No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-06-12, 7:53am

Default Torching in Safe Clothing!

NOT A LECTURE, BUT A PLEA!!
Hi all, I am not going to lecture everyone on wearing leather Aprons, Hot Gloves and Motorcycle boots (however after the very first Mandrel burn I've gotten I may have to rethink THAT! LOL), but I would like to start a discussion on what is "sensible" clothing to wear while torching. I'll put my suggestions here. please feel free to comment, add ideas or suggestions below. I'll edit this article as required!
Lynnie

CLOTHING MATERIAL SUGGESTION
This tip on fire "unsafe" clothes was given to me by a friend who is (believe it or not) a flight attendant (she says their uniforms are cotton or wool for this reason). NEVER WEAR POLYESTER OR NYLON while torching OR flying. It has a fairly low melt point and catches fire easily, hence burning your skin more easily than if you were in, say JEANS.

UP IN ARMS!
Cotton and wool are the preferred clothing materials. Wear long, tight fitting sleeves, in order to help prevent hot shattering glass shards from entering your sleeves.

NO NAKED LEGS!
Cover your legs, preferably in cotton jeans of a durable weave, with no fashionable holes. I have had hot shattered glass land on my lap, without much of an ouchie, and no damage to the jeans. MOLTEN glass I am SURE would damage the jeans and hurt, which is why a Leather apron is a GREAT idea. No Hose or Nylons either, please wear safe cotton socks, nylons melt and burn skin.

BURNED BODIES HURT!
Find a nice supple Leather Apron at any feed supply or welding supply store, (blacksmiths and horseshoers wear them all day) and make sure it has a bib to protect your precious chest (and for men chest hair, LOL). Also, CLOSE YOUR UPPER BUTTONS on henley's and the like. Shattering glass has a way of finding unprotected skin! Ladies, skip the scoop necks and bosom baring fashion shirts in the studio, unless you LIKE unplanned fire brands on your lovely frontal parts!

GETTING TO THE SOLE OF IT!
Cover your feet while in your studio, top and bottom! No Sandals either!
No matter how well you sweep out your studio, tiny shards of glass WILL find a way into your soles, and not only does it HURT, you'll probably need a trip to the hospital so they can find it, as you won't be able to!

The tops of your feet can fall victim to hot glass, MOLTEN GLASS and any number of "industrial" hazards, as well. I won't go so far as to say you should wear steel toed shoes, but be smart, wear a thick leather shoe with heavy soles like a clog. I wear a comfy clog by LL Bean which provides me with great comfort and protection! Guys, they make clogs for you as well. THey slip off and on easily, and mine have a modified low back counter which keeps them on my feet when I cross them under my chair.

BTW: Keep your torching shoes IN your studio when not wearing them, so you don't carry tiny shards of glass to your living space.

ALL HANDS ON DECK!
I bought a lovely, supple pair of suede Black Stallion welders gloves. They are not made to withstand HIGH LEVEL, LONG TERM heat, but are great for snatching up a piece of hot glass from the floor, or moving a hot mandrel briefly in the kiln. Wish I'd had them when my mandrel fell out of my Chili-Pepper and a grabbed it bare handed...OWCH!!!

Well, that's all I could think of for now. If you want me to add more, please chime in here, and I'll add the ideas you have as they fit!
SAFE Hugs
Lynnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Last edited by danelady; 2005-06-12 at 7:55am.
Old 2005-06-15, 5:48pm
koregon

Hi Lynnie, I see no one has posted on this one, I have thought and thought about it, typed it up and x'ed it out and left...come back and here I am...a couple days later.

so many of us work in hot area's ....no air conditioning...but possible 100 plus in our garages etc...wearing socks and boots and long sleeve shirts and jeans or pants...heck...I would roast and be so darn uncomfortable...in the winter I could handle it...but no way come June,July,Aug,Sept and most of Oct. I wear capri's and cami tops...tank tops etc...and birkies...with a fan running at my feet and a cooling bandana across my head or neck. even with long stuff on, unless its tight at the wrist, and neck...you can get flying glass burns...I do have to say thou, I have concrete floors and a rolling computer chair and have saved myself from many burns by pushing away...and have only one time had glass tumble down onto my birks...I was quick to kick that off to...and didn't get burned...I have my few burns on my chest...and most of them are on my neck...war wounds after three plus years....those are from shocky rods.

but to go to the extreme of dressing as you state...man, I would be so uncomfortable I wouldn't be able to work...for me comfort is key so I can get into my groove...I do only wear cotton or wool...so if the glass hits the clothes it wont melt it into my body.

the glove is a good idea...I have seen the ovglove...advertisded and meaning to buy one of those to move mandrels around in the kiln.

Winter time I do wear sweatshirts and thermal shirts, pendleton wool shirts, sweatpants or jeans and (BIG FAVORITE) ugg style boots that are leather which sheepskin inside....this is out of necessity to be warm in my garage in the late fall and winter and early spring.

I do agree to never wear poly or nylon or fleece...you can ruin fleece faster than you can say the word, learned that my first six months of torching.

wool and cotton are primo...but covering the whole body during summer hot months...aint gonna happen for a big percentage...safey or not....just my honest opinion on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
NOT A LECTURE, BUT A PLEA!!
Hi all, I am not going to lecture everyone on wearing leather Aprons, Hot Gloves and Motorcycle boots (however after the very first Mandrel burn I've gotten I may have to rethink THAT! LOL), but I would like to start a discussion on what is "sensible" clothing to wear while torching. I'll put my suggestions here. please feel free to comment, add ideas or suggestions below. I'll edit this article as required!
Lynnie

CLOTHING MATERIAL SUGGESTION
This tip on fire "unsafe" clothes was given to me by a friend who is (believe it or not) a flight attendant (she says their uniforms are cotton or wool for this reason). NEVER WEAR POLYESTER OR NYLON while torching OR flying. It has a fairly low melt point and catches fire easily, hence burning your skin more easily than if you were in, say JEANS.

UP IN ARMS!
Cotton and wool are the preferred clothing materials. Wear long, tight fitting sleeves, in order to help prevent hot shattering glass shards from entering your sleeves.

NO NAKED LEGS!
Cover your legs, preferably in cotton jeans of a durable weave, with no fashionable holes. I have had hot shattered glass land on my lap, without much of an ouchie, and no damage to the jeans. MOLTEN glass I am SURE would damage the jeans and hurt, which is why a Leather apron is a GREAT idea. No Hose or Nylons either, please wear safe cotton socks, nylons melt and burn skin.

BURNED BODIES HURT!
Find a nice supple Leather Apron at any feed supply or welding supply store, (blacksmiths and horseshoers wear them all day) and make sure it has a bib to protect your precious chest (and for men chest hair, LOL). Also, CLOSE YOUR UPPER BUTTONS on henley's and the like. Shattering glass has a way of finding unprotected skin! Ladies, skip the scoop necks and bosom baring fashion shirts in the studio, unless you LIKE unplanned fire brands on your lovely frontal parts!

GETTING TO THE SOLE OF IT!
Cover your feet while in your studio, top and bottom! No Sandals either!
No matter how well you sweep out your studio, tiny shards of glass WILL find a way into your soles, and not only does it HURT, you'll probably need a trip to the hospital so they can find it, as you won't be able to!

The tops of your feet can fall victim to hot glass, MOLTEN GLASS and any number of "industrial" hazards, as well. I won't go so far as to say you should wear steel toed shoes, but be smart, wear a thick leather shoe with heavy soles like a clog. I wear a comfy clog by LL Bean which provides me with great comfort and protection! Guys, they make clogs for you as well. THey slip off and on easily, and mine have a modified low back counter which keeps them on my feet when I cross them under my chair.

BTW: Keep your torching shoes IN your studio when not wearing them, so you don't carry tiny shards of glass to your living space.

ALL HANDS ON DECK!
I bought a lovely, supple pair of suede Black Stallion welders gloves. They are not made to withstand HIGH LEVEL, LONG TERM heat, but are great for snatching up a piece of hot glass from the floor, or moving a hot mandrel briefly in the kiln. Wish I'd had them when my mandrel fell out of my Chili-Pepper and a grabbed it bare handed...OWCH!!!

Well, that's all I could think of for now. If you want me to add more, please chime in here, and I'll add the ideas you have as they fit!
SAFE Hugs
Lynnie

Last edited by Kaye Husko ~ koregon; 2005-06-15 at 5:50pm.
Old 2005-06-15, 5:56pm
Administrator

We all know I do not follow these clothing rules when torching!

contrary to popular belief though, I DO have clothes on when I torch

Old 2005-06-15, 6:35pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn

yeah, your fun to watch, best beadcam yet

Old 2005-06-15, 9:19pm

Hi Kaye Your post is welcome... you certailnly can wear LIGHTWEIGHT cotton pants and shirts (Scrubs work GREAT!) But nekkid will NOT do!
Hugs'Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Husko ~ koregon
Hi Lynnie, I see no one has posted on this one, I have thought and thought about it, typed it up and x'ed it out and left...come back and here I am...a couple days later.

so many of us work in hot area's ....no air conditioning...but possible 100 plus in our garages etc...wearing socks and boots and long sleeve shirts and jeans or pants...heck...I would roast and be so darn uncomfortable...in the winter I could handle it...but no way come June,July,Aug,Sept and most of Oct. I wear capri's and cami tops...tank tops etc...and birkies...with a fan running at my feet and a cooling bandana across my head or neck. even with long stuff on, unless its tight at the wrist, and neck...you can get flying glass burns...I do have to say thou, I have concrete floors and a rolling computer chair and have saved myself from many burns by pushing away...and have only one time had glass tumble down onto my birks...I was quick to kick that off to...and didn't get burned...I have my few burns on my chest...and most of them are on my neck...war wounds after three plus years....those are from shocky rods.

but to go to the extreme of dressing as you state...man, I would be so uncomfortable I wouldn't be able to work...for me comfort is key so I can get into my groove...I do only wear cotton or wool...so if the glass hits the clothes it wont melt it into my body.

the glove is a good idea...I have seen the ovglove...advertisded and meaning to buy one of those to move mandrels around in the kiln.

Winter time I do wear sweatshirts and thermal shirts, pendleton wool shirts, sweatpants or jeans and (BIG FAVORITE) ugg style boots that are leather which sheepskin inside....this is out of necessity to be warm in my garage in the late fall and winter and early spring.

I do agree to never wear poly or nylon or fleece...you can ruin fleece faster than you can say the word, learned that my first six months of torching.

wool and cotton are primo...but covering the whole body during summer hot months...aint gonna happen for a big percentage...safey or not....just my honest opinion on that.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-15, 9:21pm

DANG Corri

And here we all were PICTURING you Nekkid as a Jaybird all Torched up!
LOL
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-15, 9:22pm
koregon

Lynnie

I bet you have air conditioning in your studio doncha??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
DANG Corri

And here we all were PICTURING you Nekkid as a Jaybird all Torched up!
LOL
Lynnie

Old 2005-06-15, 9:25pm

Default !

Actually, for my AIR CIRCULATION to work, we have to turn OFF the AC and use fans in the windows and on the floor. So, NOPE I sweat Like a STUCK SWEATY PIGGY when working from spring till fall, and Jacksonville is miserable HOT and humid now ewwww! The dogs REFUSE to visit me in my studio right now!
Poor lonely me!

Quote:
Lynnie

I bet you have air conditioning in your studio doncha??

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-15, 9:37pm

Nahhh You can say whatever you want Kaye! Thats what these foruims are for!

Just do it as safely as you can, WE LOVE YOU!
Lynnie
Quote:
Lynnie I applaud you the stamina to wear lots of clothes and torch in the heat, I dont think I could do it...guess I should of kept it to myself...but, I will always wear tanks and shorts in the heat in my shop...I have very few burns over the three plus years, no more so than any profession that would work with torches or that type of stuff...any of them, your bound to get burned somehow.

I admire those who go by ALL the rules. Guess I am a rebel...not that I say anyone should do what I do...but more so do what you do.

Sincerely........Kaye...evedently the foolish one to many...oh well......least I am a happy fool

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-15, 9:42pm

And BTW ALL the rules? Did you see the dressing down I got on my Studio Post? I am a BAAAAD person who only " profess to try to do things safely" cuz I have my BBQ tank in the studio when i work, can't help it - working on adding the outdoor tank, refuse to stop torching in the meantime BAD me. So TRUST me, YEs I've walked into my studio barefoot, and it HURT when I got that glass sliver! And yes I burned my fingers before I got my gloves, and yup I STILL fire up the torch at 3am in my Jammies, and forget to look at the tag and make sure I'm wearing cotton.

But I do TRY to teach the right stuff even if I am not QUITE perfect LOL
(don't peek in my studio at 3am ok? I can't leave any witnesses alive to talk! heehee)
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Lynnie I applaud you the stamina to wear lots of clothes and torch in the heat, I dont think I could do it...guess I should of kept it to myself...but, I will always wear tanks and shorts in the heat in my shop...I have very few burns over the three plus years, no more so than any profession that would work with torches or that type of stuff...any of them, your bound to get burned somehow.

I admire those who go by ALL the rules. Guess I am a rebel...not that I say anyone should do what I do...but more so do what you do.

Sincerely........Kaye...evedently the foolish one to many...oh well......least I am a happy fool

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2005-06-23 at 5:52pm.
Old 2005-06-16, 3:57am
Piscean Fire Goddess

ooooooooooooh....

So me sitting in my bathing suit, barefoot, with a towel around my waist is not the proper clothing for torching? Well hells bells...

I am joking, i've never done, that but like Kaye, I go for comfort. I work in my kitchen for goodness sake.

In the winter time I must note, I am dressed properly... in the summer time I can barely stand the heat sitting doing nothing, let alone if I want to make pretty beadies.

Big hugs,
Sarah

PS Thanks for posting the important things for people to see and to know.

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-16, 6:47am
Lady Firebird

Default Torching Clothing

Now, why didn't I think of wearing scrubs ? I just might have to go get a set. Until I get my studio set up, I'm working outside on my patio either in the morning or the evening (once the sun comes over the building around 11 a.m. it's just too damn hot to be out at all), in shorts and sleeveless shirt (closed-toe shoes, though). It wouldn't be any better if I was inside, though -- I found out last night that, yup, my A/C is DEAD DEAD DEAD . This is NOT a good thing in Georgia in June.

Scrubs. I like it. Thanks for the idea!

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2005-06-16, 7:57am
Safety ALWAYS

Ok, I must admit to being confused here:

Quote:
Did you see the dressing down I got on my Studio from MikeAurelius?
Ok, you have me confused with Dale. I did not make any comments about your tank being in the house...
Old 2005-06-16, 10:23am
Safety ALWAYS

Oh, Dale - SHUT THE HELL UP, WILL YA?

There, I said it. I'm better now.

Stop acting like a 3 year old that just had a sucker taken away. You were way out of line and you know it. You aren't going to get people working safe if you keep on acting like an ass. Stop harrassing people about it.

Calmly, politely, ask if you can make a couple of comments about what you see. Otherwise, handle it through PM. Making a public stink serves no one any good.
Old 2005-06-16, 11:03am
Administrator

Ok, if you two do not stop then I will set your posts to be moderated until I get home!

Old 2005-06-16, 11:03am
Broken

OK guys seriously enough all ready! Dale that was uncalled for, totally uncalled for.

Old 2005-06-16, 11:21am
Ghost Town Glass

(where is the muscling the thread back on track icon?) Whew. I am so out of shape.

I am lucky, in that my studio is on my first floor, which never gets too warm, even on 90 degree days. I always wear shoes, because my feet hurt already. I bought a leather apron, but find that it hurts my neck. So I torch in cotton sweats and an old tshirt. Not pretty, but so what! My neighbors think I have a meth lab, so won't look at me anyway.

Scrubs are a good idea! I just saw some on sale, so hmm, there is an excuse to get some.

I went to a beginner beadmaker class, and one woman had on one of those rayon floaty tops with the long drapey sleeves. I could just see her going up in flames. No one said anything to her, so at the end I gave her some safety info. Next class she came prepared. No one had thought to tell her what to wear. So I think it is great that such info is posted. We can then decide what we are willing/able to do, and live with any consequences that come. Nothing like a boob burn to get those buttons done up!
Old 2005-06-16, 11:41am
Word to your mother

I got these really silly looking welders sleeves and apron at my local welders supply. They were not very expensive...here is the link

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/product_p/mig300.htm

I can be very clumsy, so I wanted to have a little extra coverage. I don't plan to have my portrait done while wearing the sleeves...so who the heck cares?

After thinking about it, I may have gone for a chef's jacket. They come in lots of cute prints and some are flame resistant.

Old 2005-06-16, 11:54am
Safety ALWAYS

I've got a leather apron that my wife bought for me. Every time I *haven't* worn it, I've burned a hole in my jeans, sometimes quite near something(s) quite precious to me .

It's a farrier's apron, and I believe she got it a the local Fleet Farm store here in town. Fully adjustable, and actually quite comfortable.
Old 2005-06-16, 12:02pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Thanks for the link Kendra.

I wouldn't mind laying it across my lap for sure!
Quote:
I've got a leather apron that my wife bought for me. Every time I *haven't* worn it, I've burned a hole in my jeans, sometimes quite near something(s) quite precious to me .
thats' "Murphy's Law" , isn't it?

Old 2005-08-17, 7:23pm
Barney's Mom

Great info Lynnie, thanks! I did stained glass for 10 years and I have some stunning scars from solder balls on my bare legs and feet. Not to mention scars on the tops of my feet from falling shards, all because I'd be in my studio cutting and soldering in my night shirt and flip flops.

Now I'm a bit older and my tolerance for pain is lower. I'll be wearing jeans or cargo pants, clogs with cotton socks and cotton turtlenecks when torching!

One of the toughest things in Life is deciding when to give up and when to try harder...

Last edited by Terri-S; 2005-08-17 at 7:25pm.
Old 2005-08-18, 9:55am

I just wear a cotton t-shirt and jeans with ankle socks and tennis shoes...but I like the idea of wearing scrubs (or a chef's jacket). The chef's jacket would be nice since we're "cookin' with glass" :-p Pretty scary story about having to have glass dug out of your body after it's worked itself in. I work outside on the sidewalk in front of our garage now- only place with an outside plug & conveniently by the water hose. Guess I better shop for some long sleeves.
~*Tracy*~

Old 2005-08-18, 1:00pm

I wear blue jeans and a jean shirt. The thing is they are way way too big. The jeans you could pull off without undoing. In the summer I does not stick to my body and there is air circulation and in the winter I can wear flannels under. The shirt I do have the sleeves rolled up to my wrists but it has saved me from stupid burns (ones I inflict with stupidity). The shirt also allows for air circulation and I can also wear what ever I want under it. I do recommend the way too big jean thing. I burnt more holes in my favorite clothes until I figured this out.

Me Bad - I hate shoes - therefore I seem to only wear them if I have someone else around to glare it me.

Cathy