Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-27, 1:15pm
A Dragonfly's Journey....

Default Looking for cheap COE 104 Glass!

Hi! I'm still sort of a newbie...VERY new when it comes to actually buying glass! I want to get more, but I'm not sure where the cheapest place to get it is! I tried the devardi glass, and its okay..defiantely for the price! But I am leaning more towards effetre glass now, and would love to know if anyone has suggestions as to where I could get it for cheap...or cheaper!
Old 2011-11-27, 1:53pm
Loving learning

LE vendors post sales pretty frequently in the Sale Rack part of the forum. There are a couple of sales going on right now.

I don't know if Art Glass House has their website up & running yet, but they have good prices too. You can PM Ron & he'll give you prices if you give him the glass name & number you're interested in. (R4GlassStudio)
Old 2011-11-27, 2:13pm

Sign up for Mike's Newsletter (http://www.frantzartglass.com). There are sales going on every week. Right now, he's listed many Effetre colors 50% off and free shipping on orders over $100 until Dec 1st. Email me at candy@beadgoodies.com and I'll forward you his latest newsletter. This week white, clear, opal yellow, periwinkle, ivory and many others at at 50% off.

I'm in no way associated with Frantz Art Glass, btw.

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-27, 2:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

Howaco has great prices and would be my number 1 recommendation. Also consider Moretti & More and Flame Kissed Glass.

Frantz Art Glass has some good sales, as does ABR Imagery.

ETA: Art Glass House in Cocoa Florida is awesome and has a new website!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-12-01 at 9:27am.
Old 2011-11-27, 2:52pm
offically down under

As a newbie, I would avoid any glass that is difficult to work with as it is like trying to learn to fly in a 747. If you stick with a COE of 104, the Italian glass (effetre, vetrofond) are the best value for quality glass. CIM, which is made in China under strict US supervision is great glass but tends to be pricier. Lauscha and Reichenbach are made in Germany and, again, lovely glass but tending on the pricier side.

American made Bullseye is stunningly gorgeous glass with a COE of 90. Again, a bit pricier but if you want to make flowers, this gives great results.

Furnace glass is usually 96 COE and there are 3 main companies that make it. Uruoborus, Spectrum 96 and, my personal favorite Gaffer. The transparents tend to be much more saturated so it can be frustrating as a newbie.

I would steer away from glass made in India. Yes, they have some lovely colors but the glass can be very unpredictable, shocky and extremely frustrating to use. In my opinion, it is a real false economy as you waste so much when it spits frit out. To avoid the frit on a stick, they will suggest that you buy a rod warmer which, if you'd spend the extra $0.50 per pound on the Italian glasses, you wouldn't need the $62 rod warmer.

Another option is to watch in the garage sale section of LE to see if anyone has glass for sale. Compare it to the vendors website and, as we say in Aus, Bob's your uncle.

Again, this is my opinion. I've been making beads for 6 years and I've learned from experience.

Welcome to the addiction and to LE

Old 2011-11-27, 3:24pm

Thanks guys! Ill have to check it all out some more! I am mainly trying to steer clear of the devardi glass, as my sister and I did waste money on 26 lbs of it...and the 62 dollar rod warmer...Before I realized that HEY, this is waaay too frustrating to deal with.
Old 2011-11-27, 3:33pm
one day at a time

Howaco has the best prices and they are like that all year round. Her shipping is very reasonable too.
Old 2011-11-27, 3:39pm
FireBeads

Consider your location and shipping distance/costs.
Old 2011-11-27, 5:15pm

Yeah and remember you get what you pay for. If the glass spits all over you can't use it.
Old 2011-11-27, 6:08pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

When I first started, Mike Frantz sold me some "shorts" really cheap. They were very long shorts and came with quite a variety. The downside of that is that they weren't labeled. I am still using them and am pleasantly surprised by what I find... if you send him a pm, I bet he would do the same for you.
Pam
Old 2011-11-27, 8:41pm

Aww, Thats a great idea, Ill give it a shot!
Old 2011-11-27, 8:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Howaco has the best prices and they are like that all year round. Her shipping is very reasonable too.
I checked them out! I love the idea of chosing my price and they chose my rods...But do you know how many rods you get for the price? It doesn't say!
Old 2011-11-27, 10:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

It is sold by weight. And it's on sale tomorrow!

Quote:
So here is your Cyber Monday deal from Howaco Glass. Use the word Monday at checkout in the discount box (then hit the recalculate button) and you will get 10% off your entire order.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-27, 10:52pm
Ad astra per aspera

Old 2011-11-28, 8:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
It is sold by weight. And it's on sale tomorrow!
I'm going to put my order in today, just can't decide if this is what I want! I want to do the 'Help Me Choose My Glass' option, and maybe put in the little note that I want the cheaper rods...not the $4 ones! I want the biggest bang for my buck, ya know? Do you think this would be a good idea for me? I guess I just need some reinforcement! I'm nervous that if I leave it totally up to them, I wont get the most rods for my money, but I don't want them to think it rude for me to post that I want the cheaper rods! but I also don't want sucky rods or sucky glass either!
Old 2011-11-28, 8:52am

As your budget for glass increases, you will want better tools, so don't waste your money now on the cheap ones. Learn to make a round bead, a really, really round bead - any color! - then you can change the shapes with tools, presses, etc.

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2011-11-28, 8:57am

I say don't get in a huge hurry to build a stash - try some small amounts of things, buy more of what you like. I have some things that I will probably never use, because I thought I would love it, and I don't.

I have a bunch of shorts I can send you, and most are labeled. Mind you, I am not the fastest at getting things mailed, but if you pm me with your address, I will get some stuff together for you.
Old 2011-11-28, 8:59am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dragonfly's Journey View Post
I'm going to put my order in today, just can't decide if this is what I want! I want to do the 'Help Me Choose My Glass' option, and maybe put in the little note that I want the cheaper rods...not the $4 ones! I want the biggest bang for my buck, ya know? Do you think this would be a good idea for me? I guess I just need some reinforcement! I'm nervous that if I leave it totally up to them, I wont get the most rods for my money, but I don't want them to think it rude for me to post that I want the cheaper rods! but I also don't want sucky rods or sucky glass either!
Call and talk to JameyLynne at Howaco and tell her what you are looking for. Then you will know exactly what you are getting and the pros and cons of various choices. Or just put in the notes exactly what you said, that you are looking for a good value and not ready for any premium glass. You can trust her judgment.

Old 2011-11-28, 9:29am
Queen Bee

Ditto on Howaco Glass - she is the best!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-11-28, 9:55am
one day at a time

If you want to sell your Devardi salmon or peach opal or any of the transparent pinks, let me know in PM. I won't be able to buy them from you right away but in a week or so.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:15am
Now part of the Dark Side

I just recently got 12 pounds of glass form HOWACO, 10 of that is clear. Her prices are about the best I've found. I've spent the last 16 months making marbles, and nothing too fancy but I can make them round. Personally I love clear glass, and learning how to work Effetre/Moretti clear has been a big learning curve. The nice thing about Effetre is that most of the colors are the same price range as clear (less than $15/pound).
Old 2011-11-28, 11:35am
SCIENCE Teacher!

you might also advertise asking for shorts in the garage sale section
Old 2011-11-28, 6:48pm

Good idea!
Old 2011-11-28, 7:27pm

I agree with ordering from Howaco. The price listed is per rod. It's a great way to try a new color without ordering a pound. You're going to need mostly black, white and ivory and/or dark ivory. These are staples then throw in a rod of this and a rod of that. Like, sky blue, light turquoise, pea green. Order some stringers too. They're cheap and a great way to practice your dots.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-11-28, 7:52pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Howaco has great prices and would be my number 1 recommendation. Also consider Moretti & More and Flame Kissed Glass. Frantz Art Glass has some good sales, as does ABR Imagery.
^^^this!

Frantz is great but I always cringe a little at the shipping when there isn't a big sale. Howaco is awesome because hermper rod price is silly inexpensive which is perfet if you are a newb and want to try one of each. Her shipping is super reasonable and, so far, I have not had a single issues with her service. She's been super accommodating. I am in NO WAY affiliated with her company. I am just really happy with her prices and service. She has a presence here on LE and I have PMd her on here re: questions on my purchase from her store. I am just really happy with her.
Old 2011-11-29, 7:37am

I placed and order with her last night! I am super excited about it! I ordered some different colors and stringers. We previously ordered both a rod and a stringer assortment from Frantz. I feel as though I'll be getting more for less with Howaco, even though Frantz was still good too. I also did the 'Help Me Choose My glass' option, but only $15 worth, and I'm excited to see what I get from that, also!
Old 2011-11-29, 7:45am
one day at a time

She's great in that she keeps up with her stock and her website (Howaco) and if something is out of stock, she marks it as such. No chance of missing items from orders and the disappointment that goes along with it. Gotta love that.

I'm so spoiled to her prices that if I see Effetre glass on any other site and it's higher than $8.00 for a pound for the basic colors, I jump off that site real quick.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-11-29 at 8:00am.
Old 2011-11-29, 11:27am
Triumphantly Knit!

Jamey Lynn at howaco practically held my hand during my first few weeks and pointed me to le.

Ron at Art Glass House has had some good "shorts" deals, some were labeld some not, but he is good to talk to, too.

shipping speed depends on how busy the vendor is and how far away you are. I request flat rate priority boxes, that usually is cheaper and faster but not all vendors will do it.

Welcome and have fun Kadie and Chrystal, the rod warmer will still come in handy.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-11-29, 1:49pm

Oh it does! I can't wait to see what we get! I already forgot what I ordered, so it'll be a surprise for me, as well as Chrystal!
Old 2011-11-29, 4:39pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Frantz is always willing to ship to me using the USPS Medium sized Flat Rate box and often has Free Shipping sales. You can get about 8 pounds of glass in that Flat Rate box for only $10.95. I have to ask for it special though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Frantz is great but I always cringe a little at the shipping when there isn't a big sale.

~
~

#M-191