LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-04-17, 7:05am

Default How much natural gas pressure do I need?

I moved to AZ last year and have natural gas in my house, in fact there is a gas wall heater in the room closest to the garage where I want to set up my torch. I'd like to use natural gas, but need to know how much pressure I need to run a torch. Right now I have a Cricket, but I also have another larger torch that I can't run because I bought a Oxygenator too small. If I can get the gas installed into the garage, then I can buy the larger Oxygenator to run it.

What other things do I need to ask to be installed? I've read about double shut-offs and firecheck.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2012-04-17, 7:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Typically most NG supplies is about 13 IW( Inches water) which is about 1/3 psi... Most small torches like a minor and a cricket and many others will operate on that pressure. Torches requiring more pressure can be run by getting a NG Pressure Booster (about $1000) or seeing if utility company can boost pressure at "residential" regulator out side your house (may also require modifications to your existing low pressure (1/3 IW) appliances though) or creating a second high pressure (2 psi ) connection at your residence. Again more $$$ and utility co. may not allow this type of service.

Do the research by asking your utility company if its possible to add a 2psi service and if they say yes, then its just a matter of making plans and throwing dollars into project. IF no then you can consider a NG booster (still throwing (big) dollars into project). It this is to expensive you can learn to live with low pressure and small torch. Other option is to abandon NG supply concept and remain with tanked fuel. (which can also be "piped" in).

http://www.safe-t-gas.com/glasslampworking.html

Typical installation would be extending gas supply (pipe) from existing source, and ending pipe run with "gas" certified shut off valve and a firestop device. Then short natural gas rated (T type) hose from gas connection to torch. Probably would need a building permit and a inspection to see if "install" meets local building codes. You need this for safety and insurance purposes. IF there is ever a problem (explosion/fire) and insurance company traces it to illegal gas connection your insurance will be canceled and you are left liable for any damages and repairs to your structure or any neighbors structure that were damaged in incident.

Couple of images on how others have made the "connection"

(with fire check)

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-04-17 at 7:50am.
Old 2012-04-19, 1:41pm
Alaska Boro

The Cricket and Scorpion both run fine on NG. Presently use a Scorpion on NG at .4 PSI with a pair of 5 LPM concentrators at 10 PSI.

The only issue is that determining flame characteristics can be a challenge.