LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-26, 8:05pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Default other silvered colours?

Has anyone tried effetre Sky Blue 224 or Violet 272 silvered?

I was just curious to see if they had some cool effect with the silver.

Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-26, 8:10pm

Any tips on how to keep the silver SILVER?? I've tried using it a few times, burnishing it on the bead (read tips from Passing the Flame), but it keeps turning a disgusting yellow brown, even when I try not to over heat it. Your stringers are beautiful. Any tips for a newbie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-27, 5:23am

Are you using fine silver or sterling? Sterling silver turns into yuck when heated. You need the fine silver which is 99.9% pure.

Old 2008-10-27, 5:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
Are you using fine silver or sterling? Sterling silver turns into yuck when heated. You need the fine silver which is 99.9% pure.
I don't actually know... I bought out the studio of a retired lampworker and have all of her supplies. There are two little packets of silver sheets (about 4" x4") with a fine orange tissue paper around them... I'm not sure how to tell what's what, and I didn't know enough to ask when I first got the stuff.

Old 2008-10-27, 5:42am

I just checked the list of supplies I got from her, and there is one packet of "silver leaf" and the other of "silver foil". Will either of those work?

Old 2008-10-27, 6:04am

Yes they will both work. I find that foil is easier to work with as it's a little thicker. Leaf tends to want to blow away and get stuck on my fingers. Foil is easier to cut into strips with scissors. Cut it while it's still between the protective sheets. I usually cut mine when I get a new book. Usually a whole sheet is more than you need for a bead (or to make stringers) so I cut the book into thirds before using.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell

Last edited by Donna T.; 2008-10-27 at 6:06am.
Old 2008-10-27, 6:32am

Can you refer me to a tut so I won't keep burning it? All I've been getting is greenish brown, even when I try to keep it cool.

Old 2008-10-27, 6:40am
Life is change. Love it

Betsy, how are you trying to use it? If you are encasing with clear there are certain clears that work better than others, someone will have a link, or you could search. Most clears will turn the silver foil yellow.

Old 2008-10-27, 6:45am

Thanks Carolyn--
That's exactly my problem. The glass I got in the studio buy-out is Moretti, but there are some larger rods of clear that I've been using for encasing that may not be Moretti. It's been so frustrating to create what looks like a lovely color combination to see it look awful when I pull it out of the kiln! Won't use that anymore! Will Moretti pale aqua or light blue turn the silver brown, too? I use those colors a lot.

Old 2008-10-27, 7:36am
Life is change. Love it

the thicker rods may be Lauscha which will turn the foil yellow. Moretti clear should be OK, pale aqua will also work well.

Old 2008-11-25, 1:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for all of the tips with silver foil, I really like using all of the very pale transparents instead of clear too.

Does anyone have any favorite Bullseye silvered stringer recipe? I just switched to Bullseye and will be experimenting when weather allows ( as I am in an unheated garage).

Lorraine
Old 2008-11-25, 2:23pm

Sorry I didn't read them all but of course the Queen of EDP says
EDP! lovely....

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-11-25, 4:06pm

With Bullseye, I use french vanilla or nougat silvered stringers just like sis.

|
Old 2009-03-17, 6:22pm

I have to ask....Has any one really had any luck with the transparent Effetre (any color) and silver leaf as a stringer?
-Michael Malone as Jean Claude Claudel
Old 2009-03-18, 7:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
Does anyone have any favorite Bullseye silvered stringer recipe? I just switched to Bullseye and will be experimenting when weather allows ( as I am in an unheated garage).
Lorraine
Nougat, french vanilla, golden green, oranges, reds, burnt orange, odds such as marigold, custard, desert sand, buttered popcorn, and strata.
Old 2009-03-18, 9:38am
Salt Box Beads

Well, now I am moving the torching part of my studio to my horse
trailer...but thanks so much Lyndaj for those answers. I can't wait to try them.

I bought one of the remaining 2 or 3 large sample packs of color from OCR. I got 1/3 pound of each color so I am excited to play with them ALL and see what I like best.

I like that it is 1/3 pound of each color because with the one rod sample pack if you like it that 1 rod goes too quickly!

Lorraine
Old 2009-03-24, 8:28pm

silvered v.transparent cobalt on m.transparent red. Encased

Old 2009-04-19, 10:19pm
Salt Box Beads

My goodness!!! nklt0 That looks like a Double helix silver glass stringer!!

They are gorgeous. I will have to try that. Thank-you.
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-11, 11:18am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Quote:
OK, I can't help myself - Hades and silver is my absolute favorite glass reaction!

Hades with silvered Vetro Coral, reduced

Hades with silvered clear

The silver foil was wrapped around the stringer for these, not melted in

Hades is the only black I know that does this - I've tried Lauscha and Vetro and they do nothing.
Is it the coral vetro that makes the reaction so strong? I tried clear silver stringer and SIS and didn't get anywhere close to the blues you got. I got some blue but nothing like your beautiful color

Thanks
Dave

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-05-15, 3:00am
Companion

Hello Dave,

it's the CIM hades that does the magic Put some silver glass or silvered stringer on it and reduce...tadaa
Don't you cry no more
Old 2009-05-19, 7:16pm
Formerly FishBulb

Fabulous thread! I can't wait to try some of these!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-05-20, 11:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Yes they will both work. I find that foil is easier to work with as it's a little thicker. Leaf tends to want to blow away and get stuck on my fingers. Foil is easier to cut into strips with scissors. Cut it while it's still between the protective sheets. I usually cut mine when I get a new book. Usually a whole sheet is more than you need for a bead (or to make stringers) so I cut the book into thirds before using.
I feel retarded that I have never thought of this. What a freaking brilliant idea.

Old 2009-05-23, 7:19pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi View Post
Hello Dave,

it's the CIM hades that does the magic Put some silver glass or silvered stringer on it and reduce...tadaa
I tried that SIS and silvered clear on hades and it turned an little blue but no where near what she got. I probably reduced it 5-6 times even got it sooty and still not nearly as good... Frustrating!

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-05-25, 12:20pm
Just Me!

Are you saying that the base on both of these beads are Hades?
They look so blue to me......Valerie

Quote:
OK, I can't help myself - Hades and silver is my absolute favorite glass reaction!

Hades with silvered Vetro Coral, reduced

Hades with silvered clear

The silver foil was wrapped around the stringer for these, not melted in

Hades is the only black I know that does this - I've tried Lauscha and Vetro and they do nothing.
Old 2009-05-25, 5:02pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

I agree Val I sure can't get that to happen and I bought a couple lbs to try it!!

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-08-05, 3:22pm
Salt Box Beads

*BUMP* May be a few newbies out there that would enjoy this thread.
Old 2010-08-05, 3:49pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you soooo much for bumping this, I was just wondering it myself, and thought that I will probably just waste all my silver foil for experimenting, but now I dont need to waste it! Its all here already, I would like to add couple new, and if they will look good, I will add them to the list!
Thanks Lorraine!
Old 2010-08-05, 5:56pm
Salt Box Beads

That's terrific Pia, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 2010-08-07, 7:42pm
Dynamic Duo

Works really well with ANY of the dark transparent effetre/moretti colors: black, intense trans emerald green, cobalt blue, dark amber, etc.

Old 2010-08-08, 12:46am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Silvered coral is one of my favorites!

It's super easy and fun to experiment with different colors instead of ivory
I don't recall ever seeing this thread before, but geezoflip, Ginny - I've gotta try some silvered coral pronto. Fabulous!!!!!!!!!