Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-24, 4:22pm

Default Boro Frit Questions

I have four questions:

First, what mesh size do you usually order colored boro frit in? I am thinking of mainly using it as a backing color for pendants and such.

Second, what is a good clear frit size for using over Triple Passion or DAP so that you get that "mottled" effect?

Third, what are your favorite boro frits?

Fourth, what are your least favorite boro frits? (Sounds better than asking which frit really stinks.)

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 2006-02-24, 4:50pm
Melting for Glass!

Hi,

I just started using frit and like the small size, but I do use it on the top and not on the bottom.

I love double amber purple and butterscotch. Also Amazon Bronze is very cool.
If you get the Cookbook of Color Borosilicate by Lori Robbins and Roccio Bearer you will get a TON of examples of pendants using frit.

Hope this helps

Cecilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-24, 9:05pm
The Venerable Bead

my favorite frits
small butterscotch
large yellow
large amber purple
small ruby
small blue moon
blue carmel powder
small triple passion
large cobalt
large amazon bronze
small double amber purple

for clear I have small and large

for backgrounds on pendants use a thin rod of cobalt or dark cobalt and spiral it behind the implosion and melt flat.
I haven't found a frit I hate yet. although I thought aroura was going to be alot nicer than it is and dark multi isn't all that either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-02-24, 9:08pm

Eric,
For beads and pendants, I mostly use the mesh size 25 and 38 size from GA. Both the small and large frits from Northstar are good too. I use the larger size over the purples to get the mottled effect, just because it results in more purple and less haze.
My favorite frits are Silver Strike 5, Green Exotic, Red Exotic, Amazon Lagoon, Amazon Bronze, Aurora, and clear.
My least favorite are the crayons but they have their uses. They don't stink, I just like to use frits that result in alot of crystal growth.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-02-25, 3:41am
boro color bender

I use NS fine frit for backing... it's perfect for the job. Love turbo cobalt and Blue Moon... but I have a ton of other colors I use all the time too.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-02-25 at 6:05am.
Old 2006-02-25, 8:39am
ManBearPig

I use all kinds of different sizes, depending on what I'm doing. Medium is pretty standard, but I use large for implosions and such, and use small and powder to cover large areas.

Old 2006-02-25, 9:18am

Ok, thanks for the info. One more question. Since it is so expensive, what size containers do you usually get? Can you do a lot of pendants with a 4 or 8 oz container?

Man, I am going to have to sell my bullseye to afford all this stuff.

Eric
Old 2006-02-25, 11:41am

Until you figure out what you are really fond of, you could get the 4 oz containers. They do last a long time for just beads/pendants.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-03-15, 2:18pm
Save the Numbats

I like all the GA polychromatics, but thats just my taste or style.
Amazon Night, Aquatic Carnival, Amazon Lagoon, Indigo Luster
plus the silver colors - Silver Strike 5, Triple Passion, Purple Luster
Cherry wood is good also.
I keep these around in 25, 38 and 70 sizes.
Yes, you can do a ton of pendants with the 4 oz... if you get a 16 it will be around a long time. I used to love the 8 size... sniff... til it was canceled.
For NS, Green Amber Purple, Double Amber Purple, Star White and Orange are the ones I use the most.
Old 2006-03-16, 9:44am

Give this a try. Great colors... good prices
http://eplanetglass.com/MomkaFrit/frit-momka.htm