LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-20, 4:20am

Wow, Becky! Thank you for sharing your beautiful bead set and information!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-20, 4:32am

Donna,
Did those turn colors "IN" the kiln or were they that color going in? I love the darkest blue one's. I agree with Pat..it is pretty much a crapshot. That's probably the hardest glass for me to get great color out of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-20, 4:35am

BTW Becky those beads ROCK!

Old 2009-02-20, 8:35am
Roo ...

Well, since I apparently haven't killed this thread yet , I'll continue and say I tossed the beads back in for another kiln cycle (this time a "standard" annealing cycle at only 2 hours, again at 950F), and saw some minor improvement (if, by "improvement", you want less red/amber and more blue/purple). I'll take some more photos and post later today for another comparison.

Later,
- Beck.

Old 2009-02-20, 9:47am
Roo ...

Here's photos comparing the first kiln strike to the second. The first photo is a re-post from earlier:

First kiln strike (batch anneal) at 950F for 4 hours:

Second kiln strike at 950F for 2 hours:

My husband moved the photo setup so the second photo is not lit identically to the first -- sorry (reflections! )! But I think you can see they compare readily enough (?). I pulled out 2 beads which did NOT undergo the second strike so you can see the difference. The second strike brought out more blues and made them more opaque (you can't see the white base color much anymore). The raked oval bead struck further but still not enough, IMO. I think I'll leave the spacers as they are, and keep running the oval bead in other annealing batches to see where it goes.

I hope this is helping, or is at least interesting!

Regards,
- Becky in MN

Old 2009-02-20, 1:29pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

I, for one, am enjoying watching the experimentation with the set. I put Pandora on a black bead and let it sit through 3 annealing cycles. I liked the second and third cycles best. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcorgi View Post
Here's photos comparing the first kiln strike to the second. The first photo is a re-post from earlier:

First kiln strike (batch anneal) at 950F for 4 hours:

Second kiln strike at 950F for 2 hours:

My husband moved the photo setup so the second photo is not lit identically to the first -- sorry (reflections! )! But I think you can see they compare readily enough (?). I pulled out 2 beads which did NOT undergo the second strike so you can see the difference. The second strike brought out more blues and made them more opaque (you can't see the white base color much anymore). The raked oval bead struck further but still not enough, IMO. I think I'll leave the spacers as they are, and keep running the oval bead in other annealing batches to see where it goes.

I hope this is helping, or is at least interesting!

Regards,
- Becky in MN

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-02-22, 7:14pm

Kevan,
I just found this thread, and I am in love with your goddess bead, all pandora or pandora on top of some base color. I can't believe the colors, they are amazing. One day I hope to be able to make beads like that, all I can say is WOW. now off to look at the rest of the thread.
Sandra
Old 2009-02-23, 4:36am

Thanks for the latest installment, Becky....will stay tuned for the next post!

Old 2010-08-31, 7:25am

Hi..I am bumping this thread back up because I ordered a pound of what I thought was Psyche and it turned out to be Pandora.I must have been half asleep..but anyway right now you can buy a half pound of seconds of Pandora for 18.75..so I bought a pound.It said the only difference was that I might get some irregular shaped rods..but they looked good to me.I have read this entire thread and was wondering in the last year and a half if anyone has definitively found the secret of Pandora.There were so many contrary ways of working with it..has to be transparent..has to be opaque..garage temps high and annealing higher..all kinds of things short of dancing naked under a full moon
Any new advice about this DH glass that will save me and others from seeing me dancing naked under a full moon?
Thanks
"

Tags
pandora, strike