Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-10, 6:24pm
Loving learning

Default Do you keep a notebook of ideas?

I keep putting things on scraps of paper or worse, assuming I'll remember things. For example, I bought Kugler Silver Brown frit. I know I had a reason, I just don't remember what it was.

I've also had ideas for beads, etc. and sometimes even made a cryptic sketch or notes that make no sense now that I'm looking at them weeks later when I find them (or months?).

I was trying to figure out if I should do a notebook sorted by glass or just random ideas all put in by date order, or ????

If you have a system to keep track of ideas projects and inspiration, and don't mind sharing it, I'd love to hear what it is.
Old 2012-12-10, 6:34pm

The only thing I do, and this is fairly recent, is have a notebook of my boro twist recipes. I even added pics to some of them. Sometimes I can even recreate them. lol Other than that, I'm hopeless. I have soft glass twistie recipes on paper towels, scrap paper....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-10, 6:38pm

I have a notebook that I plan to put together. Currently I have a few Word docs that I just keep cutting and pasting information into.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-12-10, 6:42pm
Nikki Haverstock

Mostly a pile of sketches and list of ideas. And lots of pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-10, 6:47pm
Fire Monkey

I have several sketchbooks, a regular lined notebook and lots of loose paper with notes and sketches. I just grab the nearest thing I see when I need it.

Old 2012-12-10, 7:24pm

I use a program called Zim to keep track of most things. It's a heirarchical notebook program that lets you have notes with sub-notes, and sub-notes of those, and so on. It has cool features like being able to right click and copy an image from a website, then paste it directly into your notes. Each note can have its own directory (this is where sub-notes and any pasted images are stored), and anything can be stored in the directory.

I use this in a lot of ways, for example I create a new note for every show I'm planning to be a vendor at under projects/shows/2012_03_21_The_Show_Name, and I save the show application PDF in the folder for that show along with maps and whatever else I might need.

I also archive a lot of web pages. For example I've got a reference/glass/enamels note and have saved a few pages from here there along with links to the original pages.

I've always got the program open, and I use it many times a day.

Last edited by dusty; 2012-12-10 at 7:28pm.
Old 2012-12-10, 7:59pm
Loving learning

That sounds like I need to investigate it a little. My only problem is I would only be able to access it from here, I don't have a computer or internet in my shack. It would be nice to be able to do a search though.

For now, maybe I'll get at least a notebook of some kind and gather all the bits of paper floating around for when we have a cold day and I need something to do. I can at least copy them into one place. Just have to decide if I want sections, and what they would be, or just start at one place & keep going as ideas occur.
Old 2012-12-10, 8:00pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Mostly a pile of sketches and list of ideas. And lots of pictures.
Maybe we're related~
Old 2012-12-10, 8:18pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi Eileen
I'm terrible , I have one in my purse, one on my computer desk, one in the glove box of the car and one in my studio. I'm constantly drawing ideas, writing notes and I always date them just to see how long it takes me to do it or if I ever do it or what.......LOL
I always say I'm going to keep one by my bed cause during the night I wake up with ideas or get them right before nodding off but I end up getting up and drawing or writing them down in the living room so I dont' wake dh.

Old 2012-12-10, 8:23pm
Loving learning

I also need to look around & see if I can find my colored art markers. I have a feeling I gave them to my mom to use instead of watercolors when she was feeling down about how the watercolors were responding to her. I tried crayon sticks, but they are octagons or something and no pointy end, and they irritate me for small stuff.
Old 2012-12-10, 8:31pm
Fire Monkey

I just stick or pin or stuff the loose notes in one of my sketchbooks.
I don't like to be too organized when I work. Lol

Old 2012-12-10, 8:32pm
Fire Monkey

Colored pencils are great for sketches. The color can be varied more than markers and you can layer them.

Old 2012-12-10, 9:01pm
Loving learning

I used to have some, with the markers I think. I'll try to find them this weekend, thanks for the thoughts.
Old 2012-12-10, 11:26pm

I keep notebooks with ideas - usually printed off in Word or PDF Documents of pictures of beads, etc., that I would like to try. I just copy and paste pictures that give me ideas. When I take classes, I take lots of notes (some good, some bad) and then try to type them up in readable form and add the pictures of the bead or project I tried to make. (Tried is the operative word.) If the teacher has a bead and will allow me to take a picture, I do that to add to my class notes so I know what it was suppose to look like. LOL I use Paint to make any drawings I need to illustrate the instructions in class. But I am like everyone else and get behind on my notebooks. Or can't find the notebook I am looking for. Basically I let the computer be my organizer.
Old 2012-12-10, 11:59pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I keep a file on my computer desktop labeled "Bead Muse". I put any pics that inspire me inside. I've got over 200 now.

Old 2012-12-11, 12:06am
I like to melt things

I have a hidden, private blog where I stash my cane recipes and colour combination ideas.

I carry a notebook always, and I write, doodle, make lists and brainstorm in it every day, whenever the mood takes me. When the book is full, I rip all of the pages out that have something smart on them and throw away the rest. I have a growing stack of 'smart' things that are waiting for me to have a scrap booking moment.

-
-
Old 2012-12-11, 1:22pm
randomly active member

I bought a small spiral bound notebook from Target that goes with me everywhere so I can jot down ideas and combos whenever they strike. I also use it to keep track of my ever-growing wishlist of glass and other things I need the next time I place an order.
.:.

Old 2012-12-11, 2:16pm
Dix Harrison

For my notes, I use blank 3 x 5 index cards that come punched with two top holes.
(Found at Wally World.)
I call these my "ideas and tips" studio cards.
I carry a small stack of blanks with me at all times stored in a snack-size ziplock bag.
They fit great in an inside pocket of my purse.
I keep a small stack on the nightstand, too.
Some on my desk. Some by the computer. Some by the torch bench.
When I find a glass tip on the LE forum, it goes on an idea card.
When I'm torching and have an idea, it goes on a card.
For some reason, when I am driving I get a flow of ideas.
I"ll pull over in a parking lot, get out my cards and jot down notes.

Back in the studio, I have several small 2-ring card binders--but you could use a recipe box.
I think the binders were meant for holding recipes or school notecards?
( Blue plastic cover with tab dividers--got it at Wally World.)

When I get a stack of idea cards, I pop them into the little binder under categories of
things like "frit" "dot patterns" "stringer scrolls" "bead combinations" "color exploration"
I also made a blank template in MS Word that fits a 3 x 5 card.
Whenever I run across a free-tutorial that I want to keep, I insert (type) the info into the template and include photos, annealing temps, tools needed, etc. Then, I print the card and pop it into the section called "tutorials."

The thing I love most about the little 3 x 5 card format is that a stack can be kept on the bench without taking up much room. Or, I can take out only the idea cards I want to try and walk around the studio and gather all the supplies I need (on a cookie sheet) before I begin work. I am also reminded in advance if I need to make more black stringer or find my murrini cutters, etc.

I have separate binders for boro, 104, and 96. Each binder holds about 75-100 cards. I just started my second 104 binder. I go back and review ideas and tips everyday. With almost a four-year collection of cards, I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to those binders. It's my own little research library.

(P.S. I print each of the tutorials I have purchased, and then store them in 3-ring binders. To save paper, I print 2 pages per one side of a letter-sized sheet of paper--and print on both sides--helps a little on cost.)

Dix
Old 2012-12-11, 3:54pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Hi Eileen
I'm terrible , I have one in my purse, one on my computer desk, one in the glove box of the car and one in my studio. I'm constantly drawing ideas, writing notes and I always date them just to see how long it takes me to do it or if I ever do it or what.......LOL
I always say I'm going to keep one by my bed cause during the night I wake up with ideas or get them right before nodding off but I end up getting up and drawing or writing them down in the living room so I dont' wake dh.
Yep.... plus I have one by my bed.

The one in my purse gets used the most. if I see something in a store I take a cell phone pic and then make notes in the notebook.
Old 2012-12-11, 4:05pm

I use the Memo app on my smart phone, that way I don't have to dig through my purse to find something to write with. If I see something of inspiration, I use my camera and then email it to myself so I have a copy incase my smart phone decides to act on its own which is what it is doing now. I spent most of yesterday with tech support with the bottom line "hard reset" oh hell...

Kirsti
Old 2012-12-12, 3:48am

I use Sketch Book app on my iPad. Not sure if there's one for a phone. Lots you can do with this.

Old 2012-12-12, 4:18pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

There is an android version of SketchBook. I have it, but haven't really mastered it.

For ideas, I use Evernote on my phone; it syncs with my desktop so I can access the data from pretty much anywhere. Except work - online storage sites are blocked.

I also have a private blog where I can input larger bits of text when I get the inspiration and cannot access my Evernote. Like work. Lunchtime, of course.

--
--
--

Old 2012-12-12, 4:19pm
Happy Inner Dragon

OMG this thread makes me shudder at all the little scribbled-on scraps of paper stewn all through my workshop! I'd keep a list of things to do and try on a scrap at my desk, to add to as ideas came, then take it out with me to the next torching session.

While I was using the HH, I kept a notebook to keep a log of the gas time for the cylinders, but I don't have to do that anymore with the oxycon.
I really should get into the habit of re-entering those ideas in the little book as I go.

Thanks for the reminder
I really should

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2012-12-12 at 4:33pm.
Old 2012-12-12, 7:03pm
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
I have several sketchbooks, a regular lined notebook and lots of loose paper with notes and sketches. I just grab the nearest thing I see when I need it.
Ditto!

/
/
/

Old 2012-12-13, 12:11pm

I don't actually keep one because I have found that once I put an idea down on paper, I never do anything with it. It's like writing it is enough, it's been done.
But I am rethinking that because I've heard an artist I respect (and of course I can't remember who, isn't life fun ?) say that jotting down notes is a good way to clear your brain of the more obvious ideas and make room for more interesting thoughts and that definitely touched a chord.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-13, 12:20pm
randomly active member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
I don't actually keep one because I have found that once I put an idea down on paper, I never do anything with it. It's like writing it is enough, it's been done.
But I am rethinking that because I've heard an artist I respect (and of course I can't remember who, isn't life fun ?) say that jotting down notes is a good way to clear your brain of the more obvious ideas and make room for more interesting thoughts and that definitely touched a chord.
I totally get this. I have so many color "recipes" written down that I have never made because ... well I already have it on paper so it is as good as done and I don't need to actually execute it. Glad to hear I am not the only one who does this lol.

Old 2012-12-15, 5:36am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have a blank journal book that I sketch in, keep notes from classes etc etc.. I also date all my sketches. God forbid someone accuse me of copying, I can go back to my book and I have a date that I thought up the idea

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-12-15, 6:24am
all for the love of glass

I like the idea of an idea journal and plan on doing that, ..sometime in the near future in the meantime I do have a word doc file called notes to self that has lots of interesting stuff in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
... jotting down notes is a good way to clear your brain of the more obvious ideas and make room for more interesting thoughts and that definitely touched a chord.
I like that. I've also always thought that if you take the time to write it out and use whatever processes are required to do that, it never really leaves you and will show up in your work in one form or another...even if just the color scheme.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2012-12-15, 6:54am

As I am getting older and days between torching sessions grows, I tend to forget my favorite combinations. That being said, I need to start to write stuff down. I have a small notebook by my torch, but seem to forget to do anything. I guess I better make that a resolution.

Old 2012-12-15, 7:16am
Melody of Glass

I have a big sketch book that traverses all my hobbies/ideas. I have stained glass ideas in there earlier, some ideas for building a library in a room in a house I no longer live in, etc. It's now primarily flamework. I write to do lists (for example, all the gifts I'm currently making) and check them off when they are done. I write colour combos I think will be cool when they come out of the kiln and then strike them off if they are not...lol. And any ideas I want to track. I also have an "inspiration" file on my computer where I save pictures of beads or glass work I love to get me motivated to get back to the torch.

My purchased tutorials are all in a file as well as on ibooks on my ipad. I print many of them and put them in binders in the library.

If only I torched as much as I organize!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...