Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-12, 1:35pm
Cats & Glass!

Hi Leslie,

Those are already discounted right now. Next week, I'll start with the code for the 20% off the regular colors. If you want one (or more), let me know and we can add it to your order at the discounted price.

Janelle

P.S. Lori, those are GORGEOUS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebay -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2007-04-13, 1:36pm

I made this heart using the new "Gerber Pink" mixed rod. I found it to be more red/coral than pink, but I still like it. This heart is very small and was quickly done, so the color may work differently for others. It seemed to want to flame strike, and my one hour at 1100 degrees may have been to hot for it.
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-13, 1:50pm

Beautiful color and heart Eric! Pinkish red.... mmmmmm Can't wait for mine to come.

Old 2007-04-13, 3:04pm

OHHHHH, just got my MOMKA order in about 1 hour ago....can't wait for tomorrow.......that heart is stunning!!!
Old 2007-04-13, 3:07pm
yukue fumei

WOW--gorgeous heart!!

nagi

Old 2007-04-13, 3:33pm

Toni, I love your logo!!
Eric, I't say cool heart but nope.... it is HOT!!! Nice.

Old 2007-04-13, 8:32pm
Flamewoman

Ok Here's a stupid question for you all. How do you make slices of the floral cane? I hope you can use glass nippers if not I can't afford another tool, I've ordered too much glass. I made the mistake of ordering a few boro rods, and now I find myself unable to stop planning on getting more, more, more.....
I've ordered all the floral canes, and a few others from Janelle, now I'm thinking frit. I'm fretting that I don't have any boro frit. Can you make it yourself?
Mary K
Old 2007-04-13, 9:17pm
yukue fumei

Hi Mary!
You can totally use glass nippers. Get a big gallon plastic ziploc and cut the rod in there. This will keep your newly cut pieces from flying all over the room I cut mine about 1/8" if I can manage it.
woohoo--you've caught the boro bug! congratulations--there is no cure! At least you will have the time of your life as it totally consumes you!
You can make frit on your own, but it is so much easier to buy it. I think Chad(Cosmo) sells small amounts of straight color and there are several vendors here that sell mixes
Good luck!

nagi

Old 2007-04-14, 5:54am

The Venerable Bead, our very own Paula makes awesome variety frits you will want to try and don't forget to get clear frit, a must for boro users...

Old 2007-04-14, 12:34pm
The Venerable Bead

thanks for the plug kay! mary check out my website for frit blends in sample sizes

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-04-16, 2:58pm
yukue fumei

Lots o pics--oink! oink!!!
please excuse me hogging the thread!
first, here's a yummy pic of the murrini I cut on my diamond saw. Ended up that the murrini cut with nippers were indistiguishable from the ones I cut and painstakingly polished....oh well....but I made alot!

here are some beads:

And here is a copy(well kinda--I tried) of a bead I saw in the Japanese issue of The Flow.....a landscape bead(please excuse kiln/bead release dust

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-04-16 at 3:08pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2007-04-16, 3:06pm
yukue fumei

but wait--here's more LOL!
I am trying to think of different applications of these wonderful canes. And here is one of the ideas(please excuse--I don't make many sculptures, and this was going to be a frog but when I started making him I thought, well, he looks better as a dragon--so here is a hodge podge dragon!). The eye is made from Antique Beauty murrini. it really gives alot of nice depth. I dotted the center with Precision Jet Black, BTW):

the top is made with a gorgeous experimental color--it is pearly grey with lots of silver in it--even fumed the unobtanium with green and blue. I wish I had gotten more when Momka first offered it....Didn't know it would be the perfect color for dragons!

nagi

Old 2007-04-16, 3:07pm

Already ordered all the flower rods. Everyones beads are very nice But nagi, that landscape bead is great. gayle
Old 2007-04-16, 3:09pm

Wow to both of you! Very cool! I tried doing the flower thing inside one of my meteorites, but it didn't turn out anything like yours. Plus, I ended up getting some bubbles. Dang it. Oh well, I will try again tomorrow.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-16, 3:13pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Already ordered all the flower rods. Everyones beads are very nice But nagi, that landscape bead is great. gayle
thanks Gayle!

nagi

Old 2007-04-16, 3:14pm
yukue fumei

thanks Eric!

nagi

Old 2007-04-16, 4:38pm

Aw.... but that dragon is to die for!! I love it and what a great idea for the eye.. Wow....

Old 2007-04-16, 6:02pm
yukue fumei

Thanks Kay!!!
I really appreciate your kind words on my dragon!I am a sculpture baby still and it's a little nerve wracking to post them(I like him though--the eye looks really cool in person)!
I've got a whole list of experiments I am working on.....
I am going to work on Blue Treasure next for the eyeball, and gee, I haven't even tried these colors in a marble yet....the possibilities are endless!
Fun Fun Fun!!

nagi

Old 2007-04-16, 6:07pm
The Venerable Bead

Nagi, my 9 y/o DS thinks that dragon is the coolest thing he's ever seen! I'm loving it too! sculpture baby my butt lol!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-04-16, 6:24pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Nagi, your beads are beautiful, but the Dragon is fantastic!

#K58
Old 2007-04-16, 7:15pm
mystical cat lover 56

Thumbs up

Love them !
Old 2007-04-16, 7:48pm
yukue fumei

OMG! You all are the bestest!!!
Thank you so much!!!
Paula--I played with this guy too long and he cracked, but if I can make another one, I will send it to your DS! I think that would make my dragon happy!(now if I can only make the body!)

nagi

Old 2007-04-18, 6:26am
ManBearPig

I generally don't use the multi-colored rods because the color combinations don't appeal to me, but I'm getting down to "crunch time" getting ready for the Hot Glass Festival, so I pulled out some of the multi-colored rods I had sitting around and made these last night...

A couple of them are canes I made myself, but most are Momka's rods.

Old 2007-04-18, 7:03am

those are great! Looks like a lot of wig wags?? Great use of the multis....

Old 2007-04-18, 7:18am

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
but wait--here's more LOL!
I am trying to think of different applications of these wonderful canes. And here is one of the ideas(please excuse--I don't make many sculptures, and this was going to be a frog but when I started making him I thought, well, he looks better as a dragon--so here is a hodge podge dragon!). The eye is made from Antique Beauty murrini. it really gives alot of nice depth. I dotted the center with Precision Jet Black, BTW):

the top is made with a gorgeous experimental color--it is pearly grey with lots of silver in it--even fumed the unobtanium with green and blue. I wish I had gotten more when Momka first offered it....Didn't know it would be the perfect color for dragons!
this is one of the nicest dragon heads ive ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-18, 10:56am
yukue fumei

WOW-thanks so much Ro!!
Coming from you that means alot!(You are the sculpture queen!)

Chad--love your pendants! Really wonderful! Are they hard to make?

nagi

Old 2007-04-18, 10:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
WOW-thanks so much Ro!!
Coming from you that means alot!(You are the sculpture queen!)

Chad--love your pendants! Really wonderful! Are they hard to make?
Not really. Take the rod, twist it up, flatten it, and stick some clear on it.

Old 2007-04-18, 11:04am
San Diego Toni

Nagi - LOVE the dragon - he's FANTASTIC!!!

Great pendants Chad - great idea for making quick inventory!
Good luck at the show

Old 2007-04-18, 11:08am

Beautiful work, everyone! So inspiring and creative.

Rose

Old 2007-04-18, 11:18am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Not really. Take the rod, twist it up, flatten it, and stick some clear on it.
No way!! That's cool--I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks!! Ditto on the good luck at the show!

Thanks so much Toni!!

Thanks Rose!!

nagi