site?
I use Komposer. It's free and easy to use.

Old 2012-07-16, 1:04am
beads....mmmm

I use Dreamweaver for creating the code for sites, but I always recommend Wordpress. It's astonishingly robust and easy. Free, too. How cool is that?

::
Old 2012-07-16, 8:12am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
Do you mean a program to design your site?
I use Komposer. It's free and easy to use.
Yes. I haven't needed anything for Pappashop, so now I think I'll need something for wherever I move to. Thanks! I've never heard of Komposer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I use Dreamweaver for creating the code for sites, but I always recommend Wordpress. It's astonishingly robust and easy. Free, too. How cool is that?
I had Dreamweaver years ago when I first started my website because the woman that set it up for me used it. It was WAY more complicated than I wanted to deal with on my own.

I wish there was a way to test some of these.

Old 2012-07-16, 9:29am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post

I wish there was a way to test some of these.
Toni, Weebley has tutorial videos that show you how to do it from start to finish and you can add Paypal too.

After I watched the video clips I knew I could do it fast and easy. You get 6 pages for free. The basic weebly is all you would need and it is free through Bluehost.

http://designers.weebly.com/designer_features.php

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-07-16 at 2:21pm.
Old 2012-07-16, 9:51am
beads....mmmm

You can test Wordpress by setting up a blog at http://wordpress.com/

If you have a host, you can load it on your site and play with it. Download the software here - http://wordpress.org

The self-hosted wordpress sites offer features that the other doesn't.

Old 2012-07-16, 10:00am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
The self-hosted wordpress sites offer features that the other doesn't.
True, true! Lots of plugins, you can modify the code yourself, etc.

Bear in mind that software like WordPress has vulnerabilities and gets hacked now and then. If you let the Wordpress.org site host your site then your site will be kept up-to-date with the latest and greatest version of Wordpress. If you download Wordpress and put it on your own hosted site, then you need to make sure you keep it up to date when new versions with patches come out. I believe Wordpress can alert you when a new version is out or there's a plugin that will do that for you so you can update the code.

-BEP
Old 2012-07-16, 4:50pm
beads....mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
True, true! Lots of plugins, you can modify the code yourself, etc.

Bear in mind that software like WordPress has vulnerabilities and gets hacked now and then. If you let the Wordpress.org site host your site then your site will be kept up-to-date with the latest and greatest version of Wordpress. If you download Wordpress and put it on your own hosted site, then you need to make sure you keep it up to date when new versions with patches come out. I believe Wordpress can alert you when a new version is out or there's a plugin that will do that for you so you can update the code.

-BEP
Yep, true. I have Wordpress set up to notify me of updates, so I see them whenever I log in. Love Wordpress!

Old 2012-07-18, 1:20pm

You should try WordPress, it is the best and the quickest way to get your website live. It's easy to use and manage the WordPress website. WordPress can be used to build a professional website as well. There are millions of WordPress themes available for free. It can be easily customized and number of features can be added using the plugins.

Old 2012-07-18, 3:09pm
maybe tomorrow

I'm thinking that Wordpress may be the way I go. I've talked a little to the guy that will be hosting my site, and he says he uses it, so he'd probably be able to help me if I had questions.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2012-07-19, 7:29am
Marble Lover

If you plan on selling stuff from your web site, make sure you find out what their eCommerce plug-in(s) will cost and how easy they are to use. You don't want an ab-fab looking site that has a horrible interface for selling your items.

-BEP