LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-24, 7:00am

Default short rod holder? where to get one?

Hi I was looking for a short glass rod holder tool of some kind. So you can use up your shorts, last one I saw was $70! That seems like a lot for something so simple? Any other sources for one that is less? Would appreciate any ideas!

One was $35, is there a big quality difference between ones that are cheaper and ones that are more?

Thanks !

-Marie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

myBeadWiki - A growing knowledge base of all things bead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-24, 7:07am
T.J. made me do it

Marie,

Howaco, Arrow Springs and Moretti and More have them for under $20.00.

Julie
Old 2007-06-24, 7:35am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

http://www.merickal.com/index.htm
I have this tool and I use it everytime...
It's not too expensive and very useful!

Old 2007-06-24, 7:47am
Eight Miles Wide

I use the merickal, too. I like it.

Old 2007-06-24, 8:31am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I use hemostats for shorts. Actually I have like 3 of them that are specifically dedicated to this purpose. I use the short 7" looped ones and can easily use up my rods this way. I think they have them at Frantz among other places. Can't remember where I got mine. They cost less than $10. Easy, cheap, and not limited just to this one purpose. I also use these same hemos for holding stringer shorts, for grabbing things that are hot, picking up larger pieces off the hot plate etc. Great tool, not too spendy.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-06-24, 10:05am

Default cheap rod holder

Fits most moretti rods snugly and was less than $2 at Lowes....

Old 2007-06-24, 1:19pm

Teresa,
What is that called - what do I tell them at Lowes that I'm looking for? I don't think they'd get "short rod holder" LOL
Thanks

Old 2007-06-24, 2:05pm

Sorry, just can't remember. It's like a pen vise without the vise and was in the section of the store that had items like hand sanders and dremels.

Old 2007-06-24, 2:24pm
Crazy tool making guy....

It looks like that is a "file handle" and you will find it in the file section of the "tool corral".

-Jeff
Old 2007-06-24, 2:54pm
I think I could be a bead

I use clothespins. You just have to soak them a bit!

Mallory
Old 2007-06-24, 5:00pm

Yeah, clothespins work really well!! The Merickal is also very nice.

Candy

Old 2007-06-24, 5:03pm

I forgot to mention that you'll need to drill a hole down the center to allow enough room for a glass rod.

Candy

Old 2007-06-24, 5:36pm

that Merickal looks sweet
Old 2007-06-24, 8:58pm
Hummel factory reject

Why don't you just attach it to a rod of clear? Or, add it to the end of a new rod of the same color? No tool needed!

Old 2007-06-24, 9:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Why don't you just attach it to a rod of clear? Or, add it to the end of a new rod of the same color? No tool needed!
true that
Old 2007-06-25, 12:32am

I love the Merickal! It's the best short rod holder that I've used.
Old 2007-06-25, 3:52am
Bead Bimbo

I have been using my Merickal's for little over 6 months, and I love them. I have the regular and the stringer-holder.

My blog:

My forum:
Old 2007-06-25, 6:33am
Facebook addict

Quote:

Ditto, this is what I do.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-06-25, 6:38am
The Andrea Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimy View Post
Ditto, this is what I do.
Me three, and I use haemostats, or those spring clips they sell at Home Depot for thirty cents each. Attach the rod to the mandrel, remove clip or haemostat, heat and roll up the short until it's a nice round blob ...

Old 2007-06-27, 2:02am

Default squished shorts

I spent a while when I was a newer newbie trying to find a pair of pliers or such that would grip the round shape of a rod to use up shorts. One day the penny dropped, and now I heat one end of the short, put it on my steel bench top and grab the hot end with my favourite pair of reverse tweezers, so the glass moulds to the shape and is held firmly. If the last bit of the glass blob sticks, I just dunk the tweezers in water.

KMD
Old 2009-09-27, 2:05pm

Default Short Rod Holder

Check out the short rod holder on Ebay made by Tapley.
Darrell
Old 2009-09-27, 2:13pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
That's what I do.

Old 2009-09-27, 5:20pm

I use Hemostats with the tip grooved lengthwise to hold them.

Steve

Old 2009-09-27, 9:22pm

Devardi glass sell a short holder. It looked pretty good and wasn't very expensive either. I will be getting one with my next order to them.

Kym
Old 2009-09-28, 4:29am
Formerly known as LT

I have this one and use it all the time. Well worth the $35.00
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4580

Old 2009-09-29, 4:27pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
Devardi glass sell a short holder. It looked pretty good and wasn't very expensive either. I will be getting one with my next order to them.

Kym
I just saw that too! Looks good to me! They're super sweet people to talk to as well....just had them make me a custom item. http://www.devardiglass.com/glass.htm#SHORTS Scroll down, it's $19. Awesome.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2010-06-16, 12:43am
Glass Attack

Well, how about looking at the "rod holder" carefully.
do you remember as a little kid, you had an electricity set of some kind? well even if you didnt, but know a little about electricity you'll know what im talking about here.
Take a look at some jumper cables, and look at the rod holder. what do you see?...
thats right!
nothing more than glorified alligator clips, with a grooved spot to set your rod, securely holding it, but not "biting" into it. add one extra long handle to act as a mandrel so it can easily spin, and voila! one homemade rod holder. probably a 5$ clip at lowes/home depot/sears, any hobby/tool store. the handle could even be soldered to the clip, just using a mandrel you would be willing to sacrifice.

save that 35$ for some glass, or another tool!

Last edited by HerbalBurn; 2010-06-16 at 12:44am. Reason: wrong word used
Old 2010-06-16, 1:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalBurn View Post
Well, how about looking at the "rod holder" carefully.
do you remember as a little kid, you had an electricity set of some kind? well even if you didnt, but know a little about electricity you'll know what im talking about here.
Take a look at some jumper cables, and look at the rod holder. what do you see?...
thats right!
nothing more than glorified alligator clips, with a grooved spot to set your rod, securely holding it, but not "biting" into it. add one extra long handle to act as a mandrel so it can easily spin, and voila! one homemade rod holder. probably a 5$ clip at lowes/home depot/sears, any hobby/tool store. the handle could even be soldered to the clip, just using a mandrel you would be willing to sacrifice.

save that 35$ for some glass, or another tool!
OOOOOOOOOOOOh! EXCELLENT idea!!!

Old 2010-06-16, 1:21am
Glass Attack

well, i would macgyver my own graphite tools, if raw graphite wasnt so expensive and hard to find.

that, and thats all that rod holder is. just glorififed. hell, add some wire insulation around the mandrel handel for heat protection if it gets hot!
Old 2010-06-16, 1:31am

This is a good rod holder.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48811649...rod-holder-for

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48808884...work-short-rod

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48811238...t-rod-stringer