Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-21, 7:59am
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
I have had one incompatability event with Zephyr. TAG Lake Geneva plus JetAge Taji Opal frit enceased with Zephyr - irregular cracks developed around the bead after 2-3 days. I still love Zephyr and have had no problems over DH glass or Effetre. I have batch 5.14.11-4.
I didn't complete the survey because I misunderstood the instructions and was waiting for it to be emailed to me!!! Should read instructions more closely!!
I have had cracking issues with the Taji Opal frit in the past. I can't remember the combinations, but at the time I suspected it was the frit that was causing the problem. Zephyr didn't even exist at the time, so I think it is probably the frit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-21, 10:34am

Yes, I too had a nice bead crack with the Taji Opal frit in it.
Old 2011-06-29, 9:16pm
needs creative tagline

This has taken longer than expected to get around to...

The cranberry and the clockwork/clio beads have both been soaked and cleaned. Still no cracks.

Both of these beads have zephyr on the left half and TAG clarity on the right. The left bead is psyche, the right is clio.

laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-06-29, 9:31pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

This is clio over white, reduced then encased in Zephyr clear. I have never before gotten color out of clio, and I think the ease of encasing had something to do with it.

This is Striking Color c523 heavily encased with Zephyr. These were made 2 weeks ago and no cracks! I love this glass, mainly for the viscosity of it!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-10-04, 7:01pm
professional gimme fiver

Any word on when DH is releasing this glass??

Old 2011-10-04, 7:08pm

DH says 2 - 3 weeks! That was a couple of weeks ago, so very soon!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206355

Last edited by Ari'elle; 2011-10-04 at 7:17pm.
Old 2011-10-05, 1:35pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Zephyr Release Date - October 14

Zephyr will be released on October 14th. We are making up the Retail Newsletter, and preparing Distributor shipments as we speak. Thanks for your collective patience. We are very excited to get this new clear glass out on the market!
Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2011-10-05, 2:04pm
Storm Queen

Whooohoo!

Old 2011-10-05, 3:36pm

Yippee!

Old 2011-10-05, 4:05pm

Very excited here! Thanks so much Jed and Julie!!

Old 2011-10-05, 4:47pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Woo!

Old 2011-10-05, 5:31pm

All Right!!
Old 2011-10-05, 6:59pm
Duchess of Dichro

Cool!!

Old 2011-10-06, 3:30am
Evil Glass Enabler

This is wonderful! Thank you. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-10-06, 6:51am
Newfoundland lover!

Yay!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2011-10-06, 11:48am
professional gimme fiver

Woot! Can't wait to get my hands on some Zephyr!

Old 2011-10-06, 4:06pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

It's the BEST birthday surprise ever..... I'm sooooooo excited to get some. I've been patiently waiting to stock up on my favorite DH glass until Zephyr comes out. I may not sleep until then. Just out of curiosity, which of the many versions of Zephyr made it to production. I had the one ending in .1 and I was in heaven. What made it beyond the testing stage?
Cara (my daughter just told me I shouldn't squeel like a kid when I read email)

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-10-06, 4:26pm
Lover of all things color

That is fantastic news. I just really fight with clear and Zephyr was wonderful. Wonder what the price point will be, want to save up enough. And will there be different sizes. I know, I'll just have to wait.
I'm going on a little vacation on the 10th and will be back the 14th. What a nice homecoming...LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-10-06, 5:52pm
Triumphantly Knit!

finally, yey!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-10-14, 1:41pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Zephyr is now available. Enjoy.
Old 2011-10-14, 2:06pm
Got space flowers?

Ordered mine , can't wait to try it

Karin

Old 2011-10-15, 7:49am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Scored mine as well Thanks so much

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-10-17, 11:26am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Zephyr Limit has been removed.

We have removed the one pound Zephyr limit.

There was not supposed to be a limit on the Zephyr release this past Friday. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. It was an error on my part.

If you ordered Zephyr from us since its release and wanted more than a pound;

-We will refund your shipping cost on a second order.
-The shipping method needs to be the same as your first order.
-We will apply the 10% discount if your two orders combined qualify.
-This offer is good until this Friday, Oct. 21st, 2011.
-When you place your second order, please enter your invoice # from your first order in the notes field.

Thank you and stay healthy!
Julie Hannay
Old 2011-10-17, 11:58am
Always Improving

Mine shipped this morning, cannot wait to try it out

Of course if it is a great as I think, it will also mean ordering more this week.
Old 2011-10-26, 9:54am
Smile, it's contagious!

Has anyone tried to etch Zephyr yet? If so, care to share your results??

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-10-27, 10:58am

you cant etch it
Old 2011-10-27, 11:08am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks Adam!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-10-27, 7:17pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Zephyr, 8mm diameter

In response to customer requests, we have pulled several hundred pounds of Zephyr in an 8mm diameter. Actual cane diameter may vary from 6-9mm, but most of it's a solid 8mm. It's great for encasing murrini chips, which is handy, since we just listed a bunch of October 2011 "Suns and Gears" Murrini.

Old 2011-10-27, 10:35pm
professional gimme fiver

I got Zephyr and have been using it for about a week now to encase......well pretty much everything! I prefer Aether for my beads. There's just something to how it reacts with the silver glasses. Zephyr is very nice and I know I'll love it for more artsy beads, but for my silvers it's Aether all the way.

Old 2011-12-10, 4:46pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Wowee!
I had a go at this stuff yesterday, after splashing out on a pound of it.
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
Despite my continued failures at getting silver glasses to do what they do for most anyone else, I was absolutely rapt at its ability to withstand the HH fumes without sooting.
Not one bead had those nasty marks that my special clear always leave, even when it's melted in at a mind-numbingly, soul-destroying slow pace, and I cooked the living bejeebers out of it.

One thing did happen, though. I had one bead crack.

They seem to be compatibility cracks. One horizontally all the way around, and a couple of vertical ones at one end. The spiral core is an odd Purple Plum, encased in Zephyr, with a final single spiral encasing of Orion. The Orion is very stiff, so I'm wondering if it's a viscosity issue, or whether the footprint encasing was a bit risky. The bubble would have caused the horizontal one.
They all have yet to be batch-annealed, but so far, only this one has cracked.

But as a clear encasing glass, I'm very, very happy.
It's worth every cent in terms of having nice, clean beads everytime

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107