Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-11-15, 7:05pm
product of the universe

Default Any one interested in veiled boro cane?

I've been pondering how to make veiled boro cane for awhile and think i have it figured out.The final product would be a clear core then a layer of color then another layer of clear another layer of color and then another clear. I would be making it in pretty big batches and was wondering if there is a need for such a product. If its something that people would like me to make i could do a batch and arrange for some of you test it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-15, 7:42pm

Since I'm no expert I'd love just one short rod. Just for the thrill of it.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-11-15, 7:46pm
Hummel factory reject

Could be very cool!

Old 2008-11-15, 7:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That sounds very interesting indeed!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-15, 8:36pm
ManBearPig

If it's made as nicely as the striped tube samples you sent me, I'd love to have some...

Old 2008-11-16, 12:46am

Thumbs up Boro Veiled

Hi
I am just started experimenting with boro. I love the veiled cane in 104 coe, so I would be interested in trying this. What colors were you thinking of?
Thanks
Penny
Old 2008-11-16, 5:35am
crabby...who me?

Sounds like a good idea.I tried something like that once on a very small scale,forgot about it and never finished.Count me in.
Old 2008-11-16, 8:54am
funny mofo

I hate to ask dumb questions, but how does one use veiled cane? Are the colored layers transparent? Are they striking colors? It sounds really interesting.
Old 2008-11-16, 10:00am
Pyromaniac

I would be very interested too. Let us know if you need testers!

I found this online tut as well, AuntD and it is for 96 but you can see how it could be used in boro:

Working veiled cane

I have some expensive hand pulled coe 96 zanfirico laying around and have been too afraid to use it. I would definitely go for the boro version.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-11-16, 10:01am

Sounds like a good idea. I am very new to boro bout would love to experiment with a rod.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-11-16, 10:19am
funny mofo

Thanks, Lana! Great tutorial!

Old 2008-11-16, 10:24am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'd totally be interested.
I'm a 104 veiled cane whore - there's nothing like it on the 33 side.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-11-16, 11:34am
product of the universe

What kind of colors do you guys think would look good together? Straight up colors like amber purple veiled cane or trans yellow over elvis - Colbalt over white- luster over sparkle? Let me know what you'd like to see.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-16, 2:22pm
Satake Woman!

I love the veiled gaffer cane, and I bet I'd love your boro cane as well! I'd be delighted to play with it. I'd like to see some solid/sparkle, as well as things like amber purple over white, or cobalt over white... generally white makes a nice core color.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-11-16, 2:24pm
Flame Dame

I'd be very interested and would love to be a tester. I'm a pink person, so anything with pinks would be great. Also, greens, blues and maybe some browns would be beautiful.

Thanks for offering to do this. I think it'll be really interesting to see some of this.

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-11-16, 2:40pm
Pyromaniac

I'd like to see a blue and green analogous combo, some with silver colors, and at least one with sparkle in it.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-11-16, 3:48pm

Nice idea, Chris!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-11-16, 4:39pm
Hummel factory reject

An amber purple with a sparkle layer would be lovely. Yellow veiled red. A center dichroic layer would be super sweet.

Old 2008-11-16, 5:32pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's my suggestions:

Blues and Greens (with a touch of sparkle for good measure)

Yellows and reds

Pinks and whites

Blues and purples

Browns, ochers and greens

Limes and lights purples

Black, gray and white

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-11-16, 5:56pm

ooh this sounds like fun!

Old 2008-11-16, 5:59pm
Wyoming Silvers

sounds like fun! I would love to play with it! Jill
Old 2008-11-16, 6:04pm
Dangerous Woman

Sparkle! Sparkle! Sparkle!

Sparkle and DAP

Pinks

Oranges

Pinks and oranges

And any color with sparkles.

Can ya tell I like sparkle?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-16, 8:48pm
Master Procrastinator

OMG! So many great suggestions! I'd love to try it out in boro too. I just got some Gaffer veiled cane that I'm dying to play with too. But boro.......WOW! Doesn't get much better, now does it??

Old 2008-11-16, 9:09pm
Boro Brat

I'd be interested in trying some out. I wonder what purple thunder would look like in a veiled cane...with silver colors, would there be opportunity to trap a little bit of haze in there during the process of creating it? I imagine that would be really pretty.

Old 2008-11-17, 6:39am
boro color bender

I've made them on a small scale. Some sparkle colors like Loch Ness and the Obtaniums look great with the more saturated silver colors. I rolled a larger clear rod in some sparkle frit, encased in DAP and then in clear again... looks lovely. You can stripe encase the DAP or pick up large frit several times... Might look cool to use all frit, accept for the first bit of large clear rod.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-11-17, 6:43am
boro color bender

Hey Chris, I have a huge Woodland. It's got a 6" bore and a 9' bed... I got it to do milli pulls and never did. If you think this would be of interest, I might part ways with it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-11-17, 10:21am
product of the universe

Yeah i'd be interested in that lathe.Pm me with details.

I made some up last night it is amazon jewel with an outer layer of purple luster. I'd like to add that there is no flame atmosphere when i do this so the colors are in there purest form.I did the initial test run with the glass alchemy oc purple luster because of lack of firsts, so i don't feel what i made is first quality. But at least now i know it can be done and saw new ways to improve the process. I'll get some pics up later to show what i came up with.

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-17, 11:11am
Spoiled

Oh, I can't wait to see this. I always wanted to try the soft glass veiled canes but never got around to it before the boro bug got ahold of me.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-11-17, 11:39am
product of the universe

Here is the best pics i could get. The top beads are unnencased and the bottom left and right are encased the center is just wrapped around the mandrel and encased all flame struck and put in vermiculite. I like the way it looks over black better than the white. I probably could have spent a little more time striking em though.
Attached Images

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-17, 11:47am
product of the universe

This is a bad pic but it shows the striking of the purple luster. That rod is about 20mm its been cut on a wet saw so the front looks matted..
Attached Images

Currently using fire.