Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-16, 6:31am

Default Newbie question about batch annealing

Maybe someone can help with my question. I'm a newbie. I made loads of beads since I am learning and I am wondering if I can batch anneal them in my Jen Ken glass kiln. How long after beads are made can they be annealed? Since they are now off the mandrels, do I just put them directly on the kiln shelf or on fiber blanket? Anyone have a schedule for a 3 button Barlett controller?
Thanks so much,
Chris S.

PS I have gotten a few answers on another thread but thought I could get more infor by posting a new thread.
Old 2011-03-16, 6:45am

Yes, you can batch anneal them by just piling them in. If any of them are rubino, you should be careful about what they're touching as it goes tacky at lower temperatures than most of the other colours - the rest can just be piled up however you like. They can be annealed at any point. You can thread them on mandrels like bead kebabs if you prefer not to have them in a pile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-16, 7:10am

I just got my JenKen (chili pepper) kiln - the controller has 3 buttons but it's an Orton something or other. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. ???
Old 2011-03-16, 7:26am
Life is change. Love it

Just put em in and set it on an annealing cycle. If you search here there are lots of threads that give you the ramp up, hold, ramp down numbers

Old 2011-03-17, 2:32pm

Quote:
bead kebabs
lol!!

I would put them on a piece of ceramic fiber or kiln shelf paper. If you have a overheat situation, they will get stuck to the bottom of the kiln. It's not easy to get them off without damage.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-03-30, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
bead kebabs
I know what i am bringing to thanksgiving dinner now!!! MUWAHAHAHHAHAHAH
Old 2011-03-31, 5:43am
flight risk

I batch anneal on a fiber blanket on the floor of the kiln. My first batch included some beads that were made over 3 years ago. I have a Jen-Ken with an Orton controller, and it has a preprogrammed setting for Bead ---> batch anneal. Check your manual, all the info on programming should be in there.