Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: How do you put a loop or bail on
Peters tweezers 16 27.12%
Grab and pull 22 37.29%
Goal posts 0 0%
Other 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-06-04, 7:28am
Certified Glass Melter

Default Loops/ Bails

How do you put a loop or bail on your pendants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dragon Hills Glass Studio
Old 2015-06-04, 8:12am
I fart diamonds

What's "Grab and Pull"? (I use several methods, btw. Depends on the pendant and my mood.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-06-04, 9:08am
Retired to the flame

It depends on the piece. If the loop is functional, or the piece is complex hollow that will crack fast, I go with a hot bit and Peters type tool. It gets a loop fast so I can get the piece into the kiln quick.

if the loop is decorative as well as functional, and a solid, then I take the time to pull glass off the piece and form a graceful loop.

It is time issue for me. The longer the piece can stay out of the kiln without the risk of a crack, the longer I can work on the loop. Solids like pendants have lots of grace time. More complex solids and hollows are difficult to reheat with out the risk of cracking due to varying thickness in the piece. I don't want to spend a lot of time forming a great piece and then have it crack because I took too long messing with the loop.

If it is meant to hang and the loop in not part of the design, then go fast and simple. If the loop is part of the "line" the eye will see, then make it pleasing to the eye.

Like Shawnette I use several methods to make loops. No one style fits all pieces.
Old 2015-06-04, 12:46pm

Mostly I use Handy Andys, but do use different ways as well. The only one I can't stand to do is the goal posts.

Old 2015-06-04, 1:51pm

I use bail biters - they look like long nose pliers bent inwards and then a tungsten pick to open up the hole.
Old 2015-06-04, 3:32pm
Flamewoman

Default bails

This is what my bails look like. I use jet black, and put a dob in two places where I want my bail to attach, one is longer than the other, then I join them and use a reamer to even them up. Also you must be sure to pull a little on each attachment to align the glass molecules and insure that is isn't just stuck on and will break off easily. If you pull on the attachments the glass becomes one piece. It takes practice, I have been doing my bails this way for years, they are very sturdy. I have tried other ways, but this way looks great, my customers prefer them, and they don't break off.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-06-04, 4:24pm

The way I started doing them is start with a marble like gather, smash it flat and roll it up into a tube.
Old 2015-06-04, 7:27pm
Borovangelist

It depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Occasionally I use the bail biters to make one, but that's not really my favorite.

I've done a grab and pull, but the problem with that is that you run the risk of a thin spot near the end of the taper. It can look nice though and there's a time and a place for it. Light hollow pendants, for example, lend themselves well to it.

Normally I'll hotweld a thin-ish rod, burn it off 1/2" or so from the pendant, then use tweezers and a fluffy flame to heat and bend it over and tack it close to the pendant back, shape and smooth with the flame and reamer, then use a sharp flame to make sure the end of the loop is well melted into the back of the pendant, then I give it a smooth with a flat edge. Honestly, it's faster for me than the bail biters

|
|
Old 2015-06-05, 4:16am
He can do the origami

Generally I use Handy Andys, very quick and reliable. However I use other methods depending on the piece but I would say for every thousand pendants I use Handy Andys 950 times and various other methods 50 times.
Old 2015-06-06, 9:05pm
Corgi Cult Member

By voting Peter's Tweezers, I really mean Handy Andy's followed up with being reamed by a tungsten pick.

Mary K, I like the look of yours better than the ones I make. Think I'll try your method the next time I'm working boro.

Old 2015-07-03, 11:29am

Anyone do Shepherd Hook bails? If so, how do you keep the pendant from rolling around with this type of bail? Do you flatten it a little?
Old 2015-07-18, 11:37pm
He can do the origami

I rarely do a bail this way but if I do, I make it rather wide. I am not sure if it helps keep the pendant from rolling butbmine don't roll.

Otter
Old 2015-08-09, 3:08pm

If it's for solid pendants and things like that, what i've been doing lately is creating a gather where I want my loop to be, melting it in nicely to pendant. Then using my jacks i pull slightly for the seal and flatten the whole gather, reheat, and bend the top to touch the bottom. Then using jacks flare out the hole and shape the bail. Makes really nice, quality bails this way.
Old 2015-08-23, 7:45am

On pendants---I am leaning toward goal posts that I join and work with graphite reamer into a hoop. So I make a 1/4 inch long post on the distal side of what becomes the hoop- then a 1/2 inch long post on the front side--- pull the rod to size the diameter-- then join the posts and work the reamer to shape the hoop. I have tried pre-constructing hoops--- and also just pulling bails freestyle- sometimes I get good result, but sometimes a mess. I am always trying to find ways of getting repeatable consistent results--- to have better control of my end product.
Old 2015-09-15, 7:51am
ManBearPig

I put a ball of color on for the loop. Heat it and pierce it with a tungsten pick. Then use a graphite reamer to shape it.

Old 2015-09-16, 10:01am

Right on Cosmo!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2018-03-01, 8:42am
Dazed and Confused

I've never been good at 'hand-made' loops - no matter how hard I try they tend to end up being misshapen or crooked.
So, seeing as I have a gazillion mandrels - of varying thicknesses - from bead making, I do the spacer bead on a mandrel method, which works well for me.

I tend to make mine from scratch while I'm working, rather than make them beforehand and garage them. Spacer beads only take about a minute to make and I can go with the colors of the piece, and can decide on the size on the fly - rather than having to plan it all beforehand.
Old 2018-03-18, 11:48am

I make my bails by putting a small gather on the top, condensing it down a tad, then flipping it over and letting gravity do the majority of the work.....then I tag the end to the backside....straighten up, and heat til it all flows.....and done.
Old 2018-09-23, 9:42pm

Thank you for posting pics.. I’m a newbie and can’t wait til I get good enough to try❤️
Old 2018-09-26, 1:07pm
ManBearPig

Here's a video of how I do it:
https://vimeo.com/158129624