Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-08, 8:39am
Ad astra per aspera

Default Elvis Rocks My World (Boro!)

I bought a rod of a wonderful new color in Tucson. It's Elvis by Glass Alchemy. It's beautiful!!!! Deep, rich red (almost black if you go too heavy with it). I think it's probably better suited for blowing than lampwork, but pulled out into stringer or used as a very thin encasing, it's great! I tried some over a test bead with Disco Sparkle and it really pops.

GA also has a new white that's making me happy.....minimal boiling and it's easily workable. I got samples of a powder blue and a deep rich lapis blue, too, but haven't played with them yet.

I also got a new 31-hole hush tip for my premix. OMG, where has this been all my life!!!! It takes a bit of adjusting at first, but once it's set, it's a sweet, big, hot flame!

Gotta work out today, then I'm back to give my torch a workout. Yeehaw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-15, 10:54pm
borobucaneer

I think elvis is made by elvis, I could be wrong
Old 2006-03-16, 2:39am
Save the Numbats

Elvis is made by Glass Hawk, which is Paul Trautman, founder and ex-owner of Northstar.
It's hand mixed. And yes, it's most groovy. It's the way ruby used to be in the mid 90's before it became the mass produced kiln striking stuff, which is nice in it's own way.
You can get the Elvis in three shades. The darkest makes a good black, actually. 'Black Elvis' sounds really cool, also.
NS Pomegranate is good too; it is a little less expensive.

The new GA white is great, but NS Star White and NCC (Parasilicate) White are still pretty darn good. PLus, the vey first rod I tried of Sno White was full of air like a hell dog on a stick so I was kind of disappointed. However, the next one I tried was good, every color can have weird air in it now and then after all, and it does have some superior qualities to the other whites so I'm pleased with it.
Old 2006-03-16, 7:02am
ManBearPig

Yeah. I got a pound of Sno White not long ago. It seemed like two or three of the rods had so much air they were unusable, but the others worked great. Oh well, it's still a new color, so I'm sure there is some refining to do. I don't use much white anyways...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.