Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-26, 7:09am
one day at a time

Default What tool can I use for grinding burrs on mandrels?

I want to make my own again but I want a safer way to do it. I've been strapping a hand-held grinder onto a wooden stool with a bungee cord. I was thinking that maybe a corded Dremel would be better and easier to handle. What Dremel tip should I buy?
Old 2013-10-26, 7:44am

A real course sand paper would be cheaper.

-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2013-10-26, 7:50am

Sandpaper will do the job.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-26, 8:05am
what's a senior moment ?

I use the corded dremel with a sandpaper type attachment. Makes the job go very quickly and easy on the back and hands. You can get packages of only the sandpaper part at Lowes, Home Depot or even Walmart and I think they come 4 or more to the package.

Last edited by dla; 2013-10-26 at 8:10am.
Old 2013-10-26, 8:06am

I bought some that had bad burrs and scraped them on the cement! That's free
Old 2013-10-26, 8:10am

I use a few tools to deburr my mandrels depending on size.
The bench grinder for 3/32 and larger.
A 120 grit 3" Ro loc disks in my pistol drill for smaller sizes.
The drill gets mounted in the bench vice.
depending on how many your doing a fine file or emory paper can do the job.

Old 2013-10-26, 8:23am

Oh heck, even an an nail file emery board would work.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-10-26, 8:58am
Artistically Absorbed

Harbor freight has a really cheap mini grinder/buffer combo, and it perfect for jewelry work too. It that has become one of my favorite tools for many jobs.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-10-26, 12:17pm

Emery board
Old 2013-10-26, 1:50pm
one day at a time

Sandpaper and emery boards are fine for a few, but I'm talking hundreds of mandrels. I need to make this many beads and I will be doing that quite often. (712 here in this pic) I must have a LOT of mandrels dipped and ready or I will burn out quick!

As you can imagine, I am very tired of constantly dipping the same 80 mandrels over and over again every time I torch. It's getting really old and it is slowing me down. I hate dipping mandrels anyway.

The pistol drill and disc sander sounds great! I do have some of the sandpaper Dremel bits, so I will try that first. I'm going to cut and smooth the burrs on three pounds of SS 316L, so that will give me approximately 494 mandrels that are 8 inches long, if I have the math right. It might be more, because lately I have been snipping the stamped part off on both ends and I get four 8 inch mandrels that way.
Old 2013-10-26, 2:00pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Harbor freight has a really cheap mini grinder/buffer combo, and it perfect for jewelry work too. It that has become one of my favorite tools for many jobs.
I wasn't even aware there was a smaller version of the standard bench grinder. This is perfect and it's affordable! Thanks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...her-94071.html
Old 2013-10-26, 2:28pm

I also have a Harbor Freight mini grinder and I use it to deburr all my mandrels
Old 2013-10-26, 5:38pm

I rarely have to deburr 1/16" or 3/32" mandrels. A good wire cutter saves a lot of that.

Old 2013-10-26, 5:58pm

I've always cut my own mandrels with bolt cutters and have never deburred any of them. Your bead release is going to be thicker than any little burr that is left.

Kari
Old 2013-10-26, 6:33pm
one day at a time

I use a Smircich tail stock holder and there has to be no burrs. Not even a little bit, or the action is not smooth when I turn the mandrels in the tail stock holder. A bolt cutter makes a rougher cut than a pair of fencing pliers does. I use fencing pilers and it cuts on a angle, or rather, it "snaps" instead of cutting. Still needs to be ground down to an evenly rounded end to work in my tool.

I don't leave the bead release on the ends because if I do, it makes a flaky mess all over my work surface when I turn the mandrels in my tail stock holder. I use pliers and run a quick turn on the end to remove the bead release about 1/4 inch from the tip right back into the jar. Learned that from James Smircich, the one who designed the tail stock holder I use.
Old 2013-10-27, 4:21am

For short money this would work for you.

It can be found at the link below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-g...aft-43533.html

Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-27, 7:17am

The abrasive wheels will quickly develop grooves that need to be removed with a special tool.
The gap between the tool rest and the stone should be kept very small, the manual should have instructions on how to adjust the gap and what the gap should be set at.
grinders and buffers can cause problems if not used safely, so tie back long hair and keep your sleeves away from the tool.

Old 2013-10-27, 8:37am
Katherine

Right now Harbor Frt has an on-line coupon code for 25% off. The code is 43280812

Old 2013-10-27, 8:52am
one day at a time

One with a flex shaft, that's even better! Thanks!
Old 2013-10-27, 8:55am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
Right now Harbor Frt has an on-line coupon code for 25% off. The code is 43280812
With the coupon code and shipping, it's only $33.23! Big thanks to you too! Getting paid tomorrow, so I'll get it now so I'll have it whenever I go take that trip to the welding shop.