Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-04-08, 6:41pm

Default need help with ivory blush & purple cream soda

I recently ordered GA Ivory Blush and Purple Cream Soda, and I can't seem to get any color out of either one except yellow and sometimes orange. I've tried encasing them, not encasing them, oxy flame, reducing flame,.. Can anyone give me advice on how to make these work? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-09, 12:47pm
Gay rights R human rights

Heat, and more heat. Then heat some more.....you get the drift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-04-09, 12:59pm
Fire and Fluidity

The ivory blush needs to he heated until its clear in order to strike. I generally remix it, then when it is used it will kiln strike. I get nice deep pinks out of it that way.
The purple cream soda seems to stay looking like cream soda, but with some torch settings you will get a surface haze, which I guess is the "purple" part.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2009-04-09, 4:31pm
Boro Brat

In my experience, the more I work the ivory blush, the better it gets. I always heat the crap out of everything when I make a cane anyway, but it's a perfect color for sculpture in my experience. The more you beat it up, the better it gets. I haven't tried encasing it. I rarely encase anything

Old 2009-04-09, 7:08pm

thanks everyone. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 2009-04-10, 10:14am

I am ready to toss that purple cream soda. I've read everything here and more and all I ever get is yellow. It frustrates me, but I keep trying anyhow.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-04-10, 10:31am
Redhot Torch Mama

I know the feeling, Tracey -- I've tried everything under the sun and only gotten yellow out of it!!

Old 2009-04-12, 6:18am

What torch oxy set up are you guys using?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-04-12, 8:20am

Tanked O2 and propane with a minor. Got tips? Hope?
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-04-12, 9:51am

No I haven't work this too much. Its been awhile. I was trying to picture whether the color was haze or if it was the color of the glass that you are getting out. Have you tried heating it until it is clear and then striking it in the kiln?

If yellow is the color you are get from striking the glass when the color hasn't struck all the way. I am wondering if you raised your kiln temperature another 25 or 50 degrees if you would get more of a strike.

This was cut and pasted from GA's striking information page.

"As they grow they will create a yellow color. In order of increasing size, the silver crystals will become orange, ruby red, red-purple, purple, blue then green."

Here is a link to the page.
http://www.glassalchemy.com/index.ph...-manual/page-3

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2009-04-12 at 10:02am.
Old 2009-04-12, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertracey View Post
I am ready to toss that purple cream soda. I've read everything here and more and all I ever get is yellow. It frustrates me, but I keep trying anyhow.
Same here!

Old 2009-04-12, 1:53pm

Hmm I am going out to the garage. I will pull some out and that purple color I said I would a month ago..... lololol

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-04-12, 11:06pm

Well, this is how purple cream soda did for me... and I struck this pupply AT LEAST 20x since I did not want a dead looking flower.

You DO see the purple haze on the outside of the petals, but I'm pretty darn sure that's as good as it gets. I think there's still a lot of use for this glass... just not the use I put it to.
Attached Images

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-04-12, 11:19pm

The purple is surface haze. You get that by keeping the glass clean while you are working it and then using a reducing flame at the end to get the metals to come to the surface.

For most silver colors
I would do two strikes with to get a surface strike.

Make bead or whatever let cool.
I would use a neutral flame to not "burn out" the metals
Then bathe in reducing flame to get metals to come to surface.
Then let cool again
Then strike lighting softly to get the colors on the metals to bloom!

I didn't get to play today... KIDS and Easter... lolol

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-04-13, 4:21am

I agree it may have a use somewhere, but mine is full of bubbles that I don't care for.

Old 2009-04-13, 10:55am

Oh... and btw, the Ivory Blush is GORGEOUS. Kiln striking will get it to go pinker and pinker.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-04-14, 9:37am

I worked with two small things yesterday with Ivory Blush. It appears to work like Jaspar Red. I don't know (didn't look) what is in it as far as metals.
Jaspar Red will get darker and darker as you work it.
If you reheat it several times it gets darker.

Surface work gave me a pretty blush pink color.
Encased it was lighter blush color.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-04-17, 11:40am

If either of these colors don't come out the way I want, I leave them in the kiln to ramp up and down the next couple of cycles and it gets better each time.

Old 2009-04-17, 3:21pm

Well, there's a thought. I'd sworn off the PCS, but I may try that.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-04-21, 8:31pm

I made a quick (UGLY!! LOLOL) pendant with Ivory Blush and the new Violet Hue combined. I will stick it in the kiln a couple of times to see what else it does! Might be fun to see!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-05-14, 9:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandErin View Post
If either of these colors don't come out the way I want, I leave them in the kiln to ramp up and down the next couple of cycles and it gets better each time.
that's a really good idea! I am going to try that with Warm Yellow. I can never get that stuff to strike and have had trouble with Ivory blush too
Old 2009-05-17, 8:23am
The Venerable Bead

getting the bead white hot and then holding PCS at 1150 for 45 minutes gets it to strike like this for me
Attached Images

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2009-05-17, 8:50am

Ohh... nice coloring Paula!!!

I may pop that fugly flower back in the kiln and strike it a few more times to see what happens.... it would be much better if it were that color! I'm assuming that there is no white/black/anyopaque core in your bead right?

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-05-18, 7:59am
The Venerable Bead

no it's just pcs but white as a core works well too!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's