Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-09, 1:33pm

Default Keeping Glass Reduced

Hi have a question some of you I am sure have answers to!

I just pulled a batch of beads that had DH stringer work on it. When they went into the kiln they were beautiful and lustrous! When I pulled them out most of the reduced luster was gone! It was odd - some beads were half and half. This is not a common issue and usually they stay they way they were put in. It is possible the environment in the kiln was slightly oxidized and removed the luster? If this is the case how can I help the kiln environment stay slightly reduced? I remember hearing something once that a small piece of charcoal in the kiln helped this???

The other thing that MIGHT be part of the reason is I recently put a new mandrel rest in the kiln. I have however had it in there a few kiln cycles so I would think any residue on it might burn off but do you think this might have been a contributing factor?

Any thoughts or idea are greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-09, 7:04pm
Glass-aholic

buy some activated charcoal. just a tiny bit, put it in a small dish in your kiln, like a metal frit tray, or small terracotta flower pot dish (the tiny tiny ones) You can get it in the fish section of walmart. Because you just need a little little bit, you can buy a $3 fish tank filter and take out the charcoal from that. you need only a tiny tiny bit. LIKE AT MOST half of what comes in a small fish filter. You can buy it in larger amounts, if you want for about 10 bucks, same section of the store*. Its also a great de-oderizer for the fridge and freezer. use like baking soda just a tablespoon will work, staple it between a coffee filter and throw it in the fridge/freezer.
If you add too much all your other beads will reduce.

OR try turning down your kiln a few degrees. If your beads were half and half, it may have been the side exposed to the coils/heatsourse/hotspot in your kiln, that was hotter, and there for burned off the reduction.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2010-08-09 at 7:08pm.
Old 2010-08-09, 7:25pm

I have the same problem, turning it down fixed the problem a little but i had a few beads crack, so don't turn it down too low. Triton is the worse for me, it un-reduces like crazy !!

i havent' tried the charcoal yet.
Regis

Magma Beads .

Old 2010-08-09, 9:25pm
Crazy Snake Lady

If you turn down the kiln, lengthen the annealing time. That's what I do and my silver glass stays the same color and the beads don't crack.

Also make sure the beads are hot enough when they go into the kiln! The only time I ever had a bead crack was when it went in the kiln too cool.
Old 2010-08-10, 5:48am

Wow Great! Thanks so so much! Off to walmart!

Old 2010-08-10, 6:25am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks for the tip!
Old 2010-08-11, 12:17pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Been there done that, charcoal did not work at all for me!!
Anneal at little lower temp and soak longer like Laurie said, my beads don't crack either!

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-08-14, 6:48am
Glass-aholic

you have to use activated charcoal, not just any charcoal.. maybe that was the issue??? humm...

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-08-15, 7:01am
Can't you see I'm busy???

Is the new mandrel rest metal? Could be the new rest is oxidizing a bit....

Try supporting your mandrels on some ceramic kiln furniture...
Old 2010-08-16, 6:46pm

you can also try reducing your glass when it is a little bit warmer

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-08-30, 6:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
If you turn down the kiln, lengthen the annealing time. That's what I do and my silver glass stays the same color and the beads don't crack.

Also make sure the beads are hot enough when they go into the kiln! The only time I ever had a bead crack was when it went in the kiln too cool.
Laurie how much lower and longer do you suggest? Thanks Becky
Old 2010-11-10, 6:52pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
buy some activated charcoal. just a tiny bit, put it in a small dish in your kiln, like a metal frit tray,

If you add too much all your other beads will reduce.
This is off subject, but can you cause reduction JUST by using the charcoal? I am on a Hothead and this sparked my curiosity.

Thanks!
Old 2010-11-11, 7:29am
Glass-aholic

apparently yes. I have heard of people getting an unwanted reduction on their beads in the kiln, and not knowing why. usually a kiln cleaning is in order here because of the accumulated build of of reduction materials. I have also heard that people using activated charcoal will forget, and have a whole slew of reduced beads that were not supposed to be. I have not had this happen, my kiln is pretty good to me, but I imagine that the reduction would not be all that great, just a slight reduction. It would be worth trying Let me know if you need some charcoal, ill mail you some. I have a big bottle for the fish tank. (its great in the fridge, it filters odors)

I honestly have thought about hooking up my HH just for the reduction factor! It was amazing!! I cannot get the same reduction I did on my HH. Its close, its just not the same.... However I do not think that with a HH you need to add any reduction, YOU GOT IT!! It is by far the best reduction I have ever gotten.

Last edited by jaci; 2010-11-11 at 7:31am.
Old 2010-11-11, 7:56am
Lampworkaholic!

I garage and soak (1.5 hours) at 920 and this works for me, both to maintain reduction and to avoid overstriking my striking colors. The kiln will spike higher than that after the door is opened to put in a bead or move beads around, as it tries to regain steady state, so keep your reduced beads away from the heating element.

Encasing is another way to protect reduction, although the effect will be different. I rarely leave reduction exposed because it tends to tarnish over time. A silver cloth will restore some of the shine, but customers tend to flip when their shiny beads start getting dull.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-11, 8:06am
da General

Lower your kiln temperature and lengthen the annealing time need to be done methodically - test it out 10F at a time. I have written about it in my blog of annealing silver glass if you are interested.

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/2009/...mperature.html

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-11, 8:26am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for the great info!