No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-10, 11:19am
Feverish Little Minx

Default I'm Freaking in Love with Frit

After making my first purchase of frit and playing with it a couple of times, I am digging it big time. I was feeling pretty frustrated with my skill level, but frit gave me instant gratification, and a kind of shot in the arm to keep plugging away at those pesky skills. So here's my question: Where are your favorite places to buy frit, and what do you do with it?

I'll start: I bought my frit at www.spiraldancedesign.com - It's COE 96, but I've been putting it on Effetre with no problem. So far, I've just been sprinkling it on my marver, rolling my bead over it, then melting in. I love, love, love a sample size called Purple Rain.

Thanks,

Amber

Last edited by Flamechick; 2005-11-10 at 11:28am.
Old 2005-11-12, 7:57pm

LOL...i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE frit too...
I've got samples from just about everywhere....I've bought from Spiral Dance & from www.ggglass.com & gail JUST put up another sample pack today (she's got just a few samplers left! go grab one NOW!! she only makes a few!) of her new blends
I've got samples of Val Cox's frit www.valcox.com & glass diversions frit www.glassdiversions.com & Alex M also sells solid color frits (someone pop in here with a link to Alex's ebay store please??) & I've bought some from her--she ships very fast! & with combined shipping fees to save you $$,
I just discovered www.emeraldartistry.com but haven't ordered from them yet--but they do carry frit (stop me please!!!) and www.howacoglass.com carries ALL the shades of MORETTI/EFFETRE in FRIT!!!
Oh, & musn't forget Kitty @ Listen-up, she makes her own frit from time-to-time
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/4sale/frit.htm (I'm lucky enough to have both of those colors & now sooo wish I had bought more, as she's "sold out" !! Check out HER site--she's been doing FRIT TESTS forever-- testing shades of frit on multi color base beads & creating huge charts! (wanna talk about obsessed & a FABULOUS resource??)
A great way to sample frits is to swap samples with other lampworkers (try the "pay it forward" thread in the "game room" or start your OWN thread over there--even swapping half-teaspoonfulls can get you lots of colors to try out!!

As long as you're playing with "leaded"/furnace glass frit (which the 96coe stuff is) you can use the 5% rule & be fairly sure that your effetre beads will survive
~lyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-11-12, 8:00pm

Here ya go: http://stores.ebay.com/Alex-Mironov-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm. I love love love frit too. Spiral Dance is the newest one for me to try and I'm loving her blends. Keep an eye out for Val, her website says she has some COOL ones coming up this week. Glass Diversions is working on new blends also.

I haven't ordered from Emerald Artistry either but her blends look way cool, the chocolate cherry one is making me hungry!

Last edited by DawnT; 2005-11-12 at 8:04pm.
Old 2005-11-12, 8:19pm

OH, forgot this one
http://stores.ebay.com/Bayou-Babes-Glassworks
I have some samples of their frit from a frit swap as well...hmmm...they don't seem to have up any frit right now...wonder if they've stopped selling?
but...while I was looking for them, I did find ANOTHER seller I wasn't aware of... OH NO!!
lbsupply
(did I mention I may be an addict??)
Thanks for that link Dawn!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2005-11-12 at 8:30pm.
Old 2005-11-12, 9:35pm
Feverish Little Minx

Holy crap-a-doodle, Frit Girls! I can tell I will be parting ways with more of my cash. I look at all the color choices and I feel like a little kid in a candy store, I don't even know where to start. Woo hoo! Thanks, for all the suggestions!

Amber
Old 2005-11-13, 8:23am
Ad astra per aspera

My name is Karen and I'm a frit ho. I have almost every frit from Val Cox, and I'm branching out to Gail at GG Glass (they're lovely!) and Spiral Dance (first frits on order). They're all so much fun and add so many cool possibilities.

Old 2005-11-13, 3:30pm
Feverish Little Minx

I've been messing with a green frit mix (Wildwood from Spiral Dance) and my new Lentil press and ruined 2 beads already! LOL! Love the color though! Perhaps I should practice making lentils before I waste my precious frit!

Amber
Old 2005-11-13, 9:30pm

Or...you could just make frit-on-spacers

Old 2005-11-16, 9:02am
Frog Queen

I'm a little prejudiced - I am emeraldartistry.com

But we ship that day or the next and we have sample size bags so you can try lots of colors - WE just got some holiday colors in that I hope to get listed today

Bridget Beck

A Store with Tools you didn't know you needed!
Old 2005-11-16, 12:00pm
Cheerfully Profane

This goes against everything I believe, but I am starting another frit bulk buy next Monday.

Rebekah
Old 2005-11-16, 12:36pm

I held off last time but this time...well not so sure I can keep my money in my pockets.

Old 2005-11-16, 2:35pm
Feverish Little Minx

I just ordered 7 more color mixes from Spiral Dance - that was yesterday, and today I got an e-mail that she just added 7 or 8 new color mixes to her inventory, and I want every one of those. Argh! I'm addicted!

I'm all out of clever.