Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-09, 2:01pm
what's a senior moment ?

Default Boro Question

Maybe a dumb question but can you use Thompson Enamels on the surface, not melted in ?
Thanks,
Debbie A.
Old 2006-03-09, 2:29pm
Old enough to know better

You can't use the 9000 series because that's for 104 COE glass. Even on the surface, the difference it too much. I'm pretty sure there is a different series (8000 perhaps?) that's made for boro. I think...

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-09, 2:46pm
boro color bender

Never tried... might be cool, so give it a shot. I'd say it's probably incompatible... but salt probably isn't the right COE and I use that as a surface treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 2:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Never tried... might be cool, so give it a shot. I'd say it's probably incompatible... but salt probably isn't the right COE and I use that as a surface treatment.
Didn't I read someplace here that salt can be dangerous when vaporized? Come to think about it...it was in a thread about Mr. Smiley's salt treatment. Haven't tried it yet and I'm sure it's the wrong COE. I'll check around about the Thompson enamels.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-09, 2:55pm

Ooops... Thompson makes an 83 COE enamel (for float glass) and a 90 COE enamel and a 104 COE enamel, but no 33 COE enamel. In that case, give your enamel a try and let us know how it works!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-09, 2:57pm
In search of her path....

I tried Tink Dust on boro uh that was interesting lol....does this crackle effect on the outside but if you drop the piece the pieces pop right off. Id imagine the enamele would do the same thing unless there was a really low COE version.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-09, 3:02pm

Come to think of it...why not use boro powdered glass or frits? Isn't powdered glass pretty much like enamel? I know there is a difference, I just don't know what it is. The color palette is more limited than it is for rods, but there is still a lot available.

I think you can use Lunaris dust if you want your beads to glow in the dark...

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-09, 3:54pm
In search of her path....

I use frits and powders alot I love em you can make your own frit too a coffee grinder is great for that!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-09, 3:59pm
what's a senior moment ?

Ok, everyone Thanks very much for all the info ! I tried some frit instead of enamel. Just on the end of the ball so we shall see ! This is my very first try at boro and I'm lovin' it !
Debbie A.
Old 2006-03-09, 4:10pm
boro color bender

Well, soft glass frit will definitely not be compatible. If you could get away with anything, it would be the powder is very small amounts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 4:47pm
what's a senior moment ?

Well, here it is ! lol ! lol ! Fried it pretty good for sure ! lol ! It's orange and it's only melted on the surface. No annealing either. So, it's just ugly ! lol ! Experimentation, fun stuff ! lol ! Will try the enamels tomorrow !
Debbie A.