Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-03-23, 11:59pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Corina's book, Passing The Flame, also has a picture of a pleated bead on page 118...

pat
Old 2008-03-24, 10:05am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzie View Post
I tried again today. Well not too bad but I didn't have enough colors in my twistie. And I might add it takes FOREVER on a hot head. lol. But I like it regardless. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully will do a better twistie so it will show the pleats.
This is neat! Is that "shampoo" on the ends? It looks kind of iridescent! Very pretty stuff in here - one of these days, I'm gonna try it! I'm on a Hot Head, too...!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-24, 11:17am
Does that shed?

Awww thanks! No it's not shampoo it's CIM Ginger. I made another one earlier today with urboros rods and I actually got real pleats. I'll see if I can get a pic. This one went a bit quicker. lol

Last edited by Anzie; 2008-03-24 at 12:06pm.
Old 2008-03-24, 5:06pm

I finally found one of my pleated beads. It's not a great pic, but you can see the effect. I used Clear and one of the tropical corals.
Hugs
Lynnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
Old 2008-03-27, 7:35pm

OK I finally have a couple sets of my pleated beads to share:

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-28, 10:08am

Congrats, these are very nice pleat beads!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-03-28, 10:16am

Thank you Verena, I tried making a longer bead, we'll see how THAT turns out! LOL I am working without my right hand (and I am right handed ) LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Congrats, these are very nice pleat beads!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-30, 3:25pm

Here are my cased twisty beads that I think are what others are calling pleated.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-04-03, 4:07pm
I'm the redhead!

Those are beautiful!

My Website:

"To worry is to let your imagination create things you do not want." Abraham
Old 2008-04-21, 3:34am

Thank you all really good info and your tut Verena

I thought I would have a try

Lindy
Old 2008-04-21, 4:26am

Hi Lindy! Glad it was of use, your beads turned our beautifully!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-04-21, 6:58am
Dangerous Woman

Beautiful Lindy!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-04-21, 8:28am
Smooches!

Very nice video Verena! Thanks for sharing!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-04-21, 11:15am
Virginia.

Hi, want to thank you SO much for your video - not sure if these look all that pleated, but spreading my cane, only encasing the cane has increased considerably how far I can spread it out. They take awhile, but I am just having the best fun. I am "cane making obsessed", and now I am "cane spreading obsessed" - my muse is pushy - she gets in a rut and won't let me out - I am not complaining though - thanks again - Virginia
Attached Images

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-04-21, 12:22pm

Hi Virginia!
You made beautiful beads! I especially like the 2nd and the last one. Keep up the good work!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-04-22, 12:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyj View Post

Lindy

Nice pleats Lindy

Liz

Old 2008-04-22, 10:10am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Here are my cased twisty beads that I think are what others are calling pleated.
I really like these....I *always* love your beadis Lara!!!

Virginia, yours are so cool too....twisiting the twisties, isn't glass fun?

Nice work ladies

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-04-22, 7:31pm

Thanks Beadmaven

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-04-23, 6:31am
Pyromaniac

The great thing about this thread is it got me making twisties (ribbon cane) and doing them so much better than before!

But I have to say, you all have the patience of saints to do these beads. Or maybe its just me. . . and boro . . . they take a LONG time!

I'll post some pics soon of my attempts, but I think they look like striped beads more than pleated, LOL.

And btw, I'm supposed to be making crosses for a local shop and got sidetracked on these fun things.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2008-04-23 at 6:33am.
Old 2008-04-23, 6:45am

It may be just me, but I make a distinction between the pleated and striped beads by whether there is an assymetrical fan to the twist. For example, my Fin series is what I would call striped beads.

What I would call a pleated bead is more like this.

Am I just being too picky in my descriptions, or are these both forms of pleated beads?

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-04-23, 9:05am

bueatiful--how did you do it?
Old 2008-04-23, 9:12am

sorry, the page jumped when i posted , i was looking at yellow dogs post of a "baleen" bead she posted when i asked how she did it, in her post she said she was willing to share. gotta to try some of these pleated beads today!!!
Old 2008-04-23, 9:24am
Dangerous Woman

Ginko I agree with you.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-04-23, 12:17pm

I didn't think there was any actual difference. For a name, I thought they were all encased twistie beads. I guess names are what we make them.
Old 2008-04-23, 4:04pm
moth to the flame

I agree Nancy.

I mean don't they all originate from a twistie?
I thought the only difference is choice of glass used and the tightness of the twistie.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-04-23, 4:13pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

To me, it's all about the way they look. Yes, they're all made from twisties. But as you said, Dona, the choice of glass plays an important role. IMO, in striped beads, you only get a one dimensional look. For me to consider something a pleated bead, it must look... Well... pleated! Like the pleats in skirts. Three dimensional. That look comes from a careful choice of opaque AND transparent glass, the construction of the twisty and, of course, the construction of the bead itself.

Take the usage of the term "ribbon cane": I was taught that ribbon cane is flat, not round. There must be a flameworking glossary somewhere. If not, there should be. LOL! It would be nice to have consistency throughout the medium.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-04-23, 4:29pm
Virginia.

I think a Glass Flameworking glossary would be wonderful. I often am confused as what to call my "cane" - I just keep making them. I think if someone saw my little glass studio and all the cane or twisties they would die from laughter and wonder what in the world I am doing. I have been too sick to go out there for a few days, and am going thru twistie-cane withdrawl. It is a whole new additional addiction to add on top of lampworking itself.
anyway - thanks for the kind words, Verena and Beadmaven - I love feedback from other lampworkers - I am kind of in the middle of the middle of nowhere - not any other lampworkers right here - have to travel a bit - then they are all boro workers - will have to do some hunting around - see who is in the "woods" - Virginia

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-04-23, 7:31pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Great beads everyone!! I don't know the correct terms for anything, but I call these pleated also. I'm still amazed at all of the different looks/effects that we can create with the same basic thing (twistie).

Here are a couple of my current ones.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-04-25, 10:25am

What a cute pleat-pig!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-04-27, 6:45pm
Virginia.

hey gelly, do one of the pleated beads in black and white for a tuxedo pig - you probably have done tuxedo pigs before I bet - V