Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-06-26, 6:25pm

Smile GA fuchsia fantasy and old skool caramel luster

Available on Glass Alchemy's website right now........
Old 2009-06-26, 6:30pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Curse you...and your little dog too....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-26, 6:39pm
Young at Heart

I got some! I can't wait to try it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joanna ........
Etsy Shop

Boro Ho, Nortel Midrange, 2 Tanks of Oxygen
, A Chillipepper,Nikon D40 and the 2 Cats!
Old 2009-06-26, 6:57pm
Borovangelist

where? the rev 33 link on their site is a bust

|
|
Old 2009-06-26, 7:45pm

Default link

http://glassalchemy.com/cart/index.p...9604ffb5cd9769
Old 2009-06-26, 8:05pm
Borovangelist

found it The 33 link on the left is broken. The one along the top worked!

|
|
Old 2009-06-30, 6:25am
ManBearPig

Not long ago they told us that the new Caramel Luster was the same thing as the old formula, but looked different because of the new manufacturing process. Hmm... interesting...

I personally don't care for the new Caramel Luster at all. It doesn't work nearly as well as the old version.

Old 2009-06-30, 3:24pm
Serenity Now!

Whaaaat??!? NO more Caramel Luster??!?!? Huh? What's up with that...
What a big bummer, and a let-down...

Thanks for the heads-up Chad, seems I'll have to go on rations...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2009-06-30, 10:05pm
Flamewoman

Huh?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-07-01, 5:19am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
Whaaaat??!? NO more Caramel Luster??!?!? Huh? What's up with that...
What a big bummer, and a let-down...

Thanks for the heads-up Chad, seems I'll have to go on rations...
They still make it. But the new one works differently. In the old formula, the rod looked like Silver Strike 3 in cold form. The new one is almost clear.

Old 2009-07-23, 7:53pm

yea the new type is horrible. i wish more people would complain so they would switch it back
Old 2009-07-29, 9:17am
boro color bender

I've tested about 5 batches of Caramel Luster. They are listening... they know it got fubared... they were trying. The last batch was much better, but still not like the old stuff. I guess they are happy with it being closer. It's a pretty color. Pops purples... just not the cool saturated color I really liked. Who knows... maybe everybody will be happy with it. I just wasn't comfortable signing off and saying it is like the old stuff.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-07-29, 11:20am
ManBearPig

What was wrong with the old color that they felt like they needed to change it?

Old 2009-07-29, 11:23am
boro color bender

Henry says all he did was up the batch temps... sooooo, you're guess is as good as mine. Seems to me if that were the only change, fixing it wouldn't take this long... the old rods look to be a lot more saturated. With the spike in silver prices, my guess is the amount of silver used changed too, but that's just a guess from an end user.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-07-29, 3:00pm

Ithought it would be very helpful for GA to tell people that there colors have been changed even if it was a temp change in the melting process. When you increase the tepms in the furnace you also change the formula because different chemical will melt different and thus change the color. We tryed this a few years ago and to make the same color we had to add way more chemicals to make it the same color but we thought it was not worth it do to the costs involved, and the colors we tryed this with were already great colors. I used some of GA's color a few months ago and I felt the same way something had changed over the last year, the colors seemed watered down. This is just my opion and has nothing to do with me being involved with Northstar. I have been a lamper for 13 years and was one of GA's first distributors. I hope they figure this out soon because I have a project that needs Purplr Luster and Persimmion Strike, like the old stuff. If I was them I would have released new colors instead of changing the old stuff.
Abe
Old 2009-07-29, 4:05pm
Serenity Now!

Hey Abe ~ I've got two words for you: White Satin

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2009-07-30, 3:57am
boro color bender

I've been asking for the same thing Val... in person even!

So Abe, are you gonna make that for us? Nudge nudge.

Old 2009-08-04, 10:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
Ithought it would be very helpful for GA to tell people that there colors have been changed even if it was a temp change in the melting process. When you increase the tepms in the furnace you also change the formula because different chemical will melt different and thus change the color. We tryed this a few years ago and to make the same color we had to add way more chemicals to make it the same color but we thought it was not worth it do to the costs involved, and the colors we tryed this with were already great colors. I used some of GA's color a few months ago and I felt the same way something had changed over the last year, the colors seemed watered down. This is just my opion and has nothing to do with me being involved with Northstar. I have been a lamper for 13 years and was one of GA's first distributors. I hope they figure this out soon because I have a project that needs Purplr Luster and Persimmion Strike, like the old stuff. If I was them I would have released new colors instead of changing the old stuff.
Abe
i agree. I wasted a bunch of money on the new caramel luster , buying it from different distributors thinking I just got a weird batch. Couple pounds later I find out it changed and the new stuff is worthless - can't use it for anything.
I bought some of the old skool stuff off Rev 33 and it is better but definitely not the true old skool dark caramel luster that we love!