Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-07-17, 12:44pm
Sheryll

Ask Corri for another category: Tutorials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-17, 1:13pm
da General

I am with Sheryll that the MORE photos the BETTER! Having said that, it would be most helpful if the photographs do NOT have dark backgrounds. Doing all the photography on a light background will save us loads of inks/toner!

May I add the Silver Color How To Booklet on the stickered Tutorial thread if one is set up please?

For those who are thinking about doing a CD version . . . let me tell you that it's a PITA! Duplicating CDs, printing CD labels, adhering CD labels, printing authorization letter for the user to print one copy at a service bureau, putting everything in a case and bubble mailer, printing mailing labels and shipping it . . . not to mention having to fill our custom form and standing in line at the post office for international shipping! YIKES! But the hi-res version of the silver booklet, with 65 pages and 170+ images, is 50 MB so emailing that is out of the question.

Thank you for all your hard work on creating tutes . . . I think I bought all of them! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-17, 3:45pm
Karen James

Oh My! When I posted that I had planned to purchase some of these tutorials, load them onto my thumb drive and have them printed at my local Staples I had never considered that I would be infringing on copywrite issues.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of forethought to all of you who have worked so hard. My thought was to simply print a color laser copy for myself. I had not even considered going as far as having it bound.

I hope that I have not stepped on toes.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-07-17, 4:04pm
da General

Karen - I don't think anyone who created the tutorials have any problem on your printing a hard copy out at a local service bureau. The CD label on the Silver Color Booklet has a disclaimer "This is for your use only and is not to be copied or redistributed.© enVision 2008" . . . thus requiring that I enclose an authorization for the owner to print a hard copy just in case!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-17, 4:28pm

FYI, I purchased Hayley's outstanding Silver Color Booklets and printed them on double sided paper on my little Canon IP2000. I didn't even use up the fairly new existing ink cartridges, and they came out fabulous. It didn't take that long to print, although since I was doing double sided I did sit here and make sure it continued to print properly. Then I took them over to Kinko's where I got them bound with covers.

All double sided inkjet paper is not equal - I found a great source for it; pm me if you'd like the link.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-07-17, 7:22pm
Mary Lockwood

Karen, I personally don't have a problem with you taking any of my tutorials to have them printed for yourself.

I see no difference between that and printing it out yourself.

If Staples gives you a hassle about the copyright symbols on these tutorials though, you might have a problem with them.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-17, 7:40pm
Karen James

I thank you both for letting me know how you feel about this. I would certainly understand if you felt otherwise though.

I finally have a clear day at home tomorrow. I am so looking forward to purchasing my tutorials!!! I won't be trying anything out until next week because we have temps in the 90's for the next couple of day and the hubby and I are celebrating our anniversary, but I will still be able to pour over all of the beady info! Yummy!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-07-17, 7:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think the printing at Staples idea is a great one!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-07-17, 8:05pm

I also agree that it would be wonderful to have all tutorials in one place for purchase...and for LE to get the benefit of offering them to their artists. So, how many tutorials are available now? I've purchased Sherry's and I just saw the one for pansy's and the one for jellyfish. But, who are the others if I might ask?

Kat
Purr-sonalities Glass Art
Old 2008-07-17, 8:37pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I emailed admin to ask about a category in the classifieds...

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-18, 12:03am

I love all the tutorials that came to us last month. I know how much work there is done to get it so far to be published. But there a a few things that can be overlooked.

As a web designer, I am trained to look closely to the layout of a page. It must be easy to read from a screen and there shouldn't be anything to distract your eyes from the essentials you want to bring over to your readers.

So try to keep the same letter type, use the same font size, align everything the same way, make pictures the same measurement, at least on the same page, etc.

For printing a tutorial needs different qualifications. If you don't need a colored background, just leave the background white and if you want to emphasize a bit of text, a small border around the text can be sufficient to give it more attention.

As a user of tutorials I miss one thing.
I love to have a picture oversight nearby when I want to try a tutorial. Now, I cut out the pictures of the steps of the tutorial without any text, put them in f.e. in a word document and print them, so I can look at them when I am at the torch. It is not easy to torch and flip pages or scroll on a pdf page on your computer while torching.

So maybe it is an idea if you make a tutorial to have an overview of only pictures at the end. Sure save me a lot of time.

|
Old 2008-07-18, 4:27am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

thanks Miriam, awesome idea!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-18, 4:30am
Goddess

As far as I know, there are 4 tutorials available at the moment, But I'm sure this number will increase very soon.

Goddess Tutorial - By LavenderCreek (me)
Chaos Tutorial - By Sherry Bellamy
Pansy Tutorial - By Everafter (Laurie)
Seascapes Tutorial - By Mary Lockwood (Moth)

Old 2008-07-18, 6:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
thanks Miriam, awesome idea!
My pleasure Laurie, I am getting experienced in giving tips for tutorials.

|
Old 2008-07-18, 7:41am
Mary Lockwood

There are way too many pictures in my tutorial to get them all one one page anyway, however I made absolutely certain when I laid mine out that each step only covers one page. You can get all the way through a cane on one page, all the way through doing a certain step of applying something to the bead on one page.

I too dislike having to turn pages while I'm working and this was really important to me.

~~Mary

Plus, having the pictures in the file twice would essentially double the file size. Mine would jump from 2MB to almost 4MB in a single leap.

Old 2008-07-18, 7:44am
Mary Lockwood

Ya know how cafepress and several other online printers offer poster printing. I thought it would be really cool to reformat my tutorial to have it print well onto a medium sized poster. That way, you could tack up the poster next to your work area and not have to have any papers lying around on your workbench.

The only problem with that, is that the tutorial costs $18, having the poster printed cost $16 and I didn't think anyone would be willing to pay that. I wouldn't. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-18, 7:48am
da General

May I add my silver booklet to the list please?

Tutorials:
Goddess Tutorial - By LavenderCreek (Teresa)

Compilation of Silver Glass How to:
Second Silver Color Booklet – compiled by Hayley

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-18, 7:49am

I only take the pictures in the resume that I think are really necessary and I print about 8 to 12 photo's on one page and I fit most of them on 2 pages.

Maybe you could ask someone to go over your tutorial before you release it and let them pick the pictures to put in the resumé. If you have been working on a tutorial for a long time, you get a little bit blind on some parts.

|
Old 2008-07-18, 7:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The only problem with that, is that the tutorial costs $18, having the poster printed cost $16 and I didn't think anyone would be willing to pay that. I wouldn't. LOL

~~Mary
If you make a high resolution pdf, anyone who purchases it can do the printing themselves or have a printing shop do it.

|
Old 2008-07-18, 12:07pm
Mary Lockwood

Yes, but they are still paying for the printing.

As far as printable tutorials for myself go, I would probably only take the pages to the torch that showed pictures of the things I didn't already know how to do...but that's just me.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2008-07-18 at 12:26pm.
Old 2008-07-18, 6:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Heat View Post
I've bought 4 tutorials and copied them to one cd and one dvd so I don't lose them if my computer fails. I haven't printed them because I have a lousy printer!

Hi, I bought 2 tutorials and didn't even think about what would happen if my computer crashed. Duh! But now that I am going to save them to a CD Adobe Reader won't let me? How do I save it to disk? Do I have to do it from another program?

One more question: The first tutorial I printed did not come out well, even though I think I have a pretty good printer. I don't use brand name, high quality ink though. I don't have a thumb-drive, so can some place like Kinko's print from a CD?

Thanks for any assistance,
Angela

Old 2008-07-18, 7:30pm

Staples and Kinko's can print from a cd. I go to Staples the day before I teach chainmaille classes. It's worth while checking out their prices first.

To save to a cd or where every you'd like. Open the document/pdf. Look under File , select Save As, select Save a Copy,window opens and then there is a drop down menu, and select where you want to save the document.

Last edited by Ellen Black; 2008-07-18 at 7:37pm.
Old 2008-07-18, 10:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Black View Post
Staples and Kinko's can print from a cd. I go to Staples the day before I teach chainmaille classes. It's worth while checking out their prices first.

To save to a cd or where every you'd like. Open the document/pdf. Look under File , select Save As, select Save a Copy,window opens and then there is a drop down menu, and select where you want to save the document.
Hi Ellen, Thanks for the info. It still wouldn't let me do it.....A little later, Ok, I've learned some things.

I have a Dell with Sonic DLA recorder, yuck! One "feature" requires making disks compatible in order to read on other computers, like Kinko's pehaps, or if mine bites the dust? (Only for personal use of course. I want to stress that I get that).

Well when I did that, it crashed my computer and got all those terrifying warning signs, like: Windows had to shut down, Warning! Back up your files, If you can't reboot, try safe mode, and "STOP!!! Beginning dump of physical memory- completed" Geeze, why DO they word it like that???

Obviously I am back on-line, though copyless.

I did however learn to make a decent print-out, by print one page, change one setting, print another, change one, and onward. I plan to take it to bed to read and will probably fall asleep by page 2 since it is now 4 hours later.

The tutorial DOES look fun. I think I'm going to learn a lot. I actually enjoy pulling canes and could see right off some things I was doing wrong. I'm pretty excited. I feel like I will finally get some training I have been sorely wanting/needing!

Mary, I really appreciate your making some revisions for printers. It's hard to find that happy balance of book quaility and home printers. And having a Low resolution is a really nice option! I wasn't sure which one to choose. It would be cool to see a page of each side by side.

I am grateful to the original poster (I can't remember your name right now) for voicing the same concerns I had. If it wasn't for you, and the feedback from everyone, I probably would not have bought another tutorial for some time.

Yup, I'm wired, tired, babbling, and Happy! Sorry so long winded but I feel a sense of accomplishment and I haven't even melted any glass yet.
Night all!
Angela

Old 2008-07-21, 8:28am
ID10T Problem Solver

I would love to see teachers create a "text book" that we can purchase and bring to the classes with us to make notes on.

It could be optional for those already strapped for just the class or even included in the class price. I find that it takes attention away from the instructors demos when I am trying to write a lot of stuff down.

I would prefer to just make notes on my "text book" as they are demo-ing.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-21, 10:27am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ya know how cafepress and several other online printers offer poster printing. I thought it would be really cool to reformat my tutorial to have it print well onto a medium sized poster. That way, you could tack up the poster next to your work area and not have to have any papers lying around on your workbench.

~~Mary
You could always make that an option though. Some people are willing to pay for the convenience. It won't cost you anything and it could possibly be another marketing source. I love the idea!

Jenny

Old 2008-07-23, 12:54pm
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek View Post
As far as I know, there are 4 tutorials available at the moment, But I'm sure this number will increase very soon.

Goddess Tutorial - By LavenderCreek (me)
Tee hee! Yup! Ok so while I'm writing this up, why do I want to put them in PDF format? Does this protect it somehow?

Old 2008-07-23, 1:24pm
Sheryll

PDF protects your document in that no one else can tamper with it - i.e. if you sent it out in word, I could go in there and actually change what you wrote. If it's in PDF, someone would need the Pro edition (which most people don't have) to be able to add/subtract to it. Plus PDFs also compress the file so it's not so large esp w/ all the pics you're gonna put into it.

Old 2008-07-23, 1:55pm
Detail G-Mama!

Well I thought that was it but I just wanted to make sure! I'm such a techtard (someone said that on here and it cracked me up!) when it comes to these things!

Old 2008-07-24, 7:15am
Mary Lockwood

While it is certainly true that pdf protects the integrity of the information in the file, the main reason I did it was to keep the format correct when printing.

If I sent the file out in word...not everyone's version of word is the same and all it would take is a couple extra spaces or line breaks to totally throw off the whole format and layout of the file.

PDF keeps everything the same for everybody and ensures correct printing and layout.

It is always the same.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-25, 3:46pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

The pdf format is more universal, so I can read it more easily on my Mac. While I have Word, it is a pain to bring it up.

--
--
--