Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-21, 8:44am

Default TAG Experimentals

Anyone else working through a box of these? Thought it would be nice to pull info on these into one thread as a reference. Here are a few from me. Marble on the left is OG A/P exp #628. Marble on the right is Double Mai Tai. Both worked primarily in an oxidizing flame with some reduction mixed in. #628 wanted to stay opaque no matter how I worked it but I love the result. Lots of subtle color that the photo doesnt capture. Both were struck in the torch.
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-21, 9:06am

Those are really nice! I didn't get either of those or the box. I like the 628!
These are plain Pink experimental. The usual bubbly transparent but it's a very nice happy, bright pink color. And the green beads have a bit of Mighty Moss. I didn't want to push it, it's encase/impode at your own risk I believe but they came through great and they were garaged for about 4 hours. I really like the Mighty Moss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-21, 9:25am

There was a thread for the Box of Mystery but it's dropped to several pages back.

Thanks for starting a new one and resurrecting some of the results. I love the eye candy.

Rebecca ... those green beads are gorgeous. I think I need to go back and try encasing MM. I only used it as surface decoration ... and that was my feedback ... I love it but wished it was encaseable/implodable.

Here is the link to the original thread if you want to see some of the other results.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2011-05-21 at 9:27am. Reason: Add link
Old 2011-05-21, 9:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
There was a thread for the Box of Mystery but it's dropped to several pages back.

Thanks for starting a new one and resurrecting some of the results. I love the eye candy.

Rebecca ... those green beads are gorgeous. I think I need to go back and try encasing MM. I only used it as surface decoration ... and that was my feedback ... I love it but wished it was encaseable/implodable.

Here is the link to the original thread if you want to see some of the other results.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187496
Ooops. Didnt see that thread. Might be best for a mod to merge these two. So far I am loving these colors! I see lots of potential in the 628 A/P. Hope there is still some left to purchase. Those green beads are beautiful. I havent played with the moss yet but it is sitting there staring at me waiting for inspiration So many colors.....So little time.
Old 2011-05-21, 10:12am

Thanks for the link Laura! I neeeeeeed some of the blue/green. Wow that's a nice color.

Old 2011-05-21, 1:20pm

Here are some recent ones of mine. Main set in middle: Mai Tai Pin with various amounts of reduction worked in.

lower left: Mai Tai Green fully encased.

lower right: Mai Tai Pink rolled in Triple Passion Frit.

Old 2011-05-21, 2:19pm

Those are looking really nice everybody, I have been busy building a new studio so "sigh" I have not been able to play with my mystery box colors lately
Old 2011-05-22, 12:02pm

Please please be very cautious with imploding the Mighty Moss JADE variant that was in the box... it's not particularly stable in encasements. We have a new run that seems to be handling the encasement much better. Rebecca, are you mixing that Mighty Moss Jade down, thin, and running it in a short cycle? And those are Mai Tai Pink??? I have never seen it look like that! Cool!
Everyone is doing such pretty stuff...

OH! And we do have a little of the OG A/P left, plus Paul has played with that recipe again so there is likely to be more in the future.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-05-22, 1:23pm

Hi Jenny! Those colors I got from Glasscraft so I don't think it was the jade variant, it may be your new run but I'm not sure. There may even be a little of the HBL in the green beads. lol They were most likely in the kiln 4-5 hours total, garaged at 1050, taken up to 1130 for maybe 30 minutes and hour and a half anneal give or take. There is plenty of clear. Sort of a test but it worked fine. No checking at all.

The pink is definitely not Mai Tai pink. It was on the TAG page too as Pink Experimental. Maybe it's not yours? I thought it was but...shrug.

I've showed these before but I'll do it again. These were made from the Mai Tai Pink Experimental I got from you last year at the Frantz Bash.

I tested it over all sorts of colors, unob, pom, orange #5, IMO they're all yummy except for maybe the one over Silvercreek. I love Mai Tai!

I think I need to call you payday and hopefully you'll have some OG A/P left.

Old 2011-05-22, 3:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
OH! And we do have a little of the OG A/P left, plus Paul has played with that recipe again so there is likely to be more in the future.
Nice. Sent you an email regarding that.
Old 2011-05-22, 5:33pm

Hi Jenny.

So the "Jade" variant of MM is the problem with encasing/imploding. Is there other Mighty Mosses hanging around?? I love Millenium Moss so of course I love Mighty Moss as well. I've only used it on the surface.

And the OG AP looks cool. I don't think that I played with that one yet. Too much glass, too little time.

Old 2011-06-09, 2:49pm

Hi, kids, we're back from two back-to-back shows, now.

Someone else just alerted me to the older EXP colors on the Glasscraft page, and frankly some of them I can't even remember, lol! The one they call Pink Experimental might be a predecessor to the Pink Cadillac? I don't really remember a transparent, just a translucent. The Mai Tai Pink is much darker than those pretty, light pink beads.

As for the Mighty Moss, look for batch numbers if you can. Batches that end in a 9 are the older formula. The reformulation that is more stable will be marked with batch numbers ending in a 1.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-09, 5:18pm
Save the Numbats

I just ordered three pounds of various experimental TAG Mai Tais from ABR. Pretty exciting! Looking forward to checking them out.