No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-12-15, 6:52pm
Pyromaniac

Excellent news. . .

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-15, 8:41pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
Speaking of fans and ventilation...

Today I tried torching with my new setup. I opened the window and put a 20" box fan on the window sill facing outward and turned it on high. Before I even lit the torch, I did the incense trick. I lit a stick and held it over the torch head at the angle the flame would come out. The smoke from the incense went straight towards the fan and out the window. So for curiosities sake, I moved the incense back behind the torch, same thing, out the window. And then I moved it from the right of the torch to the left and either direction I went the smoke still went out the window.

I know its still not sufficient, and I will work on a vent hood in the future, but for now it seems to be working.
I did the same thing when I installed my ventilation system, but I had different results with the torch lit, it seemed to create different air currents. Light your torch and see if you can smell the incense.

Old 2008-12-16, 8:24am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I did the same thing when I installed my ventilation system, but I had different results with the torch lit, it seemed to create different air currents. Light your torch and see if you can smell the incense.
I could.... I keep my mandrels stuck in a block of floral foam, and when I was done with the incense, I just stuck the end of it in the floral foam and let it keep going while I torched. It kept almost a direct patch to the fan the entire time I was torching. The only time it varied is if a strong gust of wind blew back INTO the window.

Old 2008-12-16, 9:35am
jessica barksdale

that's great, christopher. keep in mind, however, that the contaminants coming from the torch/glass are much heaver than incense smoke, so your system might be less effective than it appears with an incense test. keep improving as you can, it sounds like your making adjustments as necessary. a respirator still might be a good idea if you start to feel icky.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-16, 9:48am
just quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by debezog View Post
Just saw this fan. Price is great. What do you all think??http://www.marylandhydroponics.com/acshpoblexfa.html
Deb, that is very similar to the ones that I have. I got them from a local HVAC guy for about the same price. Mine weren't wired though...(I wouldn't have wanted it anyway)
I put mine in the attic too. It really helps with the sound and was the most effective way for me to vent.

Little Dragon 21/Betta, tanked O2/NG
Old 2008-12-16, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca View Post
that's great, christopher. keep in mind, however, that the contaminants coming from the torch/glass are much heaver than incense smoke, so your system might be less effective than it appears with an incense test. keep improving as you can, it sounds like your making adjustments as necessary. a respirator still might be a good idea if you start to feel icky.
Yeah, I haven't ruled out the respirator yet, and still looking at them. Course at the current time, I dont have anything to worry about. It too dang COLD to open the windows anyway...

Old 2008-12-16, 1:19pm
Life is change. Love it

Oh come on!! Last night when I was torching I got to the point that my hands were so frozen I couldn't turn the mandrel anymore! That's cold!

Old 2008-12-16, 1:19pm
jessica barksdale

LOL carolyn

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-16, 1:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Oh come on!! Last night when I was torching I got to the point that my hands were so frozen I couldn't turn the mandrel anymore! That's cold!
YOU my friend.... are truly addicted! I HATE HATE HATE being cold!

Old 2008-12-24, 9:04am

Unhappy box fans

Just F.Y.I. from someone who thought there box fan in the window system was adequate. I used the same set up for some time. I started feeling ill. I finally went and had a heavy metals test done and had a significant amount of metals circulating in my body. Number one being lead.
All I can say from experience is that it cost me a small fortune(apprx. $1300.)
to get cleaned up. And a decent, affordable, ventilation system would have cost me about $300 to set it up right.
So you decide...It is better to be safe than sorry. And an ounce of prevention can save you money in the longrun.

I wish someone would have jumped on me back when I started. Consider yourself lucky that L.E. is here for you to get pointers and be safe from those of us who know.

Your friend in beads

Elizabeth
Old 2008-12-25, 12:02pm

Default Check out ART GLASS ANSWERS Forum

Hi Christopher,

Unless I missed it, doesn't look like folks suggested you visit

http://www.artglassanswers.com

It's a great site for all kinds of saftey and set-up related info. I'd go to the trouble of getting a log-in account so that you can see the entire site, including photos and drawings.

Since you were considering an enclosure, anyway, if you look under Studio and Ventilation, there is a thread on an inexpensive fume-hood style ventilation enclosure you might find useful. One of the variations discussed incorporates a box fan in a window, very similar to your present set-up. Looks like you could easily build this enclosure around your currently installed fan and add yet the next level of safety to your present temporary configuration for a very modest cost (foam board and tape for less than $25??). It also looks like you could add this to your current set up in less than a couple of hours - looks really easy. That said, I would encourage you to upgrade to a better fan/installation system just as soon as you can, as other folks have recommended. I've run across mention that outside winds/breezes can sometimes cause back-air flow with the box fan-in-window approach, which would obviously defeat the purpose.

The thread mentions incorporating a baffle at the top. If you can possibly afford it, I would make this out of plexiglass or regular glass, whatever you can afford, so that you can see through it and have it extend low enough to use as a face shield. This will give you even more protection against fumes.

The only downside about the idea in this thread the fact that the foam board is flamable. There are ideas posted to make it safer that I'm sure you'll want to consider, similar to some of the advice posted here. If you're handy and have a few basic woodworking tools, you might want to make this out of plywood, instead. The cost to build should be similar.

If you search the Art Glass Answers, LE, WetCanvas and ISGB forums, you should find lots of ideas for other good, inexpensive enclosures, wood and otherwise, like the one proposed above and some of the ideas in this thread. Michael Barley, a fabulous artist, has what looks like a very good design for one. If you want to search for it, I think I've seen it called the Barley Box.

Best of luck to you
Linda
Old 2008-12-25, 2:46pm

After I took a bead-making class I was instantly hooked and couldn't wait to start making my own beads. I patiently waited for two agonizing years until my studio with proper ventilation was built before making my first bead. Your health should be your highest priority and a ventilation system without a hood won't catch all the fumes.