Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-27, 11:06am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Making your own glass impression tools

Has anyone tried this? I was bored the other day so I drove down to Michaels and wandered the store to see if I could find anything that could be translated to a glass tool.

Well well well, I wandered almost the whole store and was not impressed until I found these. Many lampworkers are enjoying leaving impressed designs in their beads lately. I would like to as well but the stamps are a little pricey for me these days.

I am keeping the pics large so you can see well. I broke the paper cutter apart with a good size pair of pliers. I tried using it without a handle. Umm, that sucker gets hot fast! So I wandered around the house looking for a solution. I stole one of my zoozii brass press handles and hot glued it to the piece. Not the best solution if you are going to be pressing multiple times with a bead as the hot glue eventually warms up and the tool starts to slip and slide. But it worked very well for just a couple of quick presses . The paddle is just a quick test to show the results. The glass has to be quite hot and you need to use a lot of pressure to get the design to show up properly.

I thought I would share to see if anyone else has had luck with these and may have a better idea on how to use them.

The paper punch only cost about $3.50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-27, 11:11am
I'm meeeeelting

You can get inexpensive punches from Tandy Leather. Some work better than others. The ones that aren't overly detailed and have thick impressions work the best. They come with handles and no glue.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-12-27, 11:12am
Jacqueline Parkes

Ohh...........well thank you for the headsup on Tandy, about to google!

Btw, are there any you have purchased you can recommend?

Old 2012-12-27, 11:17am
I'm meeeeelting

Yes. I'd need to pull them out to remind myself. I'll try to remember to do that when I get home from work tonight. The larger of the Tandy punches come with an interchangeable handle that you buy separately, so you only need one.

By the way, some of the paper punches, including the one you took apart, work great as masks for acid etching if you punch them out of electrical tape.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-12-27, 11:19am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh you are so helpful, thank you!

Well I just found a local store that carries the Tandy products but no one is answering the phone today. Yes when you have time, I would love to hear which stamps worked for you.

Thanks for the tip on acid etching as well.

Old 2012-12-27, 11:38am

I've used screw heads in the past to make raised patterns, held in tweezers. And pieces of patterned steel screens to, very useful as enamel masks.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-27, 12:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Great ideas Anne, thanks for sharing!

Local store is open now so I am going to head down there and see what I can find. He says he has all the inventory that is on the www site and that his stamp presses are on sale right now. Woohooo, will post again to show you what I got and maybe some test paddles.

Old 2012-12-27, 1:22pm

I would be afraid those punches have zinc in them
Old 2012-12-27, 4:50pm
I fart diamonds

Yep! I use the other side, though, so that the design is raised:

Cheap and easy! Sometimes you can find good ones at the dollar store. I use the leather tools from Tandy, as well.

Old 2012-12-27, 5:04pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I would be afraid those punches have zinc in them
They probably do, the look like white or pot metal.
Old 2012-12-27, 5:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Yep! I use the other side, though, so that the design is raised:

Cheap and easy! Sometimes you can find good ones at the dollar store. I use the leather tools from Tandy, as well.
Oh, interesting, thanks for sharing! I got four tools from Tandy today, $5 each. I will give them a try tomorrow.

Is that a wooden dowel? And how did you attach it?

Old 2012-12-27, 5:28pm
It's about having fun!

Very cool! I've done that, I have a heart and paw print I like. I only bought the dollar ones there and they did have several cool ones. At first I took them apart like you and super glued them to a tile but then I saw something here that gave me the idea to wrap it in polymer clay, and make a handle so I can use them as a stamp. Neat huh!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-12-27, 5:35pm
Lampworkaholic!

I went to Lowes and bought some brass cabinet knobs with various designs to use as presses. I just screwed in a long screw for the handles. Worked really well.

Brass sealing wax stamps also work well.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-27, 5:36pm

I have a couple of tandy ones and have made 3 from goldie bronze using rubber stamps for the patterns. I've been experimenting with dipping the stamp in enamel powder for a contrast imprint.
Old 2012-12-27, 5:37pm
It's about having fun!

I went and took a picture, the clay is really easy and seems to work well!
Here's what I did, they are fun!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-12-27, 5:57pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Oh, interesting, thanks for sharing! I got four tools from Tandy today, $5 each. I will give them a try tomorrow.

Is that a wooden dowel? And how did you attach it?
I bought a 3 foot piece of round and cut it into multiple pieces 'cause it was cheaper than buying multiple dowels. It's attached with epoxy.

Here's a thread with more:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206059

Last edited by shawnette; 2012-12-27 at 6:01pm.
Old 2012-12-27, 6:00pm
Burning Fingers!

I have the "paw" punch that I took apart too - looks really cute.

/
/
/

Old 2012-12-27, 6:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thanks for the link for the other thread. Have you made some paw beads yet Jane? Did you add a handle?

Old 2012-12-27, 6:30pm

Hi,
I highly recommend a certain flower stamp from Tandy. This photo shows two beads with the impression. I think they have different sizes.

Also, with the paper punch ones, definitely be sure to let them cool off completely between uses. I was too impatient, and ruined my paw punch when it melted into the bead.
Old 2012-12-27, 6:35pm

The Tandy stamp is W532 Craftool Flower Stamp, on sale now for $4.99, and it's 1/2 inch diameter.
Old 2012-12-27, 6:35pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh I saw that flower today, awesome! I purchased a different style, brb to make a test paddle to share

Old 2012-12-27, 6:44pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Just a quick paddle.

Old 2012-12-27, 6:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Has anyone tried the foot stamp? I saw it today but hesitated.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../66471-01.aspx

Old 2012-12-27, 6:52pm
It's about having fun!

I just figured out there is a Tandy Leather store here in the area! That should be fun!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-12-27, 6:53pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Just a quick paddle.

Hey, that's pretty!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-12-27, 6:54pm

That flower stamp is really nice too!

Does anyone have experience with this one?

(from Tandy's site - no copyright infringement intended)

It has tempted me for a while now.
Old 2012-12-27, 6:56pm
Jacqueline Parkes

The store I went to is about 20mins away. They also told me I could exchange any that do not work out.

Old 2012-12-27, 7:00pm
I'm meeeeelting

Here are the ones that I have.

The celtic looking one works the least well, if I recall correctly, because it's not very deep. The others all work pretty well. What I've found, is that you have to rock them a bit to get the full image into the glass. If you miss a part of the image, try adding just a little more heat and restamping. I find the stamp usually goes right back into place, because of the indenture from the first try.

I will say that, for me (I like to use enamels with the stamps and the grooves need to be fairly deep and wide), nothing compares to the Jim Moore spiral stamp. It's my gold standard. However, it's pricier. The small Tandy stamps are fun for making bead sets.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-12-27, 7:01pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay those are the different style of stamps they have that I was looking at today but they looked awfully large so I passed. I need to make another trip there for sure.

edit, Actually, you have two I purchased so I guess they are the same style. They just look different from the angle you shot the pic from I believe.

Old 2012-12-27, 7:12pm
Jacqueline Parkes