LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-03, 6:44pm

Default I need a new controller. Please help!

Okay, people! I need a new kiln controller because mine just BLEW UP! I went to turn it on and there was a loud pop and big flash of white light. I unplugged it and as I was taking the thing apart, I broke where the thermocouple plugs into one of the microchips. I THOUGHT it was a plug, but apparently not. It was sautered in. I couldn't remove the faceplate unless I unplugged it. ANYWAY, I need a new one. The one I've always had was a stand-alone kind. From looking around I see that most glass venders sell the controllers as an entire ring. I really don't want that. Plus $500 seems pretty high. I've seen the guts of these things and I can't see why people charge so much. Anyone have any advice. I need a new controller as soon as possible!

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-03, 7:45pm
Storm Queen

Your relay probably went out and you can replace the thermocouple. I bought my stand alone one a Arrow Springs. However, I remember I had to wait three to four weeks after ordering to get it. Something to keep in mind when you do order. You can always get a pyrometer and kick it old school while you wait for a controller. It sucks to babysit a kiln but it's better than being out of business.

Old 2010-06-03, 8:14pm

WOW, 3 or 4 WEEKS??? OMG. I did brake down and get a controller from Arrow Springs. My old one was from there and overall it has performed very well for me. Thankfully, they have come down in price since I bought my last one.

I don't think it was my relay as there was an actual mini explosion. Whenever relays die from my limited experience, the kiln gets stuck either on OFF or ON. Plus I broke the part of the chip where the thermocouple plugs in. I really thought that bugger PLUGGED in. HHHHHHHHHHHHH. I'm kinda screwed w/saving it. DAMN. It just really sucks! I do have an infinite control switch (I'm pretty sure). Ah man, the whole situation really bites! Thanks for the info though. It will change how I plan things.

Candy

Old 2010-06-03, 8:20pm
Storm Queen

If I were you, I'd send the fried controller into AS and have Craig fix it. In the mean time, I'd get a pyrometer shipped asap to me so I could run the kiln old school. I'm betting you'd save a bunch of money and it's nice to have a pyrometer around.

Old 2010-06-04, 3:39am

If you have a computer, you can get a system from embeddedrf on ebay. It's a computer program that runs any kiln. I love mine!

Mary