Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-16, 8:47am
Frog Queen

Default Need Advice from the Techno Types on Respirators

I am thinking of stocking the appropriate repirators for glass people
Many of the Respirator masks are very hard to find and alot of people are using the cheap masks you get at the hardware store. I know everytime I get in samples my friends want them.
I have access to many of the masks 3M makes but I am a little undecided on the best masks to get

Eventually I will get the half masks that are good for fuming but I think the fumers are a small portion of our group so I would like to get masks appropriate for those using frit and enamels and a mask for those who are using a light amount of metals - silvered Ivory, rolling a bead in Copper etc

Here is what I have come up with 3M 8211 is about 8 times as thick as the stuff a the hardware store - It is recommeded for Bagging, Grinding, Sweeping, Buffing, Cement, Textile, Lime and hot dusty operations and has adjustable straps with a Exhale Flow valve and adjustable elastic straps.
I think it would be great for frit and enamel users.

The rub is what to get for Metals - the 4 I am looking at 8212, 8512, 8214 and 8514 all are for Welding, Torch Cutting, Brazing, soldering and Metal Pouring. The 8214 and 8514 are also for Stainless and Galvanized and have Carbon Filter material. The 8212 and the 8214 have face seals - the 8512 and 8514 do not. My gut instinct is overkill and go for the 8214.
Am I right???

Bridget Beck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A Store with Tools you didn't know you needed!

Last edited by emeraldartistry; 2005-11-16 at 8:57am. Reason: typo
Old 2005-11-16, 1:00pm
Safety ALWAYS

Nope. All you need is the 3M 8233. This is an N100 dust respirator and is the best mouth/nose respirator for glassworking on the market.

I have them in stock: http://www.auralens.net/bs_dustmask.cfm

$8.19 each

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-16, 3:24pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Hey Mike... how are those for us bearded types?

-Jeff
Old 2005-11-17, 7:37am
Safety ALWAYS

Plenty good Jeff - as long as it is not a long heavy beard. If your picture is any indication, you should have no problem.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-17, 7:38am
Frog Queen

Well that's good news for me - they are a lot less expensive than the ones I was looking at
Bridget

A Store with Tools you didn't know you needed!
Old 2005-11-17, 8:18am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

I don't have any kind of ventilation in my garage yet. Haven't decided if I want to have a shed for lampwork. If I wear this mask does that mean I don't need ventilation???
Kyung
Old 2005-11-17, 8:39am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Nope. All you need is the 3M 8233. This is an N100 dust respirator and is the best mouth/nose respirator for glassworking on the market.

I have them in stock: http://www.auralens.net/bs_dustmask.cfm

$8.19 each

This is a topic that I have meant to ask about. Mike, will this mask work for silver fumes? I want to play with silver more but I don't think my 250cfm vent fan is good enough. We're looking into replacing it with lots more cfm but in the meantime can I use this? I thought I had to find one of those big, two filter, uncomfortable things. If I need something different for working with silver foil, can someone tell me "what and where"?

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-11-17, 8:39am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
I don't have any kind of ventilation in my garage yet. Haven't decided if I want to have a shed for lampwork. If I wear this mask does that mean I don't need ventilation???
Kyung

um...HELL NO!!!!

Wearing a respirator only removes glass and metal fumes. It does NOT remove hazardous combustion byproducts.

If you don't have ventilation of any kind, quite honestly, you should NOT be lampworking. You are injuring yourself by breathing air that contains combustion byproducts such as NOX, metal fumes, etc. I strongly suggest that you resolve the ventilation issue before you do any further lampworking.

Last edited by MikeAurelius; 2005-11-17 at 8:42am.
Old 2005-11-17, 8:41am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat
This is a topic that I have meant to ask about. Mike, will this mask work for silver fumes? I want to play with silver more but I don't think my 250cfm vent fan is good enough. We're looking into replacing it with lots more cfm but in the meantime can I use this? I thought I had to find one of those big, two filter, uncomfortable things. If I need something different for working with silver foil, can someone tell me "what and where"?
Yes it will Jennifer, it will handle silver fumes quite nicely. I do suggest that you upgrade your ventilation, maybe add a fan behind your head to blow fumes away from your face at an angle.

Even the big two filter respirators are rated the same N95 which is not good enough or N100 which is what you should wear. The only difference is the way the mask fits on the face, the rating of filter media is the same.

There is also a "P" filter, this is for fumes and dust which contain oils or petroleum byproducts, which is not necessary for our application.

Old 2005-11-17, 9:31am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
um...HELL NO!!!!

Wearing a respirator only removes glass and metal fumes. It does NOT remove hazardous combustion byproducts.

If you don't have ventilation of any kind, quite honestly, you should NOT be lampworking. You are injuring yourself by breathing air that contains combustion byproducts such as NOX, metal fumes, etc. I strongly suggest that you resolve the ventilation issue before you do any further lampworking.

Thanks.

Kyung