Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-06-21, 1:22pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Lorraine, thats exactly why I want seperate building!
Old 2011-06-22, 9:45am
Salt Box Beads

Yes Pia, Insurance can be a real problem especially here in California unless you get all of your ducks in a row. LOL My sis lives in Houston and she was surprised when she moved there to find Texas has as many laws as California and they are even more strict in some areas but the laws made more sense to her and she considers herself a Texan now and will NEVER move back to ca.

Well It was 105 yesterday ( it's 9:30 and it is almost 90 degrees) so it will be even higher today so we are concentrating on unpacking our living room full of boxes from clearing out our storage unit. We have two more trips for boxes and then the rest is big stuff like furniture.
That will save us 140.00 a month.

I am going through all of the cards on the table and sorting them to put into the office. It is also a nice shot of the patio doors off the dining area. I will walk out the patio door and about 15 feet to my left will be my new studio shed!!!

Almost every room in the house is a mess. You don't even wanna see the kitchen.
How come I have to make such big messes to clean up?

So, sorry peeps no shed pics today or tomorrow as it will be hot also but after that we have a cool down to the mid and low 90's which we can tolerate for most of the day except in the hottest part of the afternoon.

Dear hubby will be called back to work in a week or so but we really want to get the shed up so at least I can start to work on laying out the inside for the electrical, exhaust, flooring, insulation etc. lots to do still even after it is up.

Will post more pics as soon as we have some.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-24, 10:58am
Salt Box Beads

The stepping stones are going in. It is a very hard place to put them into because of all of the curves but DH has a plan. More pictures when he is finished with it.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-24, 3:03pm

Yeah for solar lights!!! Can't wait to see more pictures! The progress you are making is wonderful. I started reading your blog too!

Last edited by New2glassgal; 2011-06-24 at 3:05pm.
Old 2011-06-24, 5:57pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
Yeah for solar lights!!! Can't wait to see more pictures! The progress you are making is wonderful. I started reading your blog too!
Thank you Marti Ann! I guess between here and my blog you will get the best coverage of local events...LOL

I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to copy and post so I always change it up.

I am starting to be a fanatic with the solar lights! Those darn things are addictive.
Old 2011-06-24, 10:45pm
><>

Lorraine, what size is your studio going to be?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-06-24, 11:04pm
Salt Box Beads

The finished size inside is about 7' X 10'3"

It's going to hold just my bench, a gorilla shelf full of glass, peg board with all of my frit blends and tools, 2 metal book shelves and a dresser.

I sure hope I can fit it all in
Old 2011-06-25, 5:39pm

Checking in again, and smiling at your progress! We are also cleaning out our storage unit which will save us $150.00 a month. Working on clearing out stuff in the house - have all kinds of stuff going to the thrift store. If my husband doesn't get a job soon I'm really not sure what will happen, but having less stuff will make it less complicated.

Keep up the great work!
Old 2011-06-25, 6:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Shari, we are in the same boat. Today was payday and DH usually gets 3000-4500.00 Today..NADA and next payday on the 10th, maybe 3 or 4 days work. So we have to get everything out of storage by the 1st. and count our pennies.

My house was a disaster but today I actually have all of the boxes unpacked and the guest room is clean! Whew! The dining room table is clean..Whew. But thats it. All the rest of the house is still in chaos.

Prayers for a job for your hubby soon and energy and strength to get your storage cleared out.

We are going early tomorrow and will load up our 7x16 cargo trailer with all of the big stuff left in storage. It will just have to stay in the trailer until we decide what to do with it.

We have so many irons in the fire right now we just have to take one day at a time.

(((hugs)))
Old 2011-06-25, 9:44pm
Salt Box Beads

I wanted to take a pic of my table all clean! I love it clean. Here are two pics of how the studio will set on top of the stepping stones. DH marked it out with his chalk line but we couldn't see it very well as it was orange.

Have a terrific Sunday everyone!
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-25, 9:50pm

So that's what a table looks like! Haven't seen mine in a while. DH is in extra bedroom taking queen size bed apart, putting new mattress and box springs in protective bags and leaning them up against the wall. We will then be unloading the back of the truck into the room so we can reload it again. AARRGGHH......

Lather, rinse, repeat!
Old 2011-06-26, 3:35pm

Lorraine, Lovin the progress! I wish I was there to help you do some work. I love physical work. Today I had hubby sand the fascia around the pool house (yes, its so cool here, we have to have our pools indoors.... lol... ridiculous!), and then I primed them all. Maybe working in the heat will be a little more difficult and paced, but slow as she goes is a good motto!
Hoping the house sells soon, so I can get over there and we can brainstorm and create and go to gatherings and such....
Keep up the good work.... oh, and the solar lights and umbrella looks so nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-26, 4:21pm
Salt Box Beads

Well, we got the storage emptied out today. It only took us two hours because we drew up a plan on paper on how to fit it all into the trailer and what order it went in.

We were soaked with sweat and couldn't wait to get home.

Shari hows it going with you? I keep sending good vibes your way and thinking about you.

Dawn, when I lived in Santa Cruz (15 years) I was very active. Not so here, only in the winter and during the summer only very early and then very late after the sun sets. Redding is cooler and if you get north it is even cooler so you should be in heaven there. I can't wait for you to get moved and all settled in!!! During midday we siesta, something I learned from living in New mexico or watch movies or do house work.

I do have to take back the offer of using our trailer though..it is stuffed with everything left from storage now. Sorry. But I still have my truck and it tows over 10000 pounds so if you need me just holler. It can easily tow an open or closed trailer or a horse trailer etc.
Old 2011-06-27, 4:46pm
MacGalver

Lorraine, where did you live in NM? You are so right about the summers..... you just can't work outside in the heat of the day.... at least not for very long!

Jo

Old 2011-06-27, 5:23pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Jo, I was blessed to live in Silver City for 5 years! It sure was different than Cali. I learned right away about high elevation cooking, I called my mom up crying because I am an excellent cook and all of a sudden I couldn't even bake cookies.

I started going through bottles of lotion, in California a bottle would last me 6 months. I learned to wear a mans shirt during the summer and dunk it in watering troughs and wear it wet to keep from burning at that elevation when riding or working outside. Usually only took ten minutes for me to burn and I have been a California beach/lake tanner all my life, I am also native american and I burned in SC!!!

I learned about lack of oxygen...elk crossing, owned several hot blooded horses for endurance riding, learned about all sorts of bugs and critters. I learned to never leave clothes or shoes unchecked before putting them on.
Don't ask! Suffice it to say I did the fastest strip on record that day.

I miss the aroma of the fresh roasted chilis from the chili roasters out in front of the grocery store the most.

I really really enjoyed living there! If you live there enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 2011-07-02, 8:19am
Salt Box Beads

Unhappy Quick update No Pics Sorry.

Dh is coming home this morning from a drill site he has been on near The Buttes but then he is being sent down south 350 miles away to San Ardo area.

When they send him that far away they like to keep him for awhile, usually 3-4 weeks or longer. This is why our life style is ummm, very interrupted, he misses holidays, anniversaries and special days most of the time.

We can never really plan anything except when they say okay your through for a few weeks but by then we can't take any vacations or do anything more than a few days long because all of the property chores have backed up to the point my poor DH has to spend most of his time home just catching up.

I would do them but most are things he doesn't want me doing because it is with HIS power tools etc..LOL So be it. I help where I can.

So the shed will be on hold for quite a while, at least through two to three weeks of July. But I promise I will post as soon as we start again.

Enjoy the fourth of July, We will because he made it HOME for a holiday!!

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-07-02 at 1:52pm.
Old 2011-07-02, 8:36am
Loving learning

His power tools, I can relate! DH was working as soon as the winds dropped to 50 after a hurricane, and had locked up his chain saw (that I bought him) so I got out there with an ax instead, LOL!
Old 2011-07-02, 8:37am
Loving learning

Good, enjoy the time together, make some fireworks!
Old 2011-07-02, 6:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Eileen, I think we will take you up on that since they are banned we will just have to make our own...LOL
Old 2011-07-05, 3:26pm
Salt Box Beads

For updates on my studio build please visit my blog here: http://rainingbeads.blogspot.com/

I am trying to conserve time and energy and only want to post about my studio in one place from now on and I chose my blog.

Thanks everyone and I hope you stay tuned to the blog. I try to update it at least 3-4 times a week.

Take Care
Lorraine
Old 2011-08-04, 1:34pm
Salt Box Beads

Update: My poor DH was finally released and able to come home yesterday.
They ended up sending him all the way to Long Beach! He was gone for a month!

He is exhausted and has so much of his own yard work to catch up on ( stuff he won't let do) I don't think he will get to the shed this time home.

He is supposed to go back on the 15th for a two month run. That puts us into late October in the fall for the shed build.

I will keep updates posted. This could be very frustrating if I wasn't keeping myself busy.
Old 2011-08-06, 9:03am

You'll get it done, Lorrainne. It will be awesome when it happens. Took us , awhile too. But when we finished , I love it. It was worth the wait.
Cann't wait to see the pictures. Keep us posted.I'm excited for you.
Janet C.
Old 2011-08-16, 5:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Janet. I know you are right but it sure helps to hear it anyways.

It was 105 today and has been very hot here so dear hubby hasn't been able to really do much yet, but he did rearrange all of the pavers. Hopefully it will cool down soon???

He needed the smaller pavers on the back side where it curves as they are easier to cut and fit into small and curved places so he rearranged all of the pavers. No easy task as they are heavy!

I have several new pics on my blog. I have a link to my blog in my siggy.

Moral of this story is:
Set up your studio in an area without curves because it makes it a whole lot more difficult!
Old 2011-08-19, 11:15pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking Pavers done!

DH finished putting down the pavers today. You can see and read about it on my blog.
Old 2011-08-23, 7:26pm
Salt Box Beads

The polymeric sand worked great. It hardened up just like concrete. We have the shed out of the box now and DH is getting ready to build the wood frame for the floor. Pics on my blog.
Old 2011-09-14, 8:45am
Salt Box Beads

Default Quick update

I tell ya, I am learning patience big time. My poor DH has been sent back to southern ca. for TWO months of a series of wells. We are so happy he is working.

He should be back home just before Thanksgiving so it looks like I will have a new shed for my Christmas present. I am missing him so much, I can't imagine how the young newlyweds and young mothers manage when their hubbies are sent off to serve our country.

I am still blogging about lots of other things and trying out new craft things so you are all welcome to stop by. I will be posting about the shed as soon as anything happens so stay tuned.
Old 2011-10-18, 7:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Shed is going up!

DH finally has time to get to the shed and is putting it up. Here are a few pics and the whole story is on my blog. The shed will NOT be my lampworking shed

But something much better happened today. If you want to know all about it just read my blog...
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-18, 8:12pm
i'm not dave

i ask that you put your blog info in the body of the post for those of us who have sigs turned off. thanks!
Old 2011-10-18, 10:29pm
Salt Box Beads

You can turn off sigs??? Okay, here ya go.

http://rainingbeads.blogspot.com/
Old 2011-10-21, 10:08am
Salt Box Beads

I will still be adding pics of the vinyl shed build for those who want to see it go up.

DH finished leveling the ground, laying down the wire then plastic and then gravel over that for under the shed.

We have gophers so bad here that the wire is the only thing that really works. Here is what has been done so far. The middle cross support beams he is laying now. The first row has been nailed in place.

This is the third terrace on the property and is rather narrow so we just had the one metal shed there. If DH likes the vinyl shed he will tear down the old metal one and put another vinyl one up so they will be back to back. That will give him lots of storage and fix his one complaint about storage sheds and NO head room. He will love having 7 foot tall garden sheds!

I see that I got one of the neighbors windows framed perfectly in one of the pics...LOL

More pics tonight I hope...
Attached Images