No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-15, 6:53am
And silence is golden

Default Overhauling a used oxygen concentrator

I now am the proud owner of a used concentrator. Got it at a great price for only having 3500 hours on it. When plugged in, it registers 5.5 lpm. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, because I still have to get the propane regulator and flashback arrestor(s?).

One of my neighbors moved to the city where the unit was located. It is a two hour drive from here. He was kind enough to check it out and pay for it as long as it worked ok. I got a call from him when he arrived at the owner's home. The unit checked out ok except for the fact that it reaks of cigarette smoke, so I told him to go for the "or best offer" price that the owner advertised, and I would clean it up when I had it in my posession. She knocked off $20.

The unit arrived late last night. IT LITERALLY STINKS OF CIGARETTE SMOKE. I wiped it down, hoping that would work. I took the filter out and soaked it overnight. Still stinks. I washed the outside of the unit down with Tilex. That helped some, but that vent in the back smells worse than an old seedy bar. Is there a way to gingerly disassemble this unit and carefully clean the inside? I'd like to just take the outer cover off and throw it in the swimming pool for a day or two.

I know that I am lucky that this is all that is wrong with it, but could that much smoking around it cause damage to the performance of unit? When it is running, will the stale smell of cigarettes begin to permeate the air?

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-07-15 at 6:56am.
Old 2010-07-15, 7:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Funny in odd sort of way it reeks of cigarette smoke.....

Try something like Clorox spray cleaner with bleach (caution here it may discolor plastic or labels) .... Or maybe remove covers and wash them in Pine Sol or Simple Green, there is not much you can do to internals (really don't want to get them "wet") but maybe spray the internals down several times with LYSOL Disinfectant spray and let it sit outside with covers off for a day or two to "air out' (maybe spray several times) ...

Just avoid any "wet" products on electrical circuit boards or intake ports for (behind filters) for air compressor...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-07-15, 7:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

No guarantees its a tough issue..... But the Pine Sol actually got the rat urine smell out of a car I once bought (long story no need to go into it here) ....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-15 at 7:48am.
Old 2010-07-15, 7:35am
And silence is golden

(Smiley face batting eye lashes) My Hero! Always to the rescue. Thanks Dale.
Old 2010-07-15, 7:47am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I doubt it will smell like smoke when it is running. Did you replace the internal HEPA filter also?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-15, 8:00am
Did someone say SALE?

Mine smelled moldy when I got it, but now (a year later) it seems ok.... either it got better or I got used to it! lol
Old 2010-07-15, 10:56am
PyronamixK

Sadly, the reason some people need oxygen concentrators to begin with is that they smoke and have damaged their lungs. Sadder yet, a lot of them cannot quit the habit even when the damage is so bad that they need oxygen therapy. So, there are people who smoke while on oxygen therapy and their concentrators stink.

You can probably take the case off and let the machine air out for a while and see if that helps some. It might need to be cleaned with a cleaner. If you choose to clean it with something, make sure that you don't get any of the electronics/circuit boards wet.

Smoke actually can damage the sieve material, as can dust and dirt. Once something gets on the sieve, it's there and it blocks those particles from adsorbing the nitrogen, which, in turn, will decrease your purity.

If it has smoke inside, once it us running and the inside of the cabinet heats up, it might smell worse. So, I would say to try and clean as much of it as you can along with replacing any filters that you can replace.

It can take a lot of time to get a machine all cleaned up and in good working order.

PS If it is in that sieve, it might smell like smoke as long as the sieve is there. You could have your beds repoured.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-07-15 at 10:59am.
Old 2010-07-15, 2:40pm

How did they smoke with a concentrator running? Isn't that a disaster just waiting to happen? My grandmother had severe emphysema-she would sneak down to a basement bathroom and puff away. She always thought no one knew!

Old 2010-07-15, 3:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb L View Post
How did they smoke with a concentrator running? Isn't that a disaster just waiting to happen? My grandmother had severe emphysema-she would sneak down to a basement bathroom and puff away. She always thought no one knew!
I think tanks and smoking are the danger, since it is oxy under pressure that is so explosive.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-15, 3:47pm
And silence is golden

They probably parked the minimum limit away form the oxycon, and puffed away.
Old 2010-07-15, 3:50pm
And silence is golden

And Kim to my rescue as well! Can't get better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
You could have your beds repoured.
Now I'm really getting lost here!

I don't know any of the anatomy of this machine yet. I have however, managed to get the outer casing off, and actually threw it in the pool. I wiped down the inside as best I can without getting any of the electronic boards wet.

What exactly is the sieve? There is a black filter looking thing that fits over the fan on the outside of the machine. It smelled so bad that I took it out and soaked it overnight in some water with a bit of cleaning solution in it. I might soak it again in some baking soda water tonight. Then I'll give it a good rinse tomorrow. Are there any other filters on this machine?

I noticed that the vinyl hose material inside the machine appears to have a brownish substance inside of it. My guess is that it is cigarette smoke build-up. I'm thinking that they may have to be cleaned or replaced.

The sheets of foam padding that is glued onto the inside of the shell, is permeated with cigarette smoke. After soaking the pieces in the pool, the odor is still there. It looks like I may have to find a piece of foam to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can get some 3/4" heavy duty foam? Probably won't need anymore than 2'x1.5'.
Old 2010-07-15, 3:52pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I doubt it will smell like smoke when it is running. Did you replace the internal HEPA filter also?
What is that, and where is it located?
Old 2010-07-15, 3:56pm
Present tense

One of my M-15s arrived reeking of stale smoke, and it was worse when when it was running and warm. They live out in the garage though, so I didn't have the issue of it stinking up my house. After several weeks though, the smell went away.

I know it's a rotten smell, but it ought to air out eventually.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2010-07-15, 4:00pm
And silence is golden

Thank you Tiffany. That gives me some hope!
Old 2010-07-15, 4:18pm

I wonder if that recipe you use to rid "skunk" from a dog would work (H2O2, baking soda, Dawn detergent), it really got rid of the skunk ordor..a miracle.
Old 2010-07-15, 4:27pm

Our local weekend radio contractor show is always talking about www.odorxit.com He says this stuff really works. Might be worth a try if all the other things don't work.

Old 2010-07-15, 4:32pm
And silence is golden

Thanks Deb. I'll keep it in mind!
Old 2010-07-15, 5:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you have the cover off, you should be able to see the filter I am talking about - if there is one.

it will look something like this

http://www.glennmedical.com/glennmed...sinc/id16.html

but might be round and/or part of it might be colored. Only one of my two has one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-15, 6:03pm
And silence is golden

Squid, thanks for letting me know. I guess I do have a Heppa filter.

Old 2010-07-15, 6:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that does look like a filter of some type. Mine is much bigger than that, but I have an older oxycon.

is that tubing flexible? It looks like it would be easy to replace.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-15, 6:19pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
is that tubing flexible? It looks like it would be easy to replace.
Yup, it's flexible. I wonder if the green tubing is a color coding representing a stonger material.
Old 2010-07-15, 6:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Could be - hopefull Kimberly will chime in.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-15, 7:16pm
PyronamixK

I might be able to get some of that green tubing through my medical supplier. I'll check on a price for you. That filter is either a HEPA filter or a bacterial filter. I'll check the manual and see what it is for that machine. Is it an Invacare?

Do you see the two identical metal canisters? Those are your sieve beds. They are filled with a material called xeolite. Xeolite is what grabs ahold of the nitrogen under pressure, separating it from the rest of the air. It is sensitive to dirt, smoke, water, etc.. Over time, it gets less effective and needs to be replaced. This replacement process is the repouring the sieves I mentioned.

And as for smoking and oxygen... oxygen being under pressure and exploding is not so much the concern. Oxygen is an accelerant. It makes things that can burn burn a lot faster and a lot more thoroughly. Clothes can burn. If clothes are saturated with oxygen (as can happen when you are breathing it through a tube or mask on your person all day long), they become much , much more flammable. In the little town five miles away, a guy who was on oxygen therapy fell asleep while smoking (and apparently still hooked up to his oxygen). It burned his house down and his oxygen tanks inside exploded. Oxygen tanks will explode from the heat of a fire (as will a tank of plain air). The shrapnel is dangerous.
Old 2010-07-15, 7:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

when sieve beds are "repoured" are they just refilling the canisters?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-15, 7:28pm
PyronamixK

I think as long as the canisters are in good shape and not leaking, they can be refilled. If the canisters are bad, they can be replaced.
Old 2010-07-15, 8:38pm
PyronamixK

BTW, Aleta, are you sure that's tobacco residue on or in those hoses and not something else?
Old 2010-07-15, 8:54pm
And silence is golden

Kimbery,

How does one know when the sieve beds need to be refilled?

I have a lot of the clear flexible hose that is the same size as what is inside the unit, from when my dad was in the hospital. I wonder if this will work.

I live in a relatively high humidity region for this time of the year. The concentrator should be kept in an air conditioned environment. However, I cannot stand the cigarette smell of this thing in the house right now. It will have to go into the garage where I have my studio. Which part of the machine is affected by humidity anyway? A friend of mine who has done welding, said that the concentrator might be able to be housed in a wooden box to keep the humidity away. Sort of like it's own little room. What are your thoughts on this?

I have not idea if that stuff in the tubes is tobacco residue. I am only assuming so because when I used a white rag to clean the machine, it was covered in the same color of substance as what is in the tubes. It smelled of cigarettes.
Old 2010-07-15, 11:03pm
PyronamixK

Do not house the concentrator in a box. It needs a lot of ventilation both for fresh feed air and to keep it cool.

It should be fine out in your garage. Just don't let it get wet. Humidity affects all sorts of things in a concentrator. The sieve material is ruined if it gets wet. Electronics like to be dry. Cool, dry air will yield the best purity.

I don't know if regular vinyl tubing will hold up to the heat inside the cabinet. It gets about 30֯ F or so higher inside the cabinet than outside while it's running.

If that stuff is inside the tubes, then it is likely also inside the sieve canisters and has affected the sieve. You can try torching with it and see what happens. If your flame seems wimpy and cool or you're getting a lot of reduction, then your purity is likely shot and you will need new sieve material.
Old 2010-07-16, 6:59am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
It should be fine out in your garage. Just don't let it get wet. Humidity affects all sorts of things in a concentrator. The sieve material is ruined if it gets wet.
Within 30 feet of the house, is a canal with salt water in it. I'm thinking humidity might be a problem with the garage.

I washed off the sieve canisters yesterday with a wet rag, and dried them immediately. I was careful around the tops. Are the outside of the canisters something to be concerned with? Can I get the canisters refilled/poured at an oxygen company? Or can I buy something and do it myself?

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-07-16 at 7:02am.
Old 2010-07-16, 6:39pm

I hate to break in on your post, but I was hoping someone might offer advice on where to go to get the sieve beds redone? Should I try to find a local medical supply place or do I have to send the whole oxycon (and I've got 2 that are getting bad) somewhere? I hate the thought of shipping, I no longer have the original boxes I got them in since I've moved. Thanks for any inputs and Aleta good luck with the concentrator, I hope you get the smell out. I'm allergic to smoke so I completely understand about trying to get rid of that smell. If you can run them outside the house for awhile maybe that could help air them out.

Tina