No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-07, 3:17pm
love me love my llamas

Default Has any heard of or used Devardi glass

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Devardi Glass and has used it. Its much cheaper then other glass and they say that its just a good. Here is the link www.devardiglass.com. They said on their information page that the glass takes a little to get use to, I am wondering if it will work with a hothead also?
Thanks,
Maggie
Old 2009-06-07, 3:20pm

There is a whole thread about Devardi glass somewhere - not happy reading. Try doing a search (I'll see if I can find it - it might have been flushed).

This is one of those subjects where you need kid gloves ...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=Devardi

and

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SadiesJewels; 2009-06-07 at 3:22pm.
Old 2009-06-07, 3:46pm
I fart diamonds

I was gifted some a while ago and I just ordered and received some last week. The pinks are awesome and I can't wait to try out the butterscotch. If I weren't so broke, I'd be ordering some of the Olive.

Old 2009-06-07, 4:09pm
product of the universe

Here is some devardi
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-06-07, 4:14pm

I ordered some this time around...I haven't made it out to the studio with it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

If several of these colors work up as good as they look, I'm going to be overjoyed. The pinks are lovely, the transparent olive I got has two tones in my pound (one more brown, one more green, my 16 year old daughter and I each consider a different one to be true olive), the transparent Marine blue that looks like a medium teal, transparent ink blue that looks like the tone of glassdaddy purple lauscha, and trans ocean blue that looks like dark aqua.

The rods aren't super pretty. They are oddly shaped and length. Some are scratched.

I think it's worth it for the price, and I just hope these colors work up as nice as they are in the rods.
Old 2009-06-07, 4:21pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
Here is some devardi
Nice!! What color is the foot of the goblet in the 1st pic?

Old 2009-06-07, 4:51pm

Wow Chris. You don't fool around do you? Those are wonderful. This glass is a bit more shocky and the rods aren't perfect, but the colors are really nice. My favorite is the Burgundy trans.

Old 2009-06-07, 5:00pm
BeadsonCypress

I have had had lots of shocky results, but I tend to work HOT and this glass does not like HOT. If I remember correctly, a hot head is not as hot as a Carlisle Mini CC so I think you would be fine with it. I LOVE their color choices and I have mixed other 104 glasses with it without any issues. I would advise, however, that you do not use the crock pot method, but put you beads right into your kiln, or based on my experience with large beads, be prepared for some thermal cracks. The transparents are just as smooth as any 104 I have used, and the depth of color is great! Super shipping too!! They packed my last order in PCV tubes that were perfect for my glass storage cabinet!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-06-07, 5:01pm
BeadsonCypress

shawnette, you're gonna love the butterscotch!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-06-07, 5:05pm
love me love my llamas

I don't have a kiln with a bead door, I use fiber blankets to cool my beads, sounds like this glass isn't for me until I get a kiln.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:14pm
product of the universe

Quote:
What color is the foot of the goblet in the 1st pic?
I think its trans burgundy, I'm not sure though it was a fat dark rod in a 10lb sampler i bought.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:15pm

How big do you work? Some folks have great success with batch annealing. I did, for many years. Others don't, and move on to a kiln quickly.

I used to encase with lauscha and batch anneal with more than 90% survival rate, on beads larger than 1.5 inches in diameter. Many people will say you can't do that. I did.

I can't comment on devardi and batch annealing, but I don't think any glass manufacturer recommends batching. If you want to try it, do so.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:26pm
And silence is golden

My order just arrived. Great colors! I'm thinking that the rods would work much easier if they were pre-heated. I'll have to post my results in a few days.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:50pm
moth to the flame

Mine arrived a few days back and so far, I have only been able to melt the Trans Cranberry and the Rose. Very pretty! I did have to be sure and work them cool, but I too tend to work hot anyway. I have a few other colors I want to try out when I get the chance.

AFA annealing goes, I batch anneal and have had no problems. The beads I posted pics of in one of the other threads are still fine. I don't use vermiculite though, I never have trusted it. I use blanket, doubled and wrapped in a towel for added insulation.

Hopefully this can be a positive thread for those of us who choose to try it out.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:59pm
love me love my llamas

1st let me say beautiful work Chayes! Envious of your talent. I am a potter by trade and I am talented in that, but bead making doesn't come easy and I am dyslexic to boot.
I apologize for not searching for the other post, after reading some of it, well lets say I hope this post doesn't go down that road. Now I have to decide what to do. I have a list out for one of the suppliers listed on this site, but now wondering if maybe I should try this glass. Maybe I should compare how much I would save and maybe be able to purchase more. Has anyone purchased the silver cores?
Old 2009-06-07, 8:45pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I've ordered some Devardi colors twice. The more recent shipment came last week. I really wanted to like this glass, but even as inexpensive as it is, it's too much of a pain in the neck for me to use.

It is very shocky. Insanely so. It doesn't seem to matter what the rod size is, skinny or fat--glass will go flying if you don't preheat. I can preheat rods by tucking them into my kiln under the bead door, but that takes too much time and planning.

Some of transparents I have tried are bubbly, but quite honestly I like that look. It reminds me of handblown Mexican glass.

It has to be worked in a cool flame to avoid devitrification. Given how huge the rods can be, they're of no use in making small beads. After feeding glass onto a mandrel from a really fat rod yesterday, said rod started to crackle as it cooled.

I like to make huge beads, but since the flame has to be so low, a good-sized bead takes forever to form.

If you are a good enough planner so that you can preheat the rods and can spend a lot of time forming beads, Devardi can't be beat for the price and the variety of colors. However, I won't be buying any more.

Old 2009-06-07, 9:06pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I work with this glass a lot. These beads are approx. 12mm in diameter. The only thing you need to do is work it cooler than other glasses. I have never pre-heated my rods... just work it a little bit further out from the flame at first. The thread above will show numerous beads made with Devardi.

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2009-06-07 at 9:09pm.
Old 2009-06-07, 10:52pm
Ad astra per aspera

I like this glass very much. I ordered several colors when it was first mentioned here, and just received my second order 2 weeks ago. Some of the colors are most definitely tricky and need to be heated slowly (the opaque and translucent pinks come to mind). I'm crazy about the transparent citrine! The ocean blue and ocean green are great, too.

They're supposed to receive something like 80 more colors in about a month. I can't wait to see what's next.

Old 2009-06-07, 10:57pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I like this glass very much. I ordered several colors when it was first mentioned here, and just received my second order 2 weeks ago. Some of the colors are most definitely tricky and need to be heated slowly (the opaque and translucent pinks come to mind). I'm crazy about the transparent citrine! The ocean blue and ocean green are great, too.

They're supposed to receive something like 80 more colors in about a month. I can't wait to see what's next.
Somehow I had missed your post in the other thread and saw it tonight. I really want some of that trans yellow! And the red too! Thanks for posting that pic of all those colors! Now you are making me want the citrine too. lol Is it bright too or deeper in color?

Old 2009-06-08, 5:51am

Did anyone mention the Semi-Opals? Beautiful, and different than anything out there.
All of this glass is Hand-pulled, so expect some variation in rod size. I use a rod warmer and found that most colors are not shocky.
I especially like the working properties of the glass. It is a little stiffer than Moretti. Stringer work is much more controllable.
Jim
Old 2009-06-08, 6:19am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsllamas View Post
1st let me say beautiful work Chayes! Envious of your talent. I am a potter by trade and I am talented in that, but bead making doesn't come easy and I am dyslexic to boot.
I apologize for not searching for the other post, after reading some of it, well lets say I hope this post doesn't go down that road. Now I have to decide what to do. I have a list out for one of the suppliers listed on this site, but now wondering if maybe I should try this glass. Maybe I should compare how much I would save and maybe be able to purchase more. Has anyone purchased the silver cores?
It's $1.99 per 1/4lb. At that price, I would say yeah, you should try it. If you don't like it, at least you haven't spent goo-gobs of cash. As far as rod size goes, that really doesn't determine the size of your beads. I've made tiny little beads with 12mm rods and I use full size rods for dots and stringer. (I never plan anything ahead, so I rarely have stringer ready.)

Old 2009-06-08, 9:19am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
Somehow I had missed your post in the other thread and saw it tonight. I really want some of that trans yellow! And the red too! Thanks for posting that pic of all those colors! Now you are making me want the citrine too. lol Is it bright too or deeper in color?
It's a really rich yellow. I hate to say it but DH said it looked like a healthy urine sample. ROFL, he's actually right (we've both done lab work, so we talk that way, sorry!). It's not one of the "electric" yellows like Moretti, and it's not striking, it just is what it is. I haven't had a problem with devit with it, either. (Some of the transparents are a bit twitchy, like the forest green.)

Jim, you're right...I'm not great at stringer work, but this glass makes it much easier to control.

It definitely has its quirks. The rods that are kind of concave on one side can be interesting when making a base bead. I'm used to rotating the rod as I melt it, but with these I've learned to rock them back & forth to avoid trapping air.

Old 2009-06-12, 11:07am

My pinks came today!!! I haven't melted any yet, & I only ordered 1/4# (low on cash) on the colors I ordered ( ), but ohhh, they're sooo pretty! And, I have to say, the glass looks BETTER this time, the packing for shipping was much better, the small issues there were resolved,--just slightly shorter rods (they said in advance they would be), but *cleaner* feeling/looking, and the colors are *VERY* nice. I picked a few different shades from my first order--the sea-green (I forget the "real" color name--I'm an idjit & too lazy to go look!) but it's GORGEOUS in the rod, the butterscotch color that everyone was raving about last time, the transparent olive that really doesn't exist in any other brand, & the pinks....

I don't mind shocky (heck, opal yellow & copper green are pretty much always shocky ) & for the price, this glass will let me make plenty of beads I can pop into my "pick-a-bead for a flat price box" in really great colors! ('cause I sure as heck can't use a full rod of rubino & then feel good about throwing that bead in a $7 bin!)
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-12, 12:40pm
moth to the flame

Thanks Karen....well, your DH does have a way with words..I definitely got a visual on that color!

I too got a pink concave rod and really liked using it to wind on, for me it was no problemmo.

I got the trans Olive too Luna, great color...along with the semi op marine (I think it is) and butterscotch...they all look great although I haven't got to melt them yet. Hopefully this weekend!

Please show pics if anyone gets to make some beads!

Old 2009-06-12, 1:18pm

am I the only one with two tones in the olive? I still haven't made it to the studio to see how they work up...
Old 2009-06-12, 1:36pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
am I the only one with two tones in the olive? I still haven't made it to the studio to see how they work up...
I didn't check that close, I'll try and remember to look though.
Are some rods lighter then others?

Old 2009-06-12, 1:56pm

some are more brown, some are more green. When I was sorting the rods, I thought I had two colors, but they're both in the olive spectrum.
Old 2009-06-12, 2:38pm
Does that shed?

Well I caved. At that price why not give it a try eh?

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-06-12, 3:07pm
Beadaholique

I got my order earlier this week and the colours are great.
I work on a hothead and have only had a problem with the butterscotch shocking on me. I flash ALL my rods through the hot part of the flame to preheat, a little anal in that respect after getting a rather impressive boob burn a few years ago! Caution! poor boobies! No probs with devit either, or scumming to think of it.

The pinks are awesome and the orange and red are nice too, I haven't trid the trans Olive yet but got some colour called semi opaque baby blue which looks a little like CIM peacock.

I still haven't gotten through all the colours with test beads yet! I got 12lb, and HEAPS of citrine - they must have put extra in.

The rods are uneven as all heck but who cant work around that? If nothing else - you'll have plenty of glass to make spacers with!

Perth, Western Australia

Old 2009-06-12, 3:23pm
I fart diamonds

I didn't order any trans olive and the sample that I got is opaque. I haven't played with it yet because I only got a 6" piece, so I'm saving it, lol.