LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-22, 9:06am

Default Which White Are You Using for Black & White Beads?

As far as black goes, I'm all set with Black Diamond and Deep Black but I'm needing a nice opaque white to make black and white beads. I've used light ivory in the past for a solid color but it has to be white this time and hopefully one that doesn't spread too much. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-22, 12:44pm

What about Reichenbach 104 Porcelain, has anyone tried it? Is it a dense opaque, be ok for black & white beads?

Old 2011-08-22, 1:36pm

I use Effetre white. It's about as opaque as they come.

Old 2011-08-22, 1:45pm

I also use effetre white and never have had a problem.
Old 2011-08-22, 2:20pm

Thanks. I must have a not so great batch because my effetre white is more translucent than solid white. Don't want to buy more and wind up with it being the same as what I've got already.

Old 2011-08-22, 2:36pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

#204 Effetre white.
Old 2011-08-22, 2:48pm

I think you might have Anise White. It is translucent, but plain old white is definitely opaque, doesn't bleed and is an all-around great glass.

Old 2011-08-22, 3:12pm

I have both effetre white and anise white, I know the difference. The effetre white I have looks opaque in the rod but when I use it, it looks white but the bead has a milky appearance if you hold it up to the light and stringers are really translucent. I need something dense enough for stringer work. Maybe I'll order a small amount and see, the current batch I have is about 2 years old.

Old 2011-08-22, 3:19pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

The batch of effetre white that I have isn't as dense as the old stuff either, and that batch was from a couple years ago.

However, I get effetre white stringers and that is much denser. If I put a stringer on top of a bead made from a regular 6mm rod of white, you can see the difference.
Old 2011-08-22, 3:26pm

I use the Reichenbach porcelain for the fine stringer or dot work, it is way denser and a lovely bright white although a little stiff to work with (which of course can be an advantage when using fine stringer).

I don't mind the effetre white when I used it before, but when compared to porcelain, just doesn't cut the mustard at all.

Nat

ps. if I had a pic I would post it up, but those beads have all sold! LOL

Last edited by Natsprat; 2011-08-22 at 3:27pm. Reason: terrible grammar
Old 2011-08-22, 4:05pm
Always Improving

We have been using Effetre 204 as white for B&W beads and along with intense black works really well.

Last edited by Flame Ryder; 2011-08-23 at 11:13am.
Old 2011-08-22, 4:21pm
da General

If memory serves, I think Brad Pearson said he used a light gray (not sure which one exactly but it's Effetre) as white for his black and white dot beads. I have seen them in person, they look white.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-22, 4:26pm
Lampworkaholic!

I like CiM Peace.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-22, 5:08pm
I like to melt things

Reichenbach Porcelain is sort of reactive, and sort of semi-opaque, but is a beautiful colour that doesn't bleed. It's not really White though, it's more of an off-white, and when it reacts with other colours it turns pink.

I really like CiM Peace when I want a completely opaque white, but I've learned you have to work it sort of cool because my most recent batch has been a little prone to greying up when it gets too hot. I like Effetre White best when I actually want a little translucency, like with a white design on an encased bead.

-
-
Old 2011-08-22, 5:14pm

Thanks everyone, you’ve given me some great ideas to try out.

Unfortunately that’s the white I’m having problems with now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Ryder View Post
We have been using Effetre 204 as white for B&W beads and along with intense balck works really well.

Thanks for the reminder! Now I remember reading that from Corina years ago. I'm making a list of whites to order and I'm going to get some stringers and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
The batch of effetre white that I have isn't as dense as the old stuff either, and that batch was from a couple years ago.
However, I get effetre white stringers and that is much denser. If I put a stringer on top of a bead made from a regular 6mm rod of white, you can see the difference.
Thanks Nat! I agree a stiffer white would be great for scrollwork. I did a search on Google and found Melanie's blog post about Porcelain, half way down the page. http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/search?q=Porcelain
She did a scroll on Tuxedo and it looks just as milky as the effetre white I have now. I've never used Tuxedo so don't know if that color just sucked the life out of Porcelain, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsprat View Post
I use the Reichenbach porcelain for the fine stringer or dot work, it is way denser and a lovely bright white although a little stiff to work with (which of course can be an advantage when using fine stringer). I don't mind the effetre white when I used it before, but when compared to porcelain, just doesn't cut the mustard at all.
Nat ps. if I had a pic I would post it up, but those beads have all sold! LOL
Wow, that's interesting! I do have an older vetro odd very pale gray that might work. I better go dig it out and see what happens. Thanks Hayley!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
If memory serves, I think Brad Pearson said he used a light gray (not sure which one exactly but it's Effetre) as white for his black and white dot beads. I have seen them in person, they look white.

I remember someone telling me this before and I bought some and used it. For some reason I've got it in my head it didn't work but can't remember why. Time to go revisit Peace again. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I like CiM Peace.

Old 2011-08-22, 5:16pm

There you are Melanie, I was talking about you, lol. You must have posted while I was typing! I really enjoyed going through all your glass testing info, really appreciate it!

Old 2011-08-22, 8:06pm

I seem to remember something like this happening a few years ago with pea green. The formula changed and the newer batch was not as opaque. I didn't realize there was a difference in one batch of Effetre white to the next, but it makes you wonder why they would mess with a good thing.

Old 2011-08-22, 9:25pm
Ad astra per aspera

CIM Peace is the only opaque white I use anymore.

Old 2011-08-22, 11:47pm

I made a couple test beads with the effetre stringers and black, and they're in the kiln now. I'll post them on Friday for you.
Old 2011-08-23, 8:26am

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
I made a couple test beads with the effetre stringers and black, and they're in the kiln now. I'll post them on Friday for you.

Old 2011-08-23, 2:34pm

You're welcome I don't have pics for you yet, but here is the outcome.

I used the following two colors, both ordered about a year ago.

591204-02 Effetre White Pastel 2-3mm Stringer
591064 Effetre Black Transparent

I took a stringer on the thinner side, made two base beads out of the black, and made one bead that has a white wavy line and white dots, and another bead that I used hair fine stringer of the white pulled from the stringer, on the black bead. The wavy line bead I purposefully marvered at an angle so one side of the white wavy line would get really thin against the black, and it looked translucent on that edge while I made it, but it came out perfectly opaque. there's no difference between the edges on the final bead. All the dots are opaque too. It's a nice flat, clean opaque white.

With the hair fine stringer, where the stringer kind of balled up in areas, it's opaque. Where it remained hair thin and then melted in and spread, it is a little translucent (and it got a very thin but very cool metallic edge if you look closely). But I'm serious that the stringer was hair thin in those areas.

Pics on Friday.
Old 2011-08-23, 3:30pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Hmmm.....I use effetre white without any problems. Maybe I've just never received a bad batch. Hope you find something that works for you.

Old 2011-08-23, 3:56pm

There's nothing wrong with effetre white; it's just that it's not as dense a white as it used to be. It's really evident when used in conjunction with factory made white stringers. I'd post a test bead but I'm not sure that my camera will be able to pick up the difference. I noticed it once when I wanted to add a little extra glass to one end of a bead made with a full sized rod, and I used a premade stringer I had handy. When the bead came out, it was really obvious where I had added the extra glass.

There are no "bad batches" per se. The current effetre white 6mm rods just have less of whatever ingredient makes the white.
Old 2011-08-24, 5:14am
Did someone say SALE?

If you want it more dense, I would mix effetre white with white enamel and see if that helps. Two or three coats of it, mixed in well should do the trick. Hope that helps!
Old 2011-09-02, 1:19pm

Here's the pic of the test beads I made with effetre black and effetre white stringers.

The white is bright where ever it is fairly thick. The very thin lines were made with hair fine stringer, so they're not quite as opaque.

It does have a tendency to spread though
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-03, 9:30am

The recent Effetre whites that I have seen have been watered down. Lauscha kryolith white was coming through much denser and whiter.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-09-03, 9:24pm

I am getting a nice crisp bead if I do black with white over it using effetre black or hades black and vetrofond white.